Final Thoughts on Transfers

Oddly enough I've never been tempted to label Barfy a "great mind." It's usually closer to "hack columnist." But I digress.

I saw that Tweet earlier and had to look about three times to make sure it wasn't from some Onion-ish site. Takes some pretty heavy rationalization to try to convince yourself that's as true as you'd apparently like it to be.

And it's interesting how quickly the excuses have gone from "Miles has to be given a chance to develop that great sophomore class he recruited" to "it's good they're gone because we're better without them."

• Fire 1

"And it's interesting how quickly the excuses have gone from "Miles has to be given a chance to develop that great sophomore class he recruited" to "it's good they're gone because we're better without them." "

For me personally it has never been about a specific class or recruit and I didn't like the transfers but if it's what ends up working then I suppose it's for the best. I've said the past few months that Miles should have one more year to try to put the puzzle together however that is because on paper he has continued to bring in great pieces even if some have left. With the recent transfers and rumblings of more I got nervous about that thought, but we keep trekking forward. Miles is who we have and even if it hasn't worked out how it should have so far, it looks like it could with the right formula, maybe we find that next year and get our first tourney win, maybe not.

Oddly enough I've never been tempted to label Barfy a "great mind." It's usually closer to "hack columnist." But I digress.

I saw that Tweet earlier and had to look about three times to make sure it wasn't from some Onion-ish site. Takes some pretty heavy rationalization to try to convince yourself that's as true as you'd apparently like it to be.

And it's interesting how quickly the excuses have gone from "Miles has to be given a chance to develop that great sophomore class he recruited" to "it's good they're gone because we're better without them."

Perhaps you could take over for him at OWH.

We've beat this drum before. Lot's of different points.

A) Yes, they could've developed further if they wouldn't have left.

----Problem is 1/2 of them left because they were mad they weren't getting it their way and the other left after admitting he slacked on D and the other left because he wasn't going to get much opp. for PT.

B) We've discussed over and over how they fit into certain roles on GOOD teams, unfortunately counting on them for major roles, led to a 12-19 season. (also can note last years record since they played a big part in that as well)

We traded Morrow for a guy who actually wants Morrow's role. Which is 10-12 minutes a game, defense & rebound ++++++++

We traded Horne for a guy who was a better shooter in HS and at least we can hope he is going to try and play defense +++++++

Still waiting on Jacobsen's replacement ---------

Still waiting on Fuller's replacement, but it will more than likely be a major plus because he could potentially contribute at least. +++++++

Lost Webster and added Nana. I think Nana could be good, but it's obviously going to be a minus in year one. -------------

MattyIce...you are the best at making your point about your love for Miles without being a jerk about it, that is not easy to accomplish. I think you have a lot of good points, I don't think Miles will be that much better this season but you never know.

I don't think any of the freshmen will "help" all that much but most freshmen really don't help that much unless they are just studs.

• Fire 1

MattyIce...you are the best at making your point about your love for Miles without being a jerk about it, that is not easy to accomplish. I think you have a lot of good points, I don't think Miles will be that much better this season but you never know.

I don't think any of the freshmen will "help" all that much but most freshmen really don't help that much unless they are just studs.

I don't know if he will do much better either, but I'm going to give him a chance to, because he is still our coach.

You're right on freshman. I think Watson contributed quite a bit as a frosh. I think Allen can hit some shots for us next year. The replacements for Morrow and Jacobsen aren't going to be frosh, IMO.

Great minds think alike.

Morrow leaving is probably a big loss. The others who knows? It could be that Miles doesn't have the personality to manage the star players like the top coaches do?

Maybe the admin will look for another coach after next year and Miles will go back to the level where he succeeded? I'd just like to know who this magic coach is who is gonna come here because I haven't seen him yet. My guess is the next time they'll skip the up-and-coming mid-major guy and pay for a proven D-1 tournament coach having bad luck who they think still has something left.

​Until then lets dredge up and haggle over meaningless stats about things we already know.

Lee writes an article before the end of the season saying that Miles should be spared because of all the players returning

Couple months later after the season ends at 12-19 and 4 players transfer, "We didn't want them anyway."

Oh and great comparison to John Cook on transfers. He's only one of the most elite volleyball coaches in the country. Perhaps he's earned some leeway with processing out players that he knows won't play much. Other than that, Cook and Miles are totally the same situation.

Hack "journalism"

• Fire 6

Lee writes an article before the end of the season saying that Miles should be spared because of all the players returning

Couple months later after the season ends at 12-19 and 4 players transfer, "We didn't want them anyway."

Oh and great comparison to John Cook on transfers. He's only one of the most elite volleyball coaches in the country. Perhaps he's earned some leeway with processing out players that he knows won't play much. Other than that, Cook and Miles are totally the same situation.

Hack "journalism"

Fair enough. I was taking a quote that was in a tweet. I don't read their articles typically, so didn't recall his stance about "don't fire because we are returning players" to "don't need those guys anyways."

My point all along has been that I like Miles and think he can get the job done, whether it was because I believed he could continue to develop the players he has/had, or whether it was with new guys he had to recruit after they left.

I've posted too many times about the capabilities of the players that left.

Horne will be the guy we will miss the most if he will dedicate himself to working on the defensive end of the court.

I'm done talking about our 4/5's that left. I think highly of Fuller, because he never said boo, busted his tail, got his degree from nebraska. He made a good move for himself to go find somewhere with opportunity for him.

Without Ed Morrow we won 1 big ten game 1...

How many did we win with big Ed?

So...

We sucked with Ed and we sucked without Ed?

Let me just add that I liked Ed and thought he had a role on this team going forward.... it was just that we were having to ask too many minutes out of him.