Final Thoughts on Transfers

The transfers. Don't you think part of the blame is on the players themselves? I mean, Miles didn't want them to leave. The fans didn't want them to leave. Nobody wanted them to leave. But nearly every single guy he's brought in over the past several years was a superstar prima donna coming out of high school, and they expected to be a superstar in college ball. And that's a good thing. IF you can keep them around. IF. But for whatever reason they opted for greener pastures elsewhere. And now we're left to bringing in more guys. Let's just hope we can bring in guys who will stick it out, get us some more wins, and at least get us to the Big Dance. I'm sick of watching teams we beat make get invites to March Madness while we sit at home twiddling our thumbs. <_<

The transfers. Don't you think part of the blame is on the players themselves? I mean, Miles didn't want them to leave. The fans didn't want them to leave. Nobody wanted them to leave. But nearly every single guy he's brought in over the past several years was a superstar prima donna coming out of high school, and they expected to be a superstar in college ball. And that's a good thing. IF you can keep them around. IF. But for whatever reason they opted for greener pastures elsewhere. And now we're left to bringing in more guys. Let's just hope we can bring in guys who will stick it out, get us some more wins, and at least get us to the Big Dance. I'm sick of watching teams we beat make get invites to March Madness while we sit at home twiddling our thumbs. <_<

Well...sort of. Morrow played on a super stacked high school team and was probably the 3rd best player.

Jacobson might have been the best on his team, I have no idea.

To the extent that it's ultimately the player's decision, yes - the blame is on them.

But at this point it's obviously a trend of players feeling they're not being used or developed as they should be here, and the constant in that is Miles.

Pitchford said he didn't even want to play basketball anymore but it turned out he just didn't want to play for Miles anymore.

Petteway might be a stretch but he still left early with only the slightest of chance to make the NBA.

White was ridiculed by many - including Jacobson - for thinking he needed to go somewhere else where he could develop better.

Morrow basically felt sunk by Miles inability to recruit bigs to the point that he was forcing an undersized four man to play the five.

Jacobson was drug into the same hole by Morrow leaving.

None of those guys left because they were stuck on the end of the bench not getting to play. They all left (allowing for Petteway) because they didn't think they would be able to be the best player they could be if they stayed here. One group might look at that as selfish. But that's a lot of pretty good players to try to shrug it off as all the player's fault.

• Fire 1

Pitchford was god awful his final season at Nebraska. Just saying.

In no small part due to not wanting to play for Miles anymore.

Wait, did you just say he was awful because he didn't want to play for Miles? Why wouldn't you want to play for a guy who took you dancing? That's a joke right?

Pitchford was god awful his final season at Nebraska. Just saying.

In no small part due to not wanting to play for Miles anymore.

Wait, did you just say he was awful because he didn't want to play for Miles? Why wouldn't you want to play for a guy who took you dancing? That's a joke right?

Why would he quit the team saying he didn't want to play basketball anymore then go play basketball somewhere else?

Well...sort of. Morrow played on a super stacked high school team and was probably the 3rd best player.

Jacobson might have been the best on his team, I have no idea.

coming from Waukee, Jacobson wasn't always necessarily the "best" player, but he was almost always the tallest, which would negate any athletic advantages other players would have over him since Jacobson is pretty athletic himself.

• 2 weeks later...

Given the resources and facilities, Miles has vastly underperformed. He'd be underperforming if we were still playing at Devaney. I'm not saying we should have kept Doc or Collier, but they were already doing better than Miles without the upgrades.

That should not be acceptable. Throw the obvious lack of buy-in down the stretch and a slew of transfers, I don't see how Miles is in the coaching seat a year from now. He has a couple potentially good-great players coming in. If he wants to keep his job, they're going to have to follow through on that potential in spades.

I'm all for moving on from Miles. I was surprised Eichorst kept him. I think we're starting to see that wasn't necessarily the best decision.

I don't dislike Miles. He seems to be a nice guy - at least his public image ... won't go farther than that. He seems to do *most* things above average as it pertains to his job. He recruits relatively well. He's funny. He's good with the media and fans.

Unfortunately, the few things he lacks are the things that really matter the most - the ability to put a team together and, apparently, the ability to connect with players enough to keep guys around. And for as much all the other stuff is nice, at some point it simply doesn't matter when the product you put out on the floor is significantly below average.

Miles has almost every advantage imaginable compare to other coaches that have been here. He has an arena that is on par with most of the best college arenas in the country. He has a practice facility that is literally as good or better than any in the country - at any level. He has - supposedly - as much talent as we've had in at least 20 years.

Yet for all that, he's been within one loss of the school record four out of five years here. If you have all those advantages and continue to be about the worst we've ever been, really the only conclusion left to reach is that he is a sub-par coach.

That's the sad truth of it.

Or that we're playing in a much better league.

To me it always comes back to one question.......'Bill Self is coaching Illinois, does he take more money to come to Nebraska?'

Show me a top coach who thinks Nebraska is the place to go. It could very well be that you're right......and the next coach will be sub-par.......and the next. I say stick with Miles as long as he's bringing in talent and do what it takes to get better at managing egos.

I don't dislike Miles. He seems to be a nice guy - at least his public image ... won't go farther than that. He seems to do *most* things above average as it pertains to his job. He recruits relatively well. He's funny. He's good with the media and fans.

Unfortunately, the few things he lacks are the things that really matter the most - the ability to put a team together and, apparently, the ability to connect with players enough to keep guys around. And for as much all the other stuff is nice, at some point it simply doesn't matter when the product you put out on the floor is significantly below average.

Miles has almost every advantage imaginable compare to other coaches that have been here. He has an arena that is on par with most of the best college arenas in the country. He has a practice facility that is literally as good or better than any in the country - at any level. He has - supposedly - as much talent as we've had in at least 20 years.

Yet for all that, he's been within one loss of the school record four out of five years here. If you have all those advantages and continue to be about the worst we've ever been, really the only conclusion left to reach is that he is a sub-par coach.

That's the sad truth of it.

Or that we're playing in a much better league.

To me it always comes back to one question.......'Bill Self is coaching Illinois, does he take more money to come to Nebraska?'

Show me a top coach who thinks Nebraska is the place to go. It could very well be that you're right......and the next coach will be sub-par.......and the next. I say stick with Miles as long as he's bringing in talent and do what it takes to get better at managing egos.

Nebraska isn't playing in a much better league, though.