USA Today: Nebraska Bets on Lee

Almost every time Tanner Lee was knocked down at Tulane, he’d get up. And he was knocked down plenty: Tulane allowed a combined 51 sacks in 2014 and 2015, Lee’s two seasons as the Green Wave’s starting quarterback, not to mention the near-incalculable number of times he was hit, pressured, shoved, smashed and crushed behind one of the nation’s most porous offensive lines.

But he wasn’t unbreakable. Lee missed time due to a concussion. Had a shoulder ailment — a joint separation suffered when falling to the turf, smashed flat by 300-pound linemen — and multiple injuries to his hand. One, a broken index finger, came when his digit became entangled in a helmet; the other, to his ring finger, needed an inserted pin to be stabilized.

“I got a hit a lot, yeah,” Lee said of his time at Tulane, in a drastic understatement: Lee was a tackling dummy, easy prey for defensive predators salivating at the idea of deconstructing the Green Wave’s flimsy offense. And he struggled, predictably.

During his two playing seasons at Tulane, encompassing his redshirt freshman and sophomore campaigns, Lee compiled barely more touchdowns, 23, than interceptions, 21. He completed little above half of his attempts. Only once in 19 games did he pass for more than 300 yards.

Link

• Fire 1

Pretty fair read. I'm confident in Lee, and it helps knowing the backups are solid and working hard too.

For the first time in probably 20 years we have some decent QB depth (per the coaches). Hopefully we choose to see POB and not have to see him. If the coach speak is to be believed, we finally have quality depth at a position that has hurt us when the the starter goes down,

• Fire 1

Pretty fair read. I'm confident in Lee, and it helps knowing the backups are solid and working hard too.

For the first time in probably 20 years we have some decent QB depth (per the coaches). Hopefully we choose to see POB and not have to see him. If the coach speak is to be believed, we finally have quality depth at a position that has hurt us when the the starter goes down,

j am not sure how you determine depth based on a guy who has taken no snaps in college ball and another guy who hasn't played for over a year.....Lee, at best, was average at Tulane.

not sayin they can't be good for us, but there is much unknown.

• Fire 1

Hopefully the choice to see POB is early and often in the season...like, for example, mid-3rd quarter vs. Arkansas State.

j am not sure how you determine depth based on a guy who has taken no snaps in college ball and another guy who hasn't played for over a year.....Lee, at best, was average at Tulane.

Eh, it was pretty obvious watching the spring game. Mechanics, footwork, solid passing and decisions. I'm not saying they will do that well in real games obviously. But with this position, it usually is WYSIWYG. I saw enough to have confidence for sure.

• Fire 2

I guess over the last 15 years Zac Taylor, Joe Ganz and Sam Keller didn't qualify as real quarterbacks?

And over the last 20 years having Keller/Ganz or Ganz/Witt/Lee didn't count as decent depth?

I think that Ganz was the best of the bunch. MNC in 2009 with him IMO...... Zac was a very good QB. Not real depth behind him. I think we have had good QB's, but little depth behind them.

• Fire 1

My opinion is based purely on comments from those who have seen all 3 play/practice. Whether it translates on the field is another question. All 3 are Riley's guys so he sees something in them. Based on those comments and those from talking heads and some of the QB camps, these guys all have legit talent at the QB position. They are the prototypical QB. Not athletes who play QB nor guys who were only offered the opportunity to play QB at NU.

I hope all 3 are what we expect (and the staff) or this season gets real old, real fast.

I guess over the last 15 years Zac Taylor, Joe Ganz and Sam Keller didn't qualify as real quarterbacks?

And over the last 20 years having Keller/Ganz or Ganz/Witt/Lee didn't count as decent depth?

No.

I'm convinced that great QB play enhances talent around you but in the case of a Wisconsin, scheme and identity can manage the QB