Something that scared me about the Wisconsin game

1 minute ago, unlfan said:

It all comes down to $, and the root of the money tree is the fan base. Enough losing and soon enough that stadium won't be as full every Saturday. Less purchased tickets, less merchandise, etc. etc.

The fan base has absolutely everything to do with it.

Wrong man. The root of the money tree is the Big 10 and people with big money that support the program. I doubt those people are content with losing, and it shows with Eichhorst being canned. 

27 minutes ago, unlfan said:

Totally disagree. Would be kicked out of the Big 10 in a second if fans stopped watching Nebraska games on TV. The fan base is at root of it all.

OK fine let's say you're right, at what point should the fans stop supporting the program to get the administration in gear? At what point should the fans come back?

23 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'm sick and tired of everyone pissing and moaning because we suck so bad. There are positives if you choose to seek them out and watching the huskers is still very enjoyable. Being on this site has almost become insufferable. Everyone wants to win but I'm not going to be in a state of hysteria over losing because there isn't jack s#!t I can do about it. Yall can be mad and sick and tired all you want, I'll keep rooting for the greatest program in college football win lose or draw and I'll have a great time doing it. When we are back on top I'll be happy to say I never left. 

You know, you are right.  At one point in the 4th quarter, I left the room and came back in and briefly mistook Wisconsin for Nebraska. I was so excited with the giant holes they were opening up and the big runs they were getting almost every down!!!  Then I realized my mistake and reality came crashing in.  

But seriously there are some positive things about this team.  The biggest I think is that they haven't really QUIT yet.  They keep playing their best for the whole 60 minutes, which is something that did not always happen with Bo.  A lot of times you could see him screaming at people and just watch the rest of the team decide to quit right there.

The problem is that there are so many coaching negatives that these poor kids don't really have much of a chance.  

1 minute ago, neepster said:

You know, you are right.  At one point in the 4th quarter, I left the room and came back in and briefly mistook Wisconsin for Nebraska. I was so excited with the giant holes they were opening up and the big runs they were getting almost every down!!!  Then I realized my mistake and reality came crashing in.  

But seriously there are some positive things about this team.  The biggest I think is that they haven't really QUIT yet.  They keep playing their best for the whole 60 minutes, which is something that did not always happen with Bo.  A lot of times you could see him screaming at people and just watch the rest of the team decide to quit right there.

The problem is that there are so many coaching negatives that these poor kids don't really have much of a chance.  

Well if that's the case we should be excited. These are the positives I am talking about. I think we've seen a team capable of winning in each game we have played. You can see flashes and potential and effort and think "if only they just executed better" or "If only we had a better gameplan" This team, which is really young by the way, has some talent and some heart imo and it is exciting to think a guy like Frost could come in and fix those execution problems and gameplan gaffs and we could be a salty team. I just see potential there and that is what I tend to take away from games this season. 

The way the seasons have been going, the product on the field does not justify the ticket cost or booster request.  What does Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois, and Northwestern charge for a game day experience?  If Nebraska is going to play .500 ball the administration should lower ticket prices to 1950s levels.  Crappy endzone nosebleed tickets are $55-67 a seat and decent lower sideline tickets are in the $120-200+ range.  Who wants to pay that sort of money with the product we're seeing on the field?  I think $30 for the cheap tickets is closer to what they should be charging.

Ohio State is a night game against a top rated team at home, yet I think you'll see people trying to unload their tickets based on the weather and the likely outcome. 

How long before Nebraska routinely gets put on other team's Homecoming game schedule?  How long before our sellout streak gets called out because there are too many empty seats or too many opposing fans in the stadium.  It's going to be hard for them to demand premier pricing for a continued subpar performance.  Just like TV has moved us to second and third tier TV times and channels unless we're playing a premier team.

3 hours ago, InOmaha said:

The way the seasons have been going, the product on the field does not justify the ticket cost or booster request.  What does Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois, and Northwestern charge for a game day experience?  If Nebraska is going to play .500 ball the administration should lower ticket prices to 1950s levels.  Crappy endzone nosebleed tickets are $55-67 a seat and decent lower sideline tickets are in the $120-200+ range.  Who wants to pay that sort of money with the product we're seeing on the field?  I think $30 for the cheap tickets is closer to what they should be charging.

Ohio State is a night game against a top rated team at home, yet I think you'll see people trying to unload their tickets based on the weather and the likely outcome. 

How long before Nebraska routinely gets put on other team's Homecoming game schedule?  How long before our sellout streak gets called out because there are too many empty seats or too many opposing fans in the stadium.  It's going to be hard for them to demand premier pricing for a continued subpar performance.  Just like TV has moved us to second and third tier TV times and channels unless we're playing a premier team.

Bring Frost to town and those problems go away immediately.

I think a lot of the anger husker fans would be feeling and showing is appeased by the fact that Perlman is no longer here and Eichorst is out.  I noticed that the fans weren't as negative after a loss like that as I would have expected but I don't think it's fan apathy as much as most people thinking it's just a matter of time before we have a new AD and Coach.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, shyndy said:

I think a lot of the anger husker fans would be feeling and showing is appeased by the fact that Perlman is no longer here and Eichorst is out.  I noticed that the fans weren't as negative after a loss like that as I would have expected but I don't think it's fan apathy as much as most people thinking it's just a matter of time before we have a new AD and Coach.

You mean fans now have some hope and something to look forward to?  We shouldn't have such negative thoughts!  This could impact recruiting and a whole host of problems.

5 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

What would the reaction be if we won the game?

Well, at this point the odds of that are slightly less than 1 in 20... which is about as long odds as one ever gets for a football game between two FBS opponents... so I guess the Vegas reaction would be that the fix was in... :)

On 10/8/2017 at 11:14 AM, RedNebraskan said:

Typically after a loss to Wisconsin or any team for that matter, I get so mad that my whole weekend gets ruined.  I replay the game in my head and I just keep getting madder and madder, and the emotions from the game stay with me for days.  

After too many of these types of games over the years, that doesn't happen anymore.  I REALLY hate loosing to Wisconsin, probably more than any other team.  But after loosing to them again, season record at .500 again, probably loosing the West again, being embarrassed by their running game again, and seeing Riley be content with loosing again, after all that, I just don't care. I'm not mad, upset, or passionate.  I don't care.  And that scares me a lot.  

I love the Huskers, but years and years of disappointment, hearing that "We will be relevant again" and "Next year will be better", I'm just sick of it.

Maybe part of it is that you are becoming more mature about watching sports and not allowing performance of 18 - 21 year old kids to affect you emotionally so much.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Maybe part of it is that you are becoming more mature about watching sports and not allowing performance of 18 - 21 year old kids to affect you emotionally so much.

This is me. I've seen enough of real life that football isn't much more than a distraction.

I just sat through four quarters of knowing Wisconsin was going to win, and loved most of it just for the experience of it all.  I'm expecting to lose to Ohio State and that's a drag, but I'll still be there, standing up and raising as many decibels as I can for four quarters. 

I want the team to do better. I want Riley to have that crazy late-life success story. I want our players to be jumping around and having a great time all the time.  But that's not our reality right now, and that's OK. 

I'll be back next game cheering again.  Hopefully we win that one. 

• Plus1 1

This entire topic reminds me of a conversation I had with my brother once.  We both grew up in Nebraska, graduated from UNL, were and still are avid Husker fans.  We still follow the Huskers and watch every game we can.

He now lives in the New England states.  We were talking about the difference between sports here in Nebraska and being a Husker fan where he lives.  He said he actually enjoys it more.  I asked, why?  He said, I get together with Husker fans at a watch site, eat, drink...cheer on the Huskers.  I follow all the coaching and recruiting moves...etc.  However, no matter if they win or lose, not everyone I talk to for the rest of the week is distraught or upset about it.

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is me. I've seen enough of real life that football isn't much more than a distraction.

I just sat through four quarters of knowing Wisconsin was going to win, and loved most of it just for the experience of it all.  I'm expecting to lose to Ohio State and that's a drag, but I'll still be there, standing up and raising as many decibels as I can for four quarters. 

I want the team to do better. I want Riley to have that crazy late-life success story. I want our players to be jumping around and having a great time all the time.  But that's not our reality right now, and that's OK. 

I'll be back next game cheering again.  Hopefully we win that one. 

There's a lot more important things in life to be upset about than if the Huskers win or lose.  Yes, I was very disappointed and frustrated after the game Saturday.

But, I'm old enough to know that it's not going to drastically affect my happiness.