Is Scott Frost the ONLY Answer?

3 hours ago, CheeseHusker said:

I'm sure TO probably prepared him for everything.... and I'm sure if Scott does get hired that TO will probably be among the first people to reach out.

Don't get me wrong.... I think he's the guy I'd like to see coaching here, but he has a very difficult task ahead of him and if it doesn't work out, it could be ugly. Of course, I could also see people resenting him if he didn't take the job, kinda like the Stanford thing. It seems like everything is a bit more delicate with Frost.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself IF (and that's a big 'ol hypothetical if) Frost comes to Nebraska and it doesn't work out while there will be some raw emotion at first but my guess is it will all be ok in the end.  The situation that's been floated happened in Green Bay when Bart Starr was the head coach for the Packers.  I think we would all agree that Green Bay is pretty similar to Lincoln in a lot of aspects and the Packers have an incredibly loyal fan base similar to what Nebraska enjoys.  Starr was the QB when GB won the first 2 Super Bowls and after his career he moved into coaching and was the HC for the Packers.  It didn't go well for him (below .500 over several years).  Starr is still absolutely beloved in Green Bay and no one really brings up his coaching career.  Now, obviously things are different nowadays as fans enjoy much, much greater access through social media and other channels.  So I guess where I'm going is will Frost be under a lot of pressure if he takes the Nebraska job?  Yes.  Will he be run out of town like a carpetbagger if things don't go well?  I don't think so.

43 minutes ago, Husker4ever319 said:

Did you personally see them shake hands? Nothing from Moos interview today seems to suggest any of that happening. At this point, it seems that we all want Scott Frost but we do not have a second choice that would make more than 20% of the fans happy.

I’m pretty convinced from what I’ve read here and elsewhere that a handshake deal is in place. I’m also told that there is an impressive candidate as a backup option should Frost get cold feet.

1 hour ago, tfree32 said:

I’m pretty convinced from what I’ve read here and elsewhere that a handshake deal is in place. I’m also told that there is an impressive candidate as a backup option should Frost get cold feet.

Any idea who that may be? I think frost is the best answer for us right now, not the only one, but he best.  He can reunite the fan base, bring some stability back to the program (think he would be given plenty of time to prove himself since he is a native son) and return some Nebraska values to the program. Hopefully he pans out to be a  genius and gets us back to a national power. But if not, at least it will get us out of this negative coaching cycle 

Is Scott Frost the only answer? No.

Is he an answer most of us would like to see? Yes.

Do I hope Frost returns to Lincoln? Of course. However, I'm also of the mind Moos has a plan to change the culture of Nebraska's football program back towards a proud tradition which takes pride on the product which takes the field each weekend. The apathetic mindset of "moral victories" must be shown the door and people on all levels must be held accountable (and while Riley is a very nice guy, his way was the apathetic way).

There must be a bit of patience for whomever is hired to take the reigns, but as long as I see improvement from game to game, I'll be a staunch supporter of the next head man.

18 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

Any idea who that may be? I think frost is the best answer for us right now, not the only one, but he best.  He can reunite the fan base, bring some stability back to the program (think he would be given plenty of time to prove himself since he is a native son) and return some Nebraska values to the program. Hopefully he pans out to be a  genius and gets us back to a national power. But if not, at least it will get us out of this negative coaching cycle 

It sounds like it’s a Power 5 coach with midwestern ties. Nit sure beyond that. But I’m told we would be very pleased to land him if We can’t get Frost signed. So the word is to trust that Moos has this all mapped out and we’ll be pleased with the outcome regardless.

Can someone please explain why Bob Stoops is not an option?! His Oklahoma teams have always been relevant from the second year he took over and they have always been in the playoff picture or at least talked about not to mention how many conference championships he has won. He obviously recruits well and if he could live in Norman Oklahoma for so many years, I am sure he will find Lincoln to be a very nice upgrade. Just curious as to why no one is mentioning him for the Nebraska job. Did he state that he does not want to coach?

6 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

And I think someone like Frost would be given patience to succeed.  I think Bo surprised many NU fans by succeeding so quickly, but fell out of favor because of his crappy demeanor.  Riley never did anything to be given "more time".

Surprised for succeeding so quickly, whaat? 

The year before the players quit on BC, they went to a bowl game from being in a CCG. It's not like BP had table scraps. He inherited a pretty good squad, and could never elivate a team to be great. He was ok, did pretty good with the help of talented playmakers, a rebounding tradition, a soft schedule that helped the 9 win narrative including some FCS teams, and his fiery kick butt attitude that helped max out a 13-14 game schedule for a certain number of wins that seemed acceptable to some for a bottom line.

Had to go IMHO

9 hours ago, CheeseHusker said:

Scott may not want the scrutiny. Or deal with the toxicity.

He will remember those who never forgave him for going to Stanford. He will remember the grumbling after the Arizona State debacle. And he'll certainly remember the game against the team he's currently coaching where people wanted him benched for Frankie London.

I can't imagine the decision is easy for him with those things still in his mind somewhere.

I know most of us look back on his time here as successful, and it certainly was.... but we all had to warm up to him. He may have to warm back up to all of us.

The guy is 42 now and I’m sure the past is water under the bridge.

Kind of like when you think about some of the a- holes you knew in high school— they’re not so bad to chat with at the 25 year reunion.

Scott has grown up, he’s been around the country, he’s held big jobs — his perspective of how things were in 1996 and 1997 have softened a bit I’m sure.

If he does turn away from NU, then it will only be because of what he’s building at UCF and wants to see it through. 

33 minutes ago, Husker4ever319 said:

Can someone please explain why Bob Stoops is not an option?! His Oklahoma teams have always been relevant from the second year he took over and they have always been in the playoff picture or at least talked about not to mention how many conference championships he has won. He obviously recruits well and if he could live in Norman Oklahoma for so many years, I am sure he will find Lincoln to be a very nice upgrade. Just curious as to why no one is mentioning him for the Nebraska job. Did he state that he does not want to coach?

Because he's not coming to Nebraska.

The Bart Starr comparison is an interesting one, consider I'm a Packer fan and lived in Wisconsin for many years. He was pretty much gone by the time I got there; my first years following them were the Gregg-Infante years which were awful. So I don't know much about the Starr tenure although I know many of the holdover players like Dickey, Lofton, etc...

You are right, there definitely aren't many people who hold Starr's coaching career against him. The one difference I can think of is I'm not sure if Starr ever got much guff as a player, although it was long before my time.

Edited by CheeseHusker
1 minute ago, Husker4ever319 said:

May be I am missing something here, but Bob Stoops is no longer the Head Coach for the Sooners. Why wouldn't he want to coach elsewhere? Why not try building a program in the BIG 10? 

Because it's hard and he's retired.The only program that's "made" it in the Big Ten in the last 20 years has been Ohio State and only just barely. This is a hard conference to succeed in at a national level for so many reasons, Harbaugh is learning that now. If he felt like Lady Luck was teasing him at OU he'll hate the Big Ten.