Is Scott Frost the ONLY Answer?

1 minute ago, Husker4ever319 said:

May be I am missing something here, but Bob Stoops is no longer the Head Coach for the Sooners. Why wouldn't he want to coach elsewhere? Why not try building a program in the BIG 10? 

Why did Stoops retire just a few months ago if he wanted to keep coaching?

And as for why he wouldn't go coach at Nebraska: Why would he leave a program that he built up over almost 2 decades to go to another school that's in much worse shape?

On 11/25/2017 at 8:08 AM, StPaulHusker said:

Scott Frost is not the only answer.  He might not even be THE answer.  No one is going to know for 3-4 years to see if this team can be rebuilt by him.

Teach the D to tackle and OLine to block and you win 3 more games, with no other changes. Get them to buy in and play hard and who knows where you are at with the same kids on the field.

Stoops was tired of the everyday grind.  OU wanted a younger coach in place, and LIncoln Riley was ready to take over.  He clearly stated he was done coaching, anywhere.  

We don't have a #2 guy lined up.  Frost is the main character in this one act play!  IF you have confidence in yourself as an AD, you don't have #2 until you need #2.  Thats my take on this situation.  Once Frost says no or yes, your not doing anything else.  I can see us interviewing a few candidates right now, but until Frost is in the room does those other interviews count?  As a fanbase we are so set on getting a guy who 3 years ago wasn't worthy of getting an interview, much less even being mentioned seriously.  Now, he is our savior?  I for one at this point don't know if he comes or not, like everyone else, we don't know one single thing yet about Frost coming or going!

What I do know is that our program needs someone to right the ship right now.  If Frost doesn't come now, its not that he won't ever come.  I think we need to have that in our minds right now.  This job right now won't be a simple fix.  Stoops at OU had to find players, switch players, and recruit a Juco QB to win 7 games in his first season.  Next season they won it all, but they had talent.  They had several draft picks go on to the NFL, so they had some talent.  Do you see several draft picks on this roster as of right now?  

3 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Stoops was tired of the everyday grind.  OU wanted a younger coach in place, and LIncoln Riley was ready to take over.  He clearly stated he was done coaching, anywhere.  

We don't have a #2 guy lined up.  Frost is the main character in this one act play!  IF you have confidence in yourself as an AD, you don't have #2 until you need #2.  Thats my take on this situation.  Once Frost says no or yes, your not doing anything else.  I can see us interviewing a few candidates right now, but until Frost is in the room does those other interviews count?  As a fanbase we are so set on getting a guy who 3 years ago wasn't worthy of getting an interview, much less even being mentioned seriously.  Now, he is our savior?  I for one at this point don't know if he comes or not, like everyone else, we don't know one single thing yet about Frost coming or going!

What I do know is that our program needs someone to right the ship right now.  If Frost doesn't come now, its not that he won't ever come.  I think we need to have that in our minds right now.  This job right now won't be a simple fix.  Stoops at OU had to find players, switch players, and recruit a Juco QB to win 7 games in his first season.  Next season they won it all, but they had talent.  They had several draft picks go on to the NFL, so they had some talent.  Do you see several draft picks on this roster as of right now?  

To the bolded part of the post -- no, obviously we don't have too many that look like draft picks, but that also goes with the complete and total lack of player development by this staff.  No one here has gotten better over time, it seems (or at least it seems to ME).  Our successful peers in the west do way better at this than we do currently.  

21 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Shouldn't Campbell do something first before Husker fans get all giddy about him?

If you win at ISU, you have done something. No one wins in Ames and the place is a graveyard. His teams play with passion, purpose, and have a plan.  He's just as good as all the other coaches that are not named Frost. Not sure if anyone is giddy, but he can win against the big boys. He would be a big step up from the MR and BPs of the world that's for sure. 

2 minutes ago, KCBuc said:

If you win at ISU, you have done something. No one wins in Ames and the place is a graveyard. His teams play with passion, purpose, and have a plan.  He's just as good as all the other coaches that are not named Frost. Not sure if anyone is giddy, but he can win against the big boys. He would be a big step up from the MR and BPs of the world that's for sure. 

They're 7-5....not saying he's not a good coach but I think people get carried away just because a guy wins a few. Somehow he jumped to the top of the list of a bunch of proven coaches. I think hiring him now is a gamble. You could say the same about Frost but we know him well, it's different.

Eh, let's move past the "toxic culture" paranoia.

There were a variety of reasons for letting Frank Solich go -- and in hindsight we now think it's a mistake -- but in the moment the general consensus was that the Huskers were trending downward and the rest of college football had caught up. 

That's when we discovered it's hard to hire sure-fire coaches able to maintain a 40 year legacy virtually unprecedented in college football.This isn't payback for bad Solich karma, it's just the new lay of the land. 

Every other blueblood football program has gone through the same thing. They all had athletic directors who weren't named Pederson or Eichorst and fanbases who demanded excellence, and they all misfired on a few coaches who made perfect sense at the time. 

Husker fans were not unfair to Bill Callahan. Everyone agreed when his time was up. They were probably more forgiving of Bo Pelini than Bo deserved in his 7 seasons. With all due respect to Mark Helfrich pleading patience during the Penn State broadcast, I think most in the national media understands that a 4-8 season with the 110th ranked defense getting worse down the stretch is not Nebraska football, and Mike Riley's hot seat wasn't an over-reaction.  

Wanting a better product doesn't make the Husker football program toxic. It just makes us like every other football program that wants to be relevant, and probably better than most.  

• Plus1 3

39 minutes ago, KCBuc said:

If you win at ISU, you have done something. No one wins in Ames and the place is a graveyard. His teams play with passion, purpose, and have a plan.  He's just as good as all the other coaches that are not named Frost. Not sure if anyone is giddy, but he can win against the big boys. 

Substitute "Corvallis" for "Ames" and that was the same rationale for hiring Riley. 

4 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

No however - is anybody expecting a NC in 2 years?  Also there is zero chance that our AD isn't doing something to prepare for #2.  If Frost is the guy and for some reason was to back out before December 3rd the next guy would get an offer the following day and our AD would probably already know what the answer would be.

In two years the answer to the question could be completely different - development and success will make any good athlete look better.

Edited by GBRFAN
29 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Don't fool yourself, if Frost isn't winning quickly, the fans will turn on him just like they did with Mike Riley and Callahan. Frost will be given no more time than anyone else.

Not true - in year 2/3 of SF there would be no tidal wave.  Now year 5/6 the tidal wave would be similar for all coaches.

On 11/25/2017 at 4:41 AM, ronsss said:

florida is no longer interested in chip kelly, and its been rumored that scott frost is #1 on florida,s search....there are also other teams looking for coaches, tenneesee, old miss...proably all 3 of those schools have better chances recruitng than nu....who knows what is going to happen, but if my crystal ball is correct...frost will go to florida...its sort of bad for nu , because of the # of schools looking for coaches...riley has not been fired, but i suspect he will be...florida would probably be scott frost quickest way to a national championship..the past gators coach could not get the talent ..

As I posted on another board, supposedly Frost advisor was meeting with Florida this weekend. I think he is only getting some leverage by talking to FLorida. Frost WILL NOT go to Florida! Rumors in the past hour have Florida pursuing Dan Mullen from Miss ST. if true tells me Frost told Florida NO.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Substitute "Corvallis" for "Ames" and that was the same rationale for hiring Riley. 

This is not correct. Riley was trending down and there was no thought process other than hiring a "nice" coach who would contrast the previous. guy at NU. 

5-7, 3-9, 9-4, 7-6, 5-7

Campbell is a winner. He's turning ISU around and are trending up. At Toledo 1-0, 9-4, 7-5, 9-2. 9-2 Iowa State 3-9, 7-5

It seems moot now that Frost is coming, but I'd much rather have Campbell than the A&M guy,  Schiano, or some of the other names thrown out there. 

• Plus1 2