NIT to Implement Experimental Rule Changes

Mavric

From ESPN:

A deeper 3-point line. It will be moved back approximately 20 inches to the distance used by FIBA in international competition (22 feet, 1.75 inches).

• A wider free throw lane. It will be extended from 12 to 16 feet, which is used in the NBA.

Quarters, not halves. The game will still have 40 minutes of game clock, but it will be broken into four 10-minute quarters, which was adopted for the women's college game in 2015. For each quarter, two free throws are awarded once a team reaches five fouls.

• After an offensive rebound, the shot clock will reset to 20 seconds, as opposed to the full 30.

• Plus1 2

I'd like to see them add the FIBA basket interference rule:

NCAA/NBA: No blocking a ball in downward flight towards the rim. An imaginary cylinder exists that has the basket as its base. Touching the ball while any part of it is in this cylinder (and still has a chance to go in) is a violation.

FIBA: No blocking a ball in downward flight towards the rim. Once the ball strikes the rim, any player can play the ball (i.e. swat it away or tap it in)

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, ECisGod said:

I like the first 3, not sure about the shot clock only resetting to 20.

I liked them all, especially the shot clock one. You really only have 25 seconds after bringing the ball up the floor anyway, no reason imo to reset it to 30. 

22 minutes ago, VitMan said:

I liked them all, especially the shot clock one. You really only have 25 seconds after bringing the ball up the floor anyway, no reason imo to reset it to 30. 

Unless you are NU then you get 20.000000000001 seconds - after bringing the ball up.

Edited by GBRFAN
  • 2 weeks later...

5 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

what did everyone think of the rule changes?

I didn't notice much change in the game.  I have watched a couple other NIT games that the rules changes were obvious, but since both NU & MSU shoot the 3 like I fly by flapping my arms it didn't make any difference last night.

7 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

As far as I could tell, changing to quarters really only has one effect on the game - shooting free throws after five fouls each quarter.  With the media timeouts, it really didn't change anything else about the game.  I guess I would be fine with changing to quarters just because NCAA men is the only one that doesn't play quarters.  And I think I'm fine with the free throw rules.

I didn't really notice the difference in the wider lane.  But I think it would help open up the game a bit so I'm fine with it.

Kind of the same with the deeper three point line.  I think it would help open things up a bit which would be a good thing.  Once guys have a little time to adjust to it I think it would be good.

9 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

Hated the 4 quarters.

Barely noticed the other stuff. 

I for one dont think any of the changes should be implemented, but I also am not too worried about extending the 3-point line or widening the lane. The reset of the shot clock to 20 is nice to speed up possessions a bit, but I guess i didnt notice that when it happened.