I think I figured out why yesterday's game bothered me so much...

Cdog923

I should have probably added this in the OP: I fully realize that it's going to get better from this point on. There's a ton of things to build upon going forward, even if Martinez misses an extended period of time. I was just taken aback by the coincidences that lined up between this game, and some of the more common games of the Pelini era. 

What bothered me about this game is we beat ourselves...Frost said as much in his post game.  I just was not thinking that would be the case for losing this season...I thought we'd clean that up first thing...I eliminated it from my thinking but it sometimes happens, even to the best teams.  Sure if we lose because the opponent was better (our schedule has a lot of tough teams), we are just not yet at the level we want to be (a game we play hard but come up short), or even if an evenly matched team just has some stud plays from some guys that ball out I think I would say "OK, I get it work in progress".  But this was a home game against a beatable opponent and we lost the game several times in several ways that I am sure everyone has hashed out (even Frost went through them in his post game).  This does not mean I am down on the program or Frost as he was obviously the right hire but man it really sucks...we should have won, lost at home with a great crowd, were the better team, outgained CU by a lot, we had this game and gave it away...that was the last thing I thought would happen in the opener.  I did like that Frost preached accountability in his presser because we absolutely cannot have this happen again anytime soon.       

• Plus1 1

Respectfully disagree with OP. These kids are playing just as the mantra says: No fear of failure. Right now, that means some costly mistakes, but on the other hand, we have almost '90's level defensive pass rush, hitting, run blocking, etc. (And all due respect, maybe not 90's level recruiting yet?) Hell, we even have kids jumping on the sideline even swagger now. Swagger! I've missed that.

After their mistakes, you don't see them come to the sideline to be embarrassingly screamed at when they and the whole world knew what went wrong.  You don't see players and coaches screaming at each other. That, to me, is an enormous difference. It reminds me a little of the day that Gordon went for 408 on us. He fumbled twice in the 1st quarter, and we took advantage, striking for a 17-3 lead (incredible considering how the game turned out). There was no screaming at the guy, though, just encouragement, and "hey, you're a stud, and you'll be fine" kind of mentality. 

That's what we have now. No screaming, cussing, or poking kids in the chest on national tv. We have actual coaching. 

We don't have a coach looking for a fight with the media after a loss (or even a win). We have a coach ready to jump out of his skin to improve this team and players that are right now counting the days until they step onto the grass in Boulder to return the favor. Kids shaking in the presser because they wanted to win for their coach and state so bad. These kids want to win for each other and everyone else, not to avoid getting chewed out. We're never going to get a secret hot mic of this coach cussing out an entire fan base because he got booed a couple times.

I have never been a bigger fan of Husker football in my whole life, and I was a teenager during the 90's. I remember the glory years well, but even then I didn't feel this level of passion for these kids, this staff, and this program. We didn't win, and it hurts, but holy cow can you not feel that we're SO CLOSE to being back? God, this is so fun to watch.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Respectfully disagree with OP. These kids are playing just as the mantra says: No fear of failure. Right now, that means some costly mistakes, but on the other hand, we have almost '90's level defensive pass rush, hitting, run blocking, etc. (And all due respect, maybe not 90's level recruiting yet?) Hell, we even have kids jumping on the sideline even swagger now. Swagger! I've missed that.

After their mistakes, you don't see them come to the sideline to be embarrassingly screamed at when they and the whole world knew what went wrong.  You don't see players and coaches screaming at each other. That, to me, is an enormous difference. It reminds me a little of the day that Gordon went for 408 on us. He fumbled twice in the 1st quarter, and we took advantage, striking for a 17-3 lead (incredible considering how the game turned out). There was no screaming at the guy, though, just encouragement, and "hey, you're a stud, and you'll be fine" kind of mentality. 

That's what we have now. No screaming, cussing, or poking kids in the chest on national tv. We have actual coaching. 

We don't have a coach looking for a fight with the media after a loss (or even a win). We have a coach ready to jump out of his skin to improve this team and players that are right now counting the days until they step onto the grass in Boulder to return the favor. Kids shaking in the presser because they wanted to win for their coach and state so bad. These kids want to win for each other and everyone else, not to avoid getting chewed out. We're never going to get a secret hot mic of this coach cussing out an entire fan base because he got booed a couple times.

I have never been a bigger fan of Husker football in my whole life, and I was a teenager during the 90's. I remember the glory years well, but even then I didn't feel this level of passion for these kids, this staff, and this program. We didn't win, and it hurts, but holy cow can you not feel that we're SO CLOSE to being back? God, this is so fun to watch.

329 rushing yards and 7 sacks has me very excited about where this team is headed.

Quickly.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Lots of good points in this post, but to the bolded part... That's all well and good, but for those of us that were 10 years old and younger during the 90s Championships, most of our lives NU has been an undisciplined team that lost games because of needless penalties and turnovers, and felt "So close" to being back, which is exactly what last Saturday was. Sure it may have "felt" a little different with Scott on the sideline, but ultimately the result was the same.

No one is saying that Frost is a bust or that the sky is falling. But it's pretty hard to jump for joy when the product on Saturday was eerily similar to what we've seen our entire lives. Again, don't get me wrong, I'm all in on Frost and think he will be very successful here. But Saturday felt an awful lot like 2010. 

35 minutes ago, Fru said:

Lots of good points in this post, but to the bolded part... That's all well and good, but for those of us that were 10 years old and younger during the 90s Championships, most of our lives NU has been an undisciplined team that lost games because of needless penalties and turnovers, and felt "So close" to being back, which is exactly what last Saturday was. Sure it may have "felt" a little different with Scott on the sideline, but ultimately the result was the same.

No one is saying that Frost is a bust or that the sky is falling. But it's pretty hard to jump for joy when the product on Saturday was eerily similar to what we've seen our entire lives. Again, don't get me wrong, I'm all in on Frost and think he will be very successful here. But Saturday felt an awful lot like 2010. 

2010 was Bo’s 3rd season and they were 10-4 and almost won a conference champioship the season before. Maybe it felt the same but it should have felt better for those reasons.

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, Fru said:

The one statistic I think relates this concern is turnovers.

We know what Frost and Held think about committing turnovers, so let's see if this becomes an issue like it was under Pelini's tenure.