New B1G Scheduling Model

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

2) Ahh yes, that storied Rutgers/Maryland rivalry

My guess for this one is it was the easiest way to help the goal of relatively fair travel. They're still ~200 miles apart, but making that every year offsets some of the longer distances. Interestingly enough both are also roughly 200 miles from Penn State, but they didn't get a protected matchup at all. But they are closer to the old school big ten teams so maybe just not a huge concern there.

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

My guess for this one is it was the easiest way to help the goal of relatively fair travel. They're still ~200 miles apart, but making that every year offsets some of the longer distances. Interestingly enough both are also roughly 200 miles from Penn State, but they didn't get a protected matchup at all. But they are closer to the old school big ten teams so maybe just not a huge concern there.

I agree.  They threw them a bone.

Penn St didn't want any protected games (and I like that, wouldn't have been upset if Nebraska did that).

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It's a blessing.  It means less games vs OSU, Mich, PSU, USC, Oregon, etc

Does it though? With the caveat that we have no idea what these teams will be like in 2025 let alone 2028, looking just at the teams you listed and Washington:

They get OSU and Washington next year, USC/Oregon/Penn State in '25, Michigan/OSU/Washington in '26, Oregon/Michigan/USC in '27, and Penn State/USC in '28.

We get OSU/USC next year, Penn State/Michigan/USC in '25, Oregon/OSU/Washington in '26, OSU/Washington/Oregon in '27, and Michigan/USC/Penn State in '28.

Seems pretty even until 2028, depending on how you feel about whether Washington is for real. 

15 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Does it though? With the caveat that we have no idea what these teams will be like in 2025 let alone 2028, looking just at the teams you listed and Washington:

They get OSU and Washington next year, USC/Oregon/Penn State in '25, Michigan/OSU/Washington in '26, Oregon/Michigan/USC in '27, and Penn State/USC in '28.

We get OSU/USC next year, Penn State/Michigan/USC in '25, Oregon/OSU/Washington in '26, OSU/Washington/Oregon in '27, and Michigan/USC/Penn State in '28.

Seems pretty even until 2028, depending on how you feel about whether Washington is for real. 

Thats good to see.  Iowa is getting less of lower level B1G teams.  Wonder if Kirk will stay for this?

3 things:

1) I didn't know that Illinois/Purdue was that big of a football rivalry to be protected.  I guess they play for the Purdue Cannon?

2) Ahh yes, that storied Rutgers/Maryland rivalry

3) The B1G has more money than they know what to do with, but took screen grabs off of their TV program for these graphics (note the scoreboard crawl on the bottom of each graphic)  Lol

I grew up about an hour north of purdue and have 3 siblings who went there.  Been to quite a few games as well.  This is the first I'm hearing of this rivalry with IL. 

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Michigan next year gets OSU and Washington in Ann Arbor.  And goes on the road to Oregon and USC.  

And plays one of Texas or OU over the next 4 years…

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I feel sorry for you. 

Thank you!

• Haha 1

I want to continue to play it because Iowa's administration and fans don't like it.

Not sure where you got that idea.  We all love it.  The ones that don't are the hospital administration because they have to deal with football crowds on a normal work day which means messed up hospital parking and traffic flow for them.

Just now, Caven said:

Not sure where you got that idea.  We all love it.  The ones that don't are the hospital administration because they have to deal with football crowds on a normal work day which means messed up hospital parking and traffic flow for them.

Barta and Kirk were against it at the beginning, complaining about a short week and inconveniencing their fans who were spending time with family over the weekend.

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Barta and Kirk were against it at the beginning, complaining about a short week and inconveniencing their fans who were spending time with family over the weekend.

Yeah - but it grew on him.  Remember when Nebraska got scheduled to play Wisconsin on the last weekend and Iowa was playing Minnesota (didn't happen because of the schedule change when MD/Rutgers were added) and Wisconsin said no to Black Friday.  Iowa volunteered to play Minnesota on Black Friday.

52 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I grew up about an hour north of purdue and have 3 siblings who went there.  Been to quite a few games as well.  This is the first I'm hearing of this rivalry with IL. 

Now all they need is a "Champions Trophy" sponsored by a local grocery store chain.

Or a broken chair.