New B1G Scheduling Model

Just now, runningblind said:

They want us to be good so we can make them money in these games.  Even if we aren't good, we get eyeballs.  These are the kinds of games I want to watch, and it is up to us to handle our business.   Never used to matter who was on the schedule, and we never used to complain that much about it. 

I get it, but I also don't care a bit. 

Not complaining, just not surprised. Nebraska has had the short end of the scheduling stick ever since joining the BIG. Of course it never used to matter who we played. We had 7 guaranteed protected rivals annually. There wasn't space to finesse schedules for the best "tv matchups."

That said to be the best you have to beat the best, but.... when you lose out on a month and a half of practice every year, it takes a toll on building for the future. 

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Not complaining, just not surprised. Nebraska has had the short end of the scheduling stick ever since joining the BIG. Of course it never used to matter who we played. We had 7 guaranteed protected rivals annually. There wasn't space to finesse schedules for the best "tv matchups."

That said to be the best you have to beat the best, but.... when you lose out on a month and a half of practice every year, it takes a toll on building for the future. 

I don't disagree, but if we were halfway competent we would be in a bowl every year regardless of schedule.  That is on us. 

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I don't disagree, but if we were halfway competent we would be in a bowl every year regardless of schedule.  That is on us. 

The schedule is always "hard" because we have been a bad football team for 8 years.

We complain about playing OSU too much.  But then we also can't beat the Minnesota, Purdue, or Illinois of the world.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

On one hand, it feels good to dunk on Iowa and how the conference always seems to throw them a bone giving them easy cross divisional matchups.

On the other hand, do we want to be like Iowa?

Personally I'd rather be a perennial 7-10 win team playing the absolute top talent than a perennial 11-13 win team playing JV opponents.

3 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

On one hand, it feels good to dunk on Iowa and how the conference always seems to throw them a bone giving them easy cross divisional matchups.

On the other hand, do we want to be like Iowa?

Personally I'd rather be a perennial 7-10 win team playing the absolute top talent than a perennial 11-13 win team playing JV opponents.

Sure... in the old times, I would certainly agree. However- when we were the 7th ranked paper tiger under Riley,  it did a lot of good for our marketability. A lot is also said about Baylor's great season under Rhule and how they didn't really beat any quality opponents. Regardless, that season did a lot of good for Baylor's recruiting, marketability after the scandal, and Rhule's career. If Nebraska isn't in the shape to have an undefeated season against the BIG's best, a nice 11-2 season against the basement dwellers would do old NU a lot of good. 

• Plus1 3

On 6/12/2023 at 12:33 PM, gossamorharpy said:

Was somewhat hoping the big10 was gonna be a trailblazer and do a top 4 mini playoff to decide conf champ

Pretty sure the NCAA would have to change the rules to allow that, wouldn't they? I mean they'd probably just rubber stamp it, but you know.

On 6/12/2023 at 10:33 AM, gossamorharpy said:

Was somewhat hoping the big10 was gonna be a trailblazer and do a top 4 mini playoff to decide conf champ. 

What about this showcase game  option for the final weekend? It would make for a fun weekend of Big10 football versus just a championship game. Could limit it to 8 or 4 teams as well.

https://www.mgoblog.com/content/case-big-ten-showcase

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

2024:

Home - Illinois, Rutgers, UCLA, Wisconsin

Away - Indiana, Iowa, Ohio State, Purdue, USC

2025:

Home - Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, USC

Away - Maryland, Minnesota, Penn State, UCLA

2026:

Home - Indiana, Maryland, Ohio State, Washington

Away - Illinois, Iowa, Michigan State, Oregon, Rutgers