2023 Fall Camp Notes - Linebackers

• 2 weeks later...

6 hours ago, Mavric said:

Sherman, Butler, Borders and Noonan playing the Jack position - hybrid edge and linebacker.

I've been hearing good things with Sherman for some time now. I'm not sure that he's been utilized very well or had the opportunities to.

I haven't seen a thread yet for the linebackers, and I don't like using the term "Fall Camp" because we are still weeks away from meteorological or astronomical fall.

Anyway, there was an interesting note in an Omaha.com/LJS article about NU players transforming their bodies in the offseason.  One item I saw was that Maverick Noonan lost 10 pounds from where he was in high school (245 down to 235) because they are having him play the JACK LB position.  That position is the most-hybrid DL role of the 3 LB positions in the 3-3-5, as it's required to rush the passer, play coverage, and be stout against the run.  I hope that the coaches like Noonan's versatility to have him play that position, and not putting him there because he is a "tweener".  It will also be interesting if they had him shed "bad weight" to get down to 235 as a true freshman, but will gradually bulk him up to the 240-250 range as he matures.

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That position is the most-hybrid DL role of the 3 LB positions in the 3-3-5, as it's required to rush the passer, play coverage, and be stout against the run.

To clarify this a bit:

The Jack is your EDGE backer and the other two serve as your off ball backers.

Depending on the exact front and coverage used, all three can have a myriad of roles. Some of the most common fronts we will see:

Pinch the DL over the guards and center and roll down a backer off each end.

Spread the DL to cover both tackles and have 2 backers against the guards.

Slide the DL and have a 4 man line with the JACK

Use the previous front but roll down a Safety to act as the other edge.

The biggest advantage of this defense is in its versatility without needing to substitute with a bunch of sub packages. The three backers ability to blitz, cover, and play the run goes a long way into determining how versatile you can be.

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1