Poll - How Many Wins - 2023 Season

2023 Win Total  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

would people be upset if this team only won 5 games but some of those wins were Col, Mich, Wisc, and Iowa? 

I have the opposite opinion.  I want Rhule to start out beating teams that NU "should beat" or teams which are more level in competition.  IMO, "big upsets" give false hope.  I do want NU to beat Colorado badly, just because I am going to be there, and I would love for the Deion experiment to fail miserably at CU.

• TBH 4

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I have the opposite opinion.  I want Rhule to start out beating teams that NU "should beat" or teams which are more level in competition.  IMO, "big upsets" give false hope.  I do want NU to beat Colorado badly, just because I am going to be there, and I would love for the Deion experiment to fail miserably at CU.

I get that.  It would appear that a good base is being set and we beat the teams we were supposed to.  So...we need to just keep improving and we would keep beating better teams.

However, 5 wins like that would probably mean we beat La Tech, Northern Ill, CU, Northwestern and maybe Purdue.  That would then mean we ended the season losing to MSU, Maryland, Wisc and Iowa.  Losing 4 straight to end the year wouldn't leave me feeling good.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I get that.  It would appear that a good base is being set and we beat the teams we were supposed to.  So...we need to just keep improving and we would keep beating better teams.

However, 5 wins like that would probably mean we beat La Tech, Northern Ill, CU, Northwestern and maybe Purdue.  That would then mean we ended the season losing to MSU, Maryland, Wisc and Iowa.  Losing 4 straight to end the year wouldn't leave me feeling good.

I wouldn't be happy with only 5 wins, regardless of the wins.  I understand that may happen, but I still wouldn't be happy with the way the season went.  I will be happy if NU gets to 6 or 7 wins.

5 minutes ago, Gage County said:

I'd be ok with any 5 win season as long as the last lose was in some irreverent bowl game.

I know I wasn't exactly thrilled with the first Mike Riley season just because they backed into a crappy bowl game, and they actually won the bowl game.  As BRB said, NU isn't making a bowl game with 5 wins.

50 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know I wasn't exactly thrilled with the first Mike Riley season just because they backed into a crappy bowl game, and they actually won the bowl game.  As BRB said, NU isn't making a bowl game with 5 wins.

I didn't even know a 5-7 rule existed when that happened. It's been 6 seasons so my minimum threshold is a bowl invitation. If that's a 5-7 invite and a 30 point lose, whoohoo!! We made a bowl game!! chuckleshuffle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

78.64% of respondents believed that we'd win 5-8 games this season...

47.58% thought 4-6 wins

67.96% 6-8 wins

65.05% 5-7

40.78% 5-6

54.37% 6-7

At the time of this poll, most participants likely thought that the performances of our quarterbacks would be at least someone better and did not envision us experiencing the amount of injuries that we did. And yet, we won five games. 

Taking into account the quarterback play and injuries, is it unreasonable to conclude that the final record was about right? Both those issues were rather significant.

The defense performed better than most of us anticipated I think while the offense performed under most expectations. 

From this, we can surmise that our expectations were about right. And while we may have overestimated, one has to take into consideration the adversity we experienced. To the 103 that participated in the vote I ask, is our result as bad as it seems taking everything into consideration?

In my opinion, we really should've been able to win one more game for a total of six but it was about what I'd anticipated. 

Combining the votes of 4-6 wins with 5-6 wins, 88.36% of you were right on target! We can reflect on our estimations then and now make a comparison at the conclusion of the season. 

Is it ridiculous to suggest that we're being (a little) too hard on ourselves at the moment? The would have, could have, should have's really hurt while the end result was about what the majority of us expected. 

On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being a complete disaster and, 10 being an overwhelming success, I'll give the season a 6. There's nothing to be ecstatic about though one has to consider just how bad of a position we were in at the end of last season and all that got us to there. Gathering momentum isn't an easy thing. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
12 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

Nailed it...sadly

On 8/16/2023 at 11:03 AM, runningblind said:

Pretty bold not having 0 as an option.  I like it. :koolaid2:

I think saying the team will be "radically" different just won't be the case.  Some things will be different, some things will be the same, some will be better, and some will be worse.  Overall I expect it will be a similar number of wins for year 1, 4-5 ish.  I went with 5.  

Me too, what do I win? Oh yeah, another offseason with no bowl and ridiculous threads on Huskerboard! :lol: