Gilbert Arrested

On 9/16/2023 at 11:35 AM, vandy said:

There is absolutely no way he should be playing football.  He has too many issues.

Playing major college football causes stress.  Stress makes any mental disorder worse.  

Sure, being part of the program, receiving counselling, nutrition, etc., may have helped, but he was already receiving that; but if he was eligible he would be an even worse disaster.  

Thoughts went straight to Lawrence Phillips.  All the effort.  All the chances.  How things escalated.  But this... none of us know Gilbert at all, let alone well enough to know one way or the other how he'd respond to those counselling and nutrition and all that is suggested.  I am thinking of the team and the school and the fans.  I'm thinking he needs to get it all taken care of and then make an effort to make the team;  not stay on the team while working on it.  Just an opinion.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, Hagg said:

Thoughts went straight to Lawrence Phillips.  All the effort.  All the chances.  How things escalated.  But this... none of us know Gilbert at all, let alone well enough to know one way or the other how he'd respond to those counselling and nutrition and all that is suggested.  I am thinking of the team and the school and the fans.  I'm thinking he needs to get it all taken care of and then make an effort to make the team;  not stay on the team while working on it.  Just an opinion.

It's not uncommon for us to compare cases even while there can be vast differences. Or, even make comparisons to our own life experiences and decision making. What might seem terribly bad judgement and a character issue might well be associated with a disorder. I am aware of cases as examples involving schizophrenia and kleptomania where individuals stole items with regularity. Bipolar would be another example. There are overlapping features among disorders. It's possible to have more than one. 

And, how can it be...That's not even rational behavior one might say. "Stupid", "Dumb" or whatever other label. It is indeed destructive though choices can have a myriad of influences. It's not nearly as simple as one might think. Absent familiarity of causes and associated behaviors it can be awfully difficult to comprehend. 

Our not being aware of what we don't know is problematic as well. It's a characteristic lacking self awareness. Ignorance. Not dumbness or, stupidity. It's okay to not know! Believing one knows when not knowing is another issue however...Making assumptions isn't rational either. That's where attitude, genuine curiosity and objectivity comes into play.  Each individual case has it's unique characteristics. 

If/when a person recognizes, accepts and is taking action to address their mental challenges to more effectively negotiate their life path, that deserves recognition and support rather than shamming and condemnation. There are plenty examples where that would apply but this might not be one. 

Nutrition and adjusting one's diet, medications and a variety of things can be helpful in addition to therapy. There's no diagnosis or attempt to make one from here.

My *opinion* as well is that it's in Arik's interest that he focuses on whatever challenges he has for the time being. It's possible that at some juncture athletic participation would be helpful. That would involve professionals with competencies working with him to make an accurate determination, assist him in changing his conduct and treat his condition, if any, toward possibly returning to the field once he's proven himself to be an asset to his teammates.   

That would require a commitment and effort on his part. If he does that, all the power to him!  There's no suggestion that whatever he wants supersedes the interest of the team or, that what's been demonstrated is okay. It's not. I have no doubt that coach Rhule would summon the very best of Gilbert and will act in the interest in the team. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, floridacorn said:

Arrested in Ga possibly means this was a moot point regarding NU football already.  On a side note, I know this staff was desperate for receiving talent, and the program has been desperate for talent, but 5 star talent that can't contribute at Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, ect is fools gold.  

Trey Palmer says “hello”

but I get your point and mostly agree with it.  The portal is an easy way to send baggage down the road

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, floridacorn said:

Arrested in Ga possibly means this was a moot point regarding NU football already.  On a side note, I know this staff was desperate for receiving talent, and the program has been desperate for talent, but 5 star talent that can't contribute at Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, ect is fools gold.  

Dude was a freshman all-American at LSU so I wouldn't really say fools gold.  

• TBH 2
13 hours ago, M.A. said:

It's not uncommon for us to compare cases even while there can be vast differences. Or, even make comparisons to our own life experiences and decision making. What might seem terribly bad judgement and a character issue might well be associated with a disorder. I am aware of cases as examples involving schizophrenia and kleptomania where individuals stole items with regularity. Bipolar would be another example. There are overlapping features among disorders. It's possible to have more than one. 

And, how can it be...That's not even rational behavior one might say. "Stupid", "Dumb" or whatever other label. It is indeed destructive though choices can have a myriad of influences. It's not nearly as simple as one might think. Absent familiarity of causes and associated behaviors it can be awfully difficult to comprehend. 

Our not being aware of what we don't know is problematic as well. It's a characteristic lacking self awareness. Ignorance. Not dumbness or, stupidity. It's okay to not know! Believing one knows when not knowing is another issue however...Making assumptions isn't rational either. That's where attitude, genuine curiosity and objectivity comes into play.  Each individual case has it's unique characteristics. 

If/when a person recognizes, accepts and is taking action to address their mental challenges to more effectively negotiate their life path, that deserves recognition and support rather than shamming and condemnation. There are plenty examples where that would apply but this might not be one. 

Nutrition and adjusting one's diet, medications and a variety of things can be helpful in addition to therapy. There's no diagnosis or attempt to make one from here.

My *opinion* as well is that it's in Arik's interest that he focuses on whatever challenges he has for the time being. It's possible that at some juncture athletic participation would be helpful. That would involve professionals with competencies working with him to make an accurate determination, assist him in changing his conduct and treat his condition, if any, toward possibly returning to the field once he's proven himself to be an asset to his teammates.   

That would require a commitment and effort on his part. If he does that, all the power to him!  There's no suggestion that whatever he wants supersedes the interest of the team or, that what's been demonstrated is okay. It's not. I have no doubt that coach Rhule would summon the very best of Gilbert and will act in the interest in the team. 

Well said.  That last bit, about you being without doubt in the HC's dealing for the best with Gilbert and the team etc is the big question, imo.  We don't know either one of them very well (we've not seen enough of them to detect patterns, etc).  I'm not truly worried, but I'm sure watching this.  I lean toward our new coach's integrity and overall wisdom in these matters for the simple reason he's been guiding kids in different venues for quite some time.   .... That about Lawrence Phillips is not as much a comparison as it is a reminder of how extraordinary efforts by well meaning people can sometimes have only temporary or no effect on that person's life.  I doubt very much at this point that there is much of a real comparison about him and Phillips so much as about the coaching challenges 'tween T.O. and now Rhule.  Phillips sprang to mind after that second arrest, though, for sure.  I do admit that. 

• Thanks 1