What did we learn

1 minute ago, walksalone said:

That the 3-3-5 is going to be painful to watch, almost as much as the O line.

Basically what Busch was doing last year, and what a lot of great teams are doing currently. Hutmacher had a solo sack that almost got us to a point where we could ice the game.

They only put up 13 points. Wasn't too bad.    :)

• Plus1 2

It said I could not edit.  I wanted to bring up Crouch's razzle dazzle successful play.  But that is not what won us games.  We know what won us games over and over again.  It was not razzle dazzle.  Having fun with a fumblerooskie is okay now and then.. but you know what I mean.  Now it's all we've got for a score?

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, Red Five said:

According to PFF, Corcoran had a pass block grade of 0.0 (out of 100).  He allowed 3 sacks and 2 hurries.  A stationary garbage can would have been about as effective as he was.

I'm not trying to defend the line.  And I could only see bits and pieces of the game as I was at my daughter's volleyball game.

But I do think there is an issue with the PFF data.  It has every single one of our OL giving up a "pressure opportunity" on 100% of pass blocking snaps. 

They were bad.  But I'm pretty sure they weren't THAT bad.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

According to PFF, Corcoran had a pass block grade of 0.0 (out of 100).  He allowed 3 sacks and 2 hurries.  A stationary garbage can would have been about as effective as he was.

I mean ... this is (apparently) every pass Sims threw.  There doesn't seem to be a huge percentage of play where he was really pressured.  They are definitely there, but - to me - he appears to have adequate protection more often than not.

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Hartzog gets some pub but I'm still not that convinced that he's all that great of a CB.  He may make some big plays, but he seems to get burned a lot.

The play was extremely frustrating. But I think it's also fair to say that most of the projections had Minnesota scoring more points than they did, and they only got into the end zone once.

It just gets focused on so much because it was the dagger play, right?

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

The play was extremely frustrating. But I think it's also fair to say that most of the projections had Minnesota scoring more points than they did, and they only got into the end zone once.

It just gets focused on so much because it was the dagger play, right?

That was just the play there was video of.  And he could have played it well and they still scored.

But stopping flat-footed and staring into the backfield as the receiver runs by doesn't bode well for future outcomes.

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... this is (apparently) every pass Sims threw. 

Not saying that the 0.0 is right, but this cut up doesn't include the sacks (3) or called passes that turned into QB scrambles due to being flushed (not sure how many there were, but somewhere in the 3 to 6 range?)

• TBH 1
11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... this is (apparently) every pass Sims threw.  There doesn't seem to be a huge percentage of play where he was really pressured.  They are definitely there, but - to me - he appears to have adequate protection more often than not.

I think the simple answer is this o line will not be up to anyone's standards on this board until the names corcoran, benhart, and piper are no longer on this team.  These guys are like 8 year starters now (sarcasm) yet none of them would start for another big ten team besides maybe rutgers. 

5 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I think the simple answer is this o line will not be up to anyone's standards on this board until the names corcoran, benhart, and piper are no longer on this team.  These guys are like 8 year starters now (sarcasm) yet none of them would start for another big ten team besides maybe rutgers. 

I look at it like this.

The offensive line didn't have a good game last night. But because of how well the defense played for the entire 4 quarters all in all, the offensive line did enough for us to win.

However, there isn't a whole lot of improvement being shown over last year. That's the frustrating part.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Undone said:

I look at it like this.

The offensive line didn't have a good game last night. But because of how well the defense played for the entire 4 quarters all in all, the offensive line did enough for us to win.

However, there isn't a whole lot of improvement being shown over last year. That's the frustrating part.

I agree with  this. I think jury might still be out though.. there were moments in the 3rd and 4th where it seemed like we were getting the run game going and then we didn’t. Grant was going too lateral on his runs and doesn’t have the speed to do so. Im

hopeful Rhule and co see actual game footage as evidence that Ervin needs more touches and more consistent ones. 7 touches is barely enough for a half much less a full game 

having said all of that, my expectations for change just aren’t very high. Corcoran simply isn’t fit to be a LT yet has largely been our LT for 4 years now.  Losing that transfer to Oklahoma after a 24 hour commit to us hurt bad. I have faith the recent recruits can improve our line play but that realistically not going to happen until next year at the earliest. Unfortunately for us, everyone tries to improve line play thru the portal and we ain’t top fiddle to win many of those battles currently