What did we learn

1. Three points through 54 minutes - Man the Defense played good

2. Best team tackling overall in awhile. 

3. Safeties & rover helped the LBs keep Minnesota to under 100yds rushing.  They didn't allow any long touchdown runs and they played physical. 

4. Loved the black cleats and red socks chuckleshuffle

5. A lot of guys played in the game, and got some B1G experience

6. Credit Coach White with his gameplan and rotation.  Kept a lot of guys playing fast on D by keeping everybody fresh.  

7. Turnovers did us in

8. It took all those turnovers (or great plays by Minnesota) to beat us.  Meaning, playmakers make big plays when there is opportunity.

9. Something like 16-18 carries combined by the running backs.  Not good.

10. Gabe Ervin should have gotten more chances running the ball

11. Rhamir Johnson should have gotten more screen passes 

12. QB locked onto his first target, and also had happy feet in the pocket.  Pretty good runner tho.  

13. Fidone and Kemp didn't get much love in the game

14. Offensive line wasn't too bad as mentioned.  They gave up 3 sacks, but also time for the QB to make a quick decision to throw a pass.  And provided some running lanes.  Nothing wrong with 3 yards and a cloud of dust with the running backs when you do it enough in a game vs Minn or other B1G West teams.

15. Special teams played pretty good

16. Felt really bad for Coach Rhule, his assistants, and all the players.  It wasn't an awful game.  They all gave their best.  And it took a walkoff Field Goal to beat us.  Nothing to be ashamed of, except for the turnovers.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 1
On 9/2/2023 at 2:38 PM, krc1995 said:

We should definitely stick with the 6 Ol, 3 TE set next week.  Zero passing. Not one 

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure on the drive late in the 2nd quarter that got us down to their 1 yard line we were actually running a fair bit of 11 man personnel (one tight end).

It wasn't "spread," but it was still more spread out than we did throughout most of the game as a whole. And we were actually moving the ball pretty well there.

I think Rhule absolutely knows how to make some adjustments and get the X's & O's dialed in to maximize what his team can do. Very confident in that. But, false starts and turnovers? You just can't overcome those with scheme & play calling. Bottom line for me.

On 9/1/2023 at 12:28 PM, walksalone said:

That the 3-3-5 is going to be painful to watch, almost as much as the O line.

Curious what you found painful to watch with our defense? Held Minny to 55 rushing, 196 passing, 251 yds total and 13 points. I’d take that performance every game.

I thought the defense was an extremely bright spot in the game. IMO the only reason we didn’t win that game was the 4 turnovers, specifically 3 of them.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 3

11 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Curious what you found painful to watch with our defense? Held Minny to 55 rushing, 196 passing, 251 yds total and 13 points. I’d take that performance every game.

I thought the defense was an extremely bright spot in the game. IMO the only reason we didn’t win that game was the 4 turnovers, specifically 3 of them.

Yeah, I liked the defensive effort, too, but they still haven't addressed the ongoing problem of little to no QB pressure on dropback passes. The Husker secondary must have been doing exceptionally well to offset that, but it will get deadly quick -- like this week -- if good quarterbacks have that much time to plant and scan the field. 

• Plus1 1

I think we learned mostly that giving Frost more than 3 years was a colossal mistake. The curent state of the program and talent levels are difficult to overcome, but that still shouldn't be an excuse.  We should be killing it in NIL and bringing in high quality talent left and right. I can't help but feel the "Nebraska way" is at the root of a lot of our issues. Do we want to compete in big boy football or do we want to stick to all our laurels here? We should have thrown the kitchen sink at Raiola.  It all comes back to having a QB. Maybe he isn't a savior, but we know what we've got right now.

Bottom line is there are ways to be competitive right away and also build for the future. I am not talking about CU, look at Washington and DeBoer. Look at Tennessee and Huepel. Get a QB and let's go, now. Not in 3 or 4 years.

• TBH 3
7 minutes ago, runningblind said:

We should have thrown the kitchen sink at Raiola. 

The only previous coach Matt Rhule maintained was the coach of the Huskers' poorest performing unit, who happened to be Dylan Raiola's uncle. Dylan was paraded around UNL sporting events and treated like royalty by the crowds during the courting process. Not sure what more we could have done

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 3
1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The only previous coach Matt Rhule maintained was the coach of the Huskers' poorest performing unit, who happened to be Dylan Raiola's uncle. Dylan was paraded around UNL sporting events and treated like royalty by the crowds during the courting process. Not sure what more we could have done

$$$$  That's the main point I was getting at. We had to have an edge to get this going in the 60s, that was strength and conditioning.  Our chance now is NIL and recruiting.

31 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yeah, I liked the defensive effort, too, but they still haven't addressed the ongoing problem of little to no QB pressure on dropback passes. The Husker secondary must have been doing exceptionally well to offset that, but it will get deadly quick -- like this week -- if good quarterbacks have that much time to plant and scan the field. 

IDK, it seemed to me like they got pretty good pressure when they wanted to. Better than years past anyway.  Yeah there were a good handful of times where we rushed no one and he had forever but I don’t recall those being the times we really got torched downfield. It didn’t seem like it was a case where we couldn’t get to him as much as many times we weren’t trying to.

You’re right though, we won’t get by with giving Shedeur and those receivers that kind of time. In all likelihood our DBs won’t be able to cover as well or as long as with Minny.

I definitely think our D will be able to limit them more than TCUs did. I do think we’ll have to be able to put up 30+ to beat them though and that’s what scares me. I thought both TCUs and CUs defenses were fairly horrible. Hopefully I wasn’t out in left field with that impression.

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

IDK, it seemed to me like they got pretty good pressure when they wanted to. Better than years past anyway.  Yeah there were a good handful of times where we rushed no one and he had forever but I don’t recall those being the times we really got torched downfield. It didn’t seem like it was a case where we couldn’t get to him as much as many times we weren’t trying to.

You’re right though, we won’t get by with giving Shedeur and those receivers that kind of time. In all likelihood our DBs won’t be able to cover as well or as long as with Minny.

I definitely think our D will be able to limit them more than TCUs did. I do think we’ll have to be able to put up 30+ to beat them though and that’s what scares me. I thought both TCUs and CUs defenses were fairly horrible. Hopefully I wasn’t out in left field with that impression.

It'll be interesting, but teams usually make the biggest adjustments between week 1 and 2. By then you have a good idea of who they are.

9 minutes ago, runningblind said:

It'll be interesting, but teams usually make the biggest adjustments between week 1 and 2. By then you have a good idea of who they are.

Well it will be game number 2 for both teams. I’ll take some improvement and adjustments for the Huskers but don’t want to see the same from CU :lol: I don’t think CU’s offense could improve if it wanted to but their D has plenty of growing room to spare. Hopefully it is what it is.

On 9/4/2023 at 11:39 AM, JJ Husker said:

The defense had a great game overall, but some of that is because the Minnesota coaches were kinda buffoons.   Minnesota got away from the quick passing game that our defense couldn’t/wouldn’t adjust to.
   They would sloooowwwlyy move the ball downfield at will when they kept with that game plan and probably shoulda had a 20-24 point offensive output had they done so.   

That said, the defense played better than I expected, took advantage of the Minnesota coaching mistake, and I hope it’s a sign of good things to come.  

• Plus1 1