What did we learn

4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

The defense had a great game overall, but some of that is because the Minnesota coaches were kinda buffoons.   Minnesota got away from the quick passing game that our defense couldn’t/wouldn’t adjust to.
   They would sloooowwwlyy move the ball downfield at will when they kept with that game plan and probably shoulda had a 20-24 point offensive output had they done so.   

That said, the defense played better than I expected, took advantage of the Minnesota coaching mistake, and I hope it’s a sign of good things to come.  

This...

And, the TD they did get was because one player made an amazing play.....and the refs missed a false start.  That ball was overthrown and shouldn't have needed to make a catch like that.  But, he did.  I know our guy was beat.  But, the TD wasn't because the QB made a great throw.  The WR made a great play all the way from the route he ran to the catch.

• TBH 2

4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

The defense had a great game overall, but some of that is because the Minnesota coaches were kinda buffoons.   Minnesota got away from the quick passing game that our defense couldn’t/wouldn’t adjust to.
   They would sloooowwwlyy move the ball downfield at will when they kept with that game plan and probably shoulda had a 20-24 point offensive output had they done so.   

That said, the defense played better than I expected, took advantage of the Minnesota coaching mistake, and I hope it’s a sign of good things to come.  

13 points and 251 yards of offense. Not sure how much of that should be shifted from our defensive performance onto perceived ineptitude of their coaches.

23 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I don't know if you can assign a completely hypothetical thing like that as being a "coaching error." If an offense correctly executes any play, it should probably keep the chains moving.

I'd look at it more like this: you either get into the opponent's red zone or you don't. And the times they didn't count in the "Good Defense" category for the 'skers, as opposed to being in the "Coaching Mistakes" column.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
44 minutes ago, Undone said:

I don't know if you can assign a completely hypothetical thing like that as being a "coaching error." If an offense correctly executes any play, it should probably keep the chains moving.

I guess I disagree in that you can absolutely be critical of a coaching staff that inexplicably moves away from what was working until the the other team shows they can stop it.    

• Plus1 1
On 9/4/2023 at 12:03 PM, runningblind said:

I think we learned mostly that giving Frost more than 3 years was a colossal mistake. The curent state of the program and talent levels are difficult to overcome, but that still shouldn't be an excuse.  We should be killing it in NIL and bringing in high quality talent left and right. I can't help but feel the "Nebraska way" is at the root of a lot of our issues. Do we want to compete in big boy football or do we want to stick to all our laurels here? We should have thrown the kitchen sink at Raiola.  It all comes back to having a QB. Maybe he isn't a savior, but we know what we've got right now.

Bottom line is there are ways to be competitive right away and also build for the future. I am not talking about CU, look at Washington and DeBoer. Look at Tennessee and Huepel. Get a QB and let's go, now. Not in 3 or 4 years.

Getting Raiola, wouldn't have helped any more than getting Joe Burrows under Frost. No offense clicks when the OL can't maintain blocks for passing or running plays. If you want to throw NIL money around to instantly make the team better, go out and find the 7 or 8 best sophomore/junior performing offensive linemen in the nation and make them all millionaires to come play here.  In addition to instantly making the team a heck of a lot better, the success they have here and them making it into the NFL will sell future OL recruits on Nebraska's ability to prepare linemen for the NFL helping to build the pipeline to continue to have strong lines going forward. 

On 9/4/2023 at 12:41 PM, JJ Husker said:

IDK, it seemed to me like they got pretty good pressure when they wanted to. Better than years past anyway.  Yeah there were a good handful of times where we rushed no one and he had forever but I don’t recall those being the times we really got torched downfield. It didn’t seem like it was a case where we couldn’t get to him as much as many times we weren’t trying to.

You’re right though, we won’t get by with giving Shedeur and those receivers that kind of time. In all likelihood our DBs won’t be able to cover as well or as long as with Minny.

I definitely think our D will be able to limit them more than TCUs did. I do think we’ll have to be able to put up 30+ to beat them though and that’s what scares me. I thought both TCUs and CUs defenses were fairly horrible. Hopefully I wasn’t out in left field with that impression.

We will be able to limit them as long as we don't get beat deep. If they connect on that deep ball 2-3 times we won't be able to keep up scorewise, and the defense will start to panic/fall apart. Then it gets ugly.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

13 points and 251 yards of offense. Not sure how much of that should be shifted from our defensive performance onto perceived ineptitude of their coaches.

Imagine how much better that would have looked, if instead of following up Minnesota's 3 and out in the 3rd quarter with one of our own, we pounded the rock, ran the clock and got a few first downs. 

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This...

And, the TD they did get was because one player made an amazing play.....and the refs missed a false start.  That ball was overthrown and shouldn't have needed to make a catch like that.  But, he did.  I know our guy was beat.  But, the TD wasn't because the QB made a great throw.  The WR made a great play all the way from the route he ran to the catch.

Yep, a spectacular catch that tied the game and also, it was 4th and 10! :blink: Biggest moment of the game at the time.  WR made a play.  Who does that in a pressure moment?  Well, playmakers always find a way.  And also, it came right after a bad pass by Minnesota's QB. Gifford made a nice play on it and couldn't come up with a game changing interception.  Huskers would have had the ball at the 20 and time to run some clock and punt, flip the field, and possibly force Minny to use timeouts.

Sometimes the other teams we play seem to come up big by winning the play.  

Just like Grant.  He didn't fumble the ball.  The defensive player from behind him whacked it loose.  It was the other team that came up with a big play.  Even though we know Grant was fighting for yards, he should have known better the situation - the time left in the game - and that defenders were going to try to pop the ball free.  So that part is on him for not keeping it super tight or with 2 hands on it.  Smart football or awareness didn't sink in.  

For the Huskers, Omar Brown came up with an interception that he read and timed perfectly.  Ruined a scoring opportunity for Minnesota during a nice drive.

The first pick thrown by Sims was an incredible effort by Minnesota.  Amazing catch near the turf.  The other 2 picks were bad pass reads, but opportunities for their defense to make a play.  And they made the play.  Those defenders are not receivers, they could have dropped all 3 picks, or one of them, but didn't.  They changed the game by making it happen.  

In other words, playmakers make plays when there is opportunity, by showcasing the talent and ability they have in the game, but also by playing fundamentally smart.

• TBH 1
15 minutes ago, admo said:

In other words, playmakers make plays when there is opportunity, by showcasing the talent and ability they have in the game, but also by playing fundamentally smart.

I like how positive you are, dude. I mean it.

I like your positive take there. I think the big concern though is, is this the kind of passer Sims will routinely be, or was a 3 interception game the exception? The two INT's where he either didn't put the ball where it needed to be or couldn't see coverage is kind of like Tommy Armstrong stuff where you're just really scared every time the 'skers are in 3rd & medium/3rd & long. But, it's too early to tell either way.

Rhule probably wants to try to play for 3rd & short with power running and wear the other team down by early in the 4th quarter. I don't think he wants his QB throwing all that much no matter who's in the game.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

I like how positive you are, dude. I mean it.

I like your positive take there. I think the big concern though is, is this the kind of passer Sims will routinely be, or was a 3 interception game the exception? The two INT's where he either didn't put the ball where it needed to be or couldn't see coverage is kind of like Tommy Armstrong stuff where you're just really scared every time the 'skers are in 3rd & medium/3rd & long. But, it's too early to tell either way.

Rhule probably wants to try to play for 3rd & short with power running and wear the other team down by early in the 4th quarter. I don't think he wants his QB throwing all that much no matter who's in the game.

Thank you, ditto

We normally have QBs that play up and down in different games.  I'll ride with Sims.  He is going to have some pretty good moments for NU.  Shake the last game off.  Learn.  Play smarter.  Throw some of those darts.  He is capable.  And a threat running the ball.  It's too soon to write him off from a Thursday night in Minnesota (not a normal day to play football and both teams showed it).  He certainly played with poise and composure like Sanders did.  He will come out with a better performance.  He'd be the first to tell you he had a few passes or decisions he would love to have back.  I'm not worried. :)  And we are not playing Michigan's defense or Alabama's or Georgia's or Ohio States.  We playing Colorado.  

• Plus1 3

24 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think the big concern though is, is this the kind of passer Sims will routinely be, or was a 3 interception game the exception? The two INT's where he either didn't put the ball where it needed to be or couldn't see coverage is kind of like Tommy Armstrong stuff where you're just really scared every time the 'skers are in 3rd & medium/3rd & long. But, it's too early to tell either way.

Exactly. I've shared my concerns about Sims, and especially about the WRs, but even then I still think a lot of people are overreacting based on a single game. Especially since it was game one with a new staff, and Minnesota was probably one of the toughest defenses we'll see this year.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

We will be able to limit them as long as we don't get beat deep. If they connect on that deep ball 2-3 times we won't be able to keep up scorewise, and the defense will start to panic/fall apart. Then it gets ugly.

IDK. I think CU is going to connect on the deep ball at least 2-3 times. Their QB and WRs are too good not to. I don’t think that means we’ll panic, fall apart or that it will get ugly. We still have a path to victory as long as we don’t turn it over and are able to move the ball and chew clock. But yeah, CU is going to make some big plays. It won’t be a game for the faint of heart.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

IDK. I think CU is going to connect on the deep ball at least 2-3 times. Their QB and WRs are too good not to. I don’t think that means we’ll panic, fall apart or that it will get ugly. We still have a path to victory as long as we don’t turn it over and are able to move the ball and chew clock. But yeah, CU is going to make some big plays. It won’t be a game for the faint of heart.

I think they'll connect on some deep shots. But I've rewatched parts of the CU-TCU, and CU's QB stared down his receivers almost as much as Sims did against Minn. I think CU's QB is likely going to be extremely good, but his game against TCU wasn't quite as brilliant as I had thought upon first watching it.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1