Do you think gamecock fans were correct about Marcus Satterfield?

Were gamecock fans correct about Satterfield?   

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

One interesting data point coming out of this weekend is the NC/SC game. There was a lot out of the SC camp that Satterfield was the problem who couldn’t get things done and was a terrible play caller. People in the background saying that Satterfield shouldn’t get credit for the Tennessee or Clemson games and happy to see him gone. Dowell Loggins coming in there would make them so much better on offense.

Seeing a brief overview of that game and SC could not run the ball at all. Lump on sacks and they had negative rush yards. Rattler even had a couple long runs on prevent defense at the end of the game. 

The passing game? Basically a one and one of Rattler to Legette. Don’t get me wrong, Legette is a dude and would break a lot of teams, but throwing jump balls to a beast isn’t exactly offensive wizardry.

I still hate the fourth quarter sequence of throws and outcomes from our qb not being coached to get points. It is only one data point, but not everything seems like Satterfield out at SC is such a huge win. I hope he continues to find his groove, but he might still have his stride coming if he can start to duplicate success he had last year.

I am at least a little interested to see how more of this shakes out this year.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
On 9/1/2023 at 5:35 AM, HuskerNation1 said:

Satterfield had a bad first game. 

1. We were winning a grind it out game when he decided to increase passing in the 2nd half. One drive we threw 3 straight times and gave the ball right back to MN.

2. Calling plays to keep Sims in the pocket plays to Sims weakness. Sims is not a pocket passer and does not see the field well in the pocket 

3. Poor play calling in the red zone.

Yes and what is crazy this is game management it’s some thing that should be a skill and can be learned however i rarely see a coach get better in this area is something that they seem to simply have or they never have it. So likely what will happen is Alberts will be fired Satterfield will be fired Rhule will be fired in that order. Man your number one job as a head coach is to bring in good coordinators or gtfo

• Plus1 1
On 9/1/2023 at 12:13 AM, GamecockFan0 said:

Were all the warnings about how he calls plays and playbook size correct?

We were on the 1 yard line on a drive, false started there, and then pissed the drive down our leg.

Then got down to their 5 on another drive and killed that TD with another false start.

Our QB played really bad in the passing game. So, way too early to tell on the effect Satterfield's going to have here. Nothing wrong with the X's & O's nor the play calling in that game, really.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

On 9/1/2023 at 10:20 AM, hskrpwr13 said:

I guess I'll be the dissenter in this thread too.

Based on simply the play calls, I thought it was fine.

• Before the fire drill at the end of first half, that was a TD.
  • On the FG drive, the play called dead on the false start, from about the 5 yard line, looked good to score or at least get them down to the 1.
  • Then that early fourth quarter sequence,, I've seen some complain about, was there. Somehow the big strong QB limp wristed the pass. Next play, receiver wide open in the middle and pass gets tipped.

Now depending on if Satterfield was responsible for the following, his GPA drops for me.

• The end of half fire drill was completely unnecessary. 30 seconds left, inside the 1, 1 timeout. Couldn't understand why the TO wasn't used there. Settle everyone down. Run the Jalen Hurts QB sneak for 6. Leave 20 seconds on the clock for UMs inept offense. If by some miracle Sims gets stopped, next play was already called during timeout (run it again or spike to stop clock).
  • Understanding the capabilities of the personnel. If there was indicators of Sim's passing being that bad, then yes, needed to call better situation plays (I doubt he/staff thought Sims would be THAT poor). Then of course the idea of having a known fumbler in a crucial part of the game was a major miss. 

All in all, I thought player mistakes at crucial times were more the culprit on offense than the play calling. 

Agree. To your second point, it really looks like almost all the issues the offense had was really about the fundamental misunderstanding or misevaluation of the capabilities of qb1. There’s no excuse for that., and definitely not in the 4th quarter, after he’s shown you what it is for 3 quarters. The playcalls were fine, and would have resulted in a win with even 5% better execution. 

• Plus1 1

I wish we ran the offense we did from 96-99. 

go watch all of our games from those seasons.  Easy to do with YouTube. I watched every game from those teams several times during the BS lockdowns. 
Yeah, we had way better players back then (better talent for the SYSTEM we ran) but I think the playbook (actual offensive formations and plays) is more what I’m talking about. 
Nothing sets us apart anymore from any other school or their system. We look exactly like every other team. And without B+ to A type talent we are just a team on a schedule. 

we may get that talent someday but how the f are we using them to maximize that talent? 

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, I am I said:

I wish we ran the offense we did from 96-99. 

go watch all of our games from those seasons.  Easy to do with YouTube. I watched every game from those teams several times during the BS lockdowns. 
Yeah, we had way better players back then (better talent for the SYSTEM we ran) but I think the playbook (actual offensive formations and plays) is more what I’m talking about. 
Nothing sets us apart anymore from any other school or their system. We look exactly like every other team. And without B+ to A type talent we are just a team on a schedule. 

we may get that talent someday but how the f are we using them to maximize that talent? 

You just can't run the option today like you could back then because of rule changes. Back then, a fullback could run full speed and chop a safety at the knees. That's an illegal cut block today. There's a good interview from just a few months ago between Rhule, Osborne, and Alberts on this.

Second, the zone read isn't much different from the option. We ran quite a bit of zone read against the Gophers, we ran a lot of QB Power, and we handed the ball off to a big, powerful running back out of heavy sets. It can't realistically get too much closer to the basic Osborne philosophy than what we saw on Thursday night.

Thirdly, and you already basically mentioned this, but if we had more offensive talent, then anything we did would probably automatically look better.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2
On 9/3/2023 at 10:31 AM, deedsker said:

One interesting data point coming out of this weekend is the NC/SC game. There was a lot out of the SC camp that Satterfield was the problem who couldn’t get things done and was a terrible play caller. People in the background saying that Satterfield shouldn’t get credit for the Tennessee or Clemson games and happy to see him gone. Dowell Loggins coming in there would make them so much better on offense.

Seeing a brief overview of that game and SC could not run the ball at all. Lump on sacks and they had negative rush yards. Rattler even had a couple long runs on prevent defense at the end of the game. 

The passing game? Basically a one and one of Rattler to Legette. Don’t get me wrong, Legette is a dude and would break a lot of teams, but throwing jump balls to a beast isn’t exactly offensive wizardry.

I still hate the fourth quarter sequence of throws and outcomes from our qb not being coached to get points. It is only one data point, but not everything seems like Satterfield out at SC is such a huge win. I hope he continues to find his groove, but he might still have his stride coming if he can start to duplicate success he had last year.

I am at least a little interested to see how more of this shakes out this year.

I'll admit that the game was terrible on offense for us.

But the thing is most of those problems offensively seem to stem from a Oline that looked unprepared with 0 continuity due to injuries from would be starters and a lack of hitting the portal well enough to address the problems along the line. Lack of depth and talent at RB position also doesn't do us any favors for the rest of the season either.

But from what I saw play calling wise from Loggains I think he called a pretty good game given that Rattler was given 0 time from the line for the plays to really develop and still pass for 30/39 353 while being sacked 9 times and running for his life majority of the game. Plus the offense being pretty much rendered one dimensional with zero threat of a running play actually going anywhere. 

What I and I'd think most fans like from Loggains play calling opposed to what Satt called for us is actually throwing shots down the field more and being a bit more creative and diverse with the calls that he makes. But we still have the rest of the season to see how he works out but I'd say fans are pleased with the play calling and what offense can possibly do but very dissapointed at the Oline's performace and hoping that we can fix that in some way.