What did we learn? La Tech version

Red Five

Not buying this crap about needing to wait until half to make adjustments. Is Satterfield really that poor of an OC that he can't see adjustments need to be made during play? The other headshaker is that we just needed to run the clock after the rain delay and get out of there, not pass and run off a few seconds. Forget Michigan, we need to run that Solich style running game with Power I, pro sets, option and occasionally hit some receivers....that's what they've been able to do best. Grant was awesome....really showed up the second half! Haarberg is a gamer...not a great passer but really puts his heart in it. Kemp IV is a guy you can count on when things aren't going right....the kind of player every coach wants.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, ndobney said:

That’s the building blocks right there. 

Ehhhh, the offense running stats, while keeping the team from disaster offensively, is not the recipe for future success when the QB represents such a large portion of those stats.  The team still struggles to get the RB’s going on a consistent basis vs relying a big chunk runs in order to have scoring drives.    

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Ehhhh, the offense running stats, while keeping the team from disaster offensively, is not the recipe for future success when the QB represents such a large portion of those stats.  The team still struggles to get the RB’s going on a consistent basis vs relying a big chunk runs in order to have scoring drives.    

I’m not saying we are there yet it’s just the foundation. It’s a ways to go before we get a skyscraper. Nothing wrong with having the qb having a lot of rushing yds we won 3 natty”s doing that

• TBH 2
1 hour ago, ndobney said:

I’m not saying we are there yet it’s just the foundation. It’s a ways to go before we get a skyscraper. Nothing wrong with having the qb having a lot of rushing yds we won 3 natty”s doing that

Umm, that was 30 years ago, and even then we didn’t rely on the QB running the ball like we are this season. NU has already had to play 3 QB’s in 4 games due to QB’s picking up injuries. It’s not a recipe for long-term success.

I know you think NU needs to run the triple option like the military academies, but you will see how bad of an idea that is this coming Saturday against Michigan. 

• Plus1 3

Our drop back passing game is pretty bad. But we're at least somewhat better than "pretty bad" with play action and RPO's where we throw. Our tackles just can't judge how to move their bodies to move pass rushers off of their line of attack. It's almost stupid how bad it is.

I really tend to think it's due in large part to bad coaching, specifically not doing enough "1's vs. the 1's" under Frost. These guys just don't have the muscle memory for the speed of the game and it kind of seems like they may never get it corrected at this point. It's still possible, but probably not likely.

Satterfield seems to have realized in the 3rd quarter that LA Tech was having a hard time defending our 22 man jumbo sets. And our edge blockers did well, and Grant is kind of starting to become the complete package. It's weird how much better we are at run blocking than pass blocking, and that's not just because of decent fullback blocking.

The O-line is just way better at run blocking when they're working downhill.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
6 minutes ago, Undone said:

The O-line is just way better at run blocking when they're working downhill.

Yeah, that's something I think a lot are overlooking: the OL's run blocking really hasn't been too bad. But on pass blocking, a couple guys have some glaring issues. Especially Corcoran, he's been alright at run blocking, but his pass blocking is yikes. Hopefully Teddy will be taking over LT at some point, and maybe Corc can slide inside.

3 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Not buying this crap about needing to wait until half to make adjustments. Is Satterfield really that poor of an OC that he can't see adjustments need to be made during play? The other headshaker is that we just needed to run the clock after the rain delay and get out of there, not pass and run off a few seconds. Forget Michigan, we need to run that Solich style running game with Power I, pro sets, option and occasionally hit some receivers....that's what they've been able to do best. Grant was awesome....really showed up the second half! Haarberg is a gamer...not a great passer but really puts his heart in it. Kemp IV is a guy you can count on when things aren't going right....the kind of player every coach wants.

You have a good point.  This idea of "adjustments" at halftime is sort fake.   I have been a part of hundreds of halftimes and there is just not a lot that you change.  

OL blocking changes but that is done on the sidelines and usually it is just something like "Okay, so he is lining up inside, okay, so lets do this instead"

Fans sometimes like to act like halftime is this magical time where all this new stuff goes in.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

I actually think Haarberg has some potential as a passer. First off, he has the height, and secondly he's clearly not afraid of getting hit. He just needs way more time in the system - which is normal to say of a lot of sophomores.

Another positive for me (albeit a small thing) was calling up the jet sweep for Kemp on the TD. Loved the call and the execution on that one. That play is a keeper, and not just inside the red zone.

I'd like to see a variation of that play where the jet sweep is faked to Kemp, QB rolls in the opposite direction, and Fidone sprints deep down the hash for a long ball.

10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

You have a good point.  This idea of "adjustments" at halftime is sort fake.   I have been a part of hundreds of halftimes and there is just not a lot that you change.  

OL blocking changes but that is done on the sidelines and usually it is just something like "Okay, so he is lining up inside, okay, so lets do this instead"

Fans sometimes like to act like halftime is this magical time where all this new stuff goes in.

Satterfield is trying to develop some concepts to be successful on first down passing, early in the game. It hasn’t worked, so the last 2 games he’s gone back to “let’s just pound it at them and win the game ugly”. It’s not halftime adjustments, it’s just the staff realizing that they will need to win ugly again, and worry about development second. 

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Satterfield is trying to develop some concepts to be successful on first down passing, early in the game. It hasn’t worked, so the last 2 games he’s gone back to “let’s just pound it at them and win the game ugly”. It’s not halftime adjustments, it’s just the staff realizing that they will need to win ugly again, and worry about development second. 

That is probably all pretty accurate.  

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Undone said:

I actually think Haarberg has some potential as a passer. First off, he has the height, and secondly he's clearly not afraid of getting hit. He just needs way more time in the system - which is normal to say of a lot of sophomores.

Another positive for me (albeit a small thing) was calling up the jet sweep for Kemp on the TD. Loved the call and the execution on that one. That play is a keeper, and not just inside the red zone.

I'd like to see a variation of that play where the jet sweep is faked to Kemp, QB rolls in the opposite direction, and Fidone sprints deep down the hash for a long ball.

I mean...he is 100% getting replaced next year via the portal.  So, I would not get super attached. 

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 1