Tells Us your Football Story

TGHusker

I'll be serious too..I had Matt Herian on my flag team when he was in 5th grade. It was obvious then he was special and i told everyone to remember this kids name cuz we will be reading about him in the papers. I was right on that one. Being the great coach I was, I don't think I gave him the ball nearly enough.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, skers83 said:

I'll be serious too..I had Matt Herian on my flag team when he was in 5th grade. It was obvious then he was special and i told everyone to remember this kids name cuz we will be reading about him in the papers. I was right on that one. Being the great coach I was, I don't think I gave him the ball nearly enough.

Did he play for Pierce?  I think a team I coached played against him.  Maybe he was already gone, I don't remember now.  I just remember those Pierce teams were good.

• Plus1 2
Just now, teachercd said:

Did he play for Pierce?  I think a team I coached played against him.  Maybe he was already gone, I don't remember now.  I just remember those Pierce teams were good.

Yes, he played HS ball for Pierce. He was also a stud in Basketball. At least in his Junior high days. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I wanted to play fb as a kid.  I was too big, there was a size limit.  I played soccer.

In 7&8th grade, played flag football.  It was all my school had.

I was a captain my senior year on a state championship team.  We were honored by the Nebraska Hall of fame 25 years later.

Played at a small college and started 4 years.  Went there because I wanted to do track too.  I was a state champ in track and a 3 time all-American in track in college.  Truthfully I was better in track than FB.

I coached FB for about 5 years out of college.  Coached my son when he was in JH.

I jumped back into coaching when a HS friend came here to coach.  I am more of an operations guy because I am also a HS administrator.

My son is a senior at a small college.  I go to quite a few of his games when I can.  I don't get to see too many Husker games.

That is about it.  I was blessed by the game FB.  I love it and it kept me out of trouble.  I watch as much CFB as I can.  

• Plus1 2

I went out for football in 7th grade.  Wasn't the starter first game.  After about a quarter, the coach puts me in as a lineman.  Of course I'm amped up and all nervous.  We break huddle...I go to the line, put my hand on the ground, look up and the kid across from me had a bloody nose and it was all over his face and down his jersey.  Scared the living crap out of me.  I thought I was going to die.  Got through that.  Played again in 8th grade.  But....in HS, I was involved with some stuff over summer that didn't get over till well into September, so I really wasn't able to do both that and start football practice in August.  I also started having major problems with my ankles that caused me to not be able to run.  So....my budding career was over.  Always loved playing Defensive end though.

Fast forward to later in HS and I was working a summer job with Jay Novacek.   He was playing for Wyoming at the time.  We were passing the ball around and playing tag football one day at noon.  He had the ball and jogging and I thought...man...this is my chance to tackle him.  I bounced off hard so hard hit the ground and he didn't even break stride.....other than because he was laughing so damn hard.

I was 6' 3" and 150 lbs.  I didn't belong anywhere close to a football field in HS.

• Plus1 2

I played in 7th grade for the middle school and was a complete wuss. I was fast, so I was in at RB, WR, and kick/punt returner. But, I was terrified of contact. It got to the point that, after the season, my parents both took me aside and told me that football might not be for me and that I should probably not play it. Fast forward a year to 8th grade, and I tell my parents that I want to play again, and this year it will be different. I was still fast and a runt, but had a totally different attitude. I played nose tackle and left guard as one of the smallest kids on the team. I was a beast out there, having a great time with contact ever single play. But, after two concussions that season, we all decided that football was not in my best interest, and this is back in the day when concussions were just getting your bell rung.

Needless to say, moved on to playing baseball year-round after that. I did miss playing football though. 

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Only other highlights were getting a concussion on a kickoff return team vs Lincoln East and, in our game against Kearney, I was in a goal line pileup at the pylon and a ref got stuck in there and I heard his leg snap as my body went into him. We kept them out of the EZ tho

I had a similar experience - met a RB sweeping around the end - we collided like two freight trains - I got up literally seeing stars dancing - they heard the hit on the other side of the field. I thought the stars were kind of cool in a non-drug induced way.  Probably explains my ADHD:blink:

• Plus1 2

What do you guys remember about practice?    For me 2 things stood out:

1. Cold wet Octobers in S.D. and the feeling of freezing fingers getting smashed by someone's helmet

2. Pre-season August 3 a day practices that included endless "up downs' and tackling drills  

Literally my all time favorite movie - so many life lessons and great acting & inspiration

• Plus1 1