The Israel-Hamas War

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I’ve never understood the whole setting yourself on fire thing. I imagine it takes all of about 1.5 seconds to realize you made a very bad mistake.

There are a handful of people who have survived jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge, and they all reported an immediate sense of regret. 

• Plus1 1

I am surprised by the lack of condemnation of how women were abused on Oct 7th, as shown by Hamas' own videos. It took the UN over a month to say something. Protestors that ignore what Hamas did to women (and their treatment of women in general) is a head shaker. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0aT47gxKfk/?hl=en

"the world has failed the women of October 7th." 

"We claim we stand against rape, violence against women. We will not let women be victimized and then silenced. We say we believe women, stand with women, speak out for women."

"This is our moment as women and allies of women to act. I am beseeching all those who have done so much for women’s rights globally – from the UN, to the human rights community, to please join in the demand that Hamas release every single woman hostage immediately – not after the next round of international mediation, not after another day. These women cannot survive another moment of this horror," Gadot wrote. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/10/politics/cnn-tv-antony-blinken-hamas-sexual-violence/index.html

“I don’t know why countries, leaders, international organizations were so slow to focus on this, to bring it to people’s attention. I’m glad it is finally happening,” Blinken told CNN’s Jake Tapper on “State of the Union.” “The atrocities that we saw on October 7 are almost beyond human description or beyond our capacity to digest. And we’ve talked about them before, but the sexual violence that we saw on October 7 is beyond anything that I’ve seen either.”

Asked by Tapper why the United Nations and the international community have been so slow to respond to the allegations, Blinken said, “I think it is a question that these organizations, these countries need to ask themselves.”

I just received a notification from my Son's university.  Am I not sure if I will identify the school??  It is considered a "little Ivy."  It is a school with a big Jewish population, and I think a lot of Jewish people in leadership.  I think.

There was a Palestinian protest today.  They met with school leadership and were told there were not allowed to protest where they did.  When security tried to shut them down, security was attacked.  City police now involved. 

My son has a Christian Theology minor.  Really at this school just means 3 classes.  He did really enjoy learning the Old Testament from a Jewish perspective.  (Yes, I know the Jewish people don't refer to it as the OT.)

I asked him about the climate on campus last week.  He said, hasn't heard too much, but my son also ignores all of that type of stuff.

• Plus1 1