2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

6 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

I'm guessing with the number of wr we got last & this year, this position would need to a special take.  Especially with our situation at qb & ol.

I'm guessing with the number of wr we got last & this year, this position would need to a special take.  Especially with our situation at qb & ol.

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Yes, I'm a dumbass!

• Haha 2
  • TBH 2

17 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I'd guess we'll go after one experienced WR this year - if we could find another Billy Kemp, that would be enough. You want Coleman/Lloyd/Doss to step up and become impact players, and I think they will with the experience they got plus spring ball which they haven't done before. But you need more than 3-4 guys, and someone with more than Alex Bullock's 15 career catches would be nice. 

So I guess I agree it will need to be a special player, but more in terms of experience than talent IMO. If you can get both great, but a Billy Kemp 2.0 would do the '24 team more good than the touted but inexperienced and often disappointing former top recruit. 

8 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I'd guess we'll go after one experienced WR this year - if we could find another Billy Kemp, that would be enough. You want Coleman/Lloyd/Doss to step up and become impact players, and I think they will with the experience they got plus spring ball which they haven't done before. But you need more than 3-4 guys, and someone with more than Alex Bullock's 15 career catches would be nice. 

So I guess I agree it will need to be a special player, but more in terms of experience than talent IMO. If you can get both great, but a Billy Kemp 2.0 would do the '24 team more good than the touted but inexperienced and often disappointing former top recruit. 

It seemed that Lloyd was coming along , but Doss & Bell was a no show.  We are really thin at experienced wr & bullock is not it.

1 minute ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

It seemed that Lloyd was coming along , but Doss & Bell was a no show.  We are really thin at experienced wr & bullock is not it.

Doss was hurt for the beginning of the year and elected to use his redshirt - he's doing fine and I think will be the starter at Slot unless that's where we find a good portal fit. And Bell was apparently 157 lbs when he showed up in the Summer but is now up to 192, so I expect a significant leap - he just wasn't physically ready.

Still going to be short on experience overall, but I don't think the WR group is far from being really good. I think they'll be decent/good in '24, and by '25 a strength of the team. Almost every good receiver we've had has redshirted*, and many of them (Spielman, Bell, Swift) put up big numbers as redshirt freshmen. The leap from having a full year in the program is big, so I'm not super worried about the room regardless of transfers.

*Exceptions off the top of my head were Enunwa (1 catch as a true freshman) and Wan'Dale (very talented in a WR room that was not, and then played RB anyway)

• Plus1 2
Just now, Husker in WI said:

Doss was hurt for the beginning of the year and elected to use his redshirt - he's doing fine and I think will be the starter at Slot unless that's where we find a good portal fit. And Bell was apparently 157 lbs when he showed up in the Summer but is now up to 192, so I expect a significant leap - he just wasn't physically ready.

Still going to be short on experience overall, but I don't think the WR group is far from being really good. I think they'll be decent/good in '24, and by '25 a strength of the team. Almost every good receiver we've had has redshirted*, and many of them (Spielman, Bell, Swift) put up big numbers as redshirt freshmen. The leap from having a full year in the program is big, so I'm not super worried about the room regardless of transfers.

*Exceptions off the top of my head were Enunwa (1 catch as a true freshman) and Wan'Dale (very talented in a WR room that was not, and then played RB anyway)

Unfortunately, our freshman got a quite a few snaps.  The near future should tell us a lot.

30 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

It would be nice to get a decent QB early.  Then, it would be easier to convince a good WR to come here.  I was thinking someone like Toure or Palmer.  But, Lloyd showed he can stretch the field.  So, I really don't care if it's a speedy down field guy or a bigger receiver that can make plays in traffic.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

And...over 80% of those came from one position.

Not to state the obvious, but I think what we are asking our quarterbacks to do has led to the turnover epidemic.  Unless the next Kyler Murray comes calling, I’m done with “dual threat “ quarterbacks and whatever type system this staff is trying to run.  

1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

Not to state the obvious, but I think what we are asking our quarterbacks to do has led to the turnover epidemic.  Unless the next Kyler Murray comes calling, I’m done with “dual threat “ quarterbacks and whatever type system this staff is trying to run.  

There are dual threat QBs that don't come anywhere close to this number turnovers.

And....I don't know of any Husker fans that don't understand we need a QB that is good at passing.  If they can also be mobile and run....great.  But, passing is the most important.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 3
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

It would be nice to get a decent QB early.  Then, it would be easier to convince a good WR to come here.  I was thinking someone like Toure or Palmer.  But, Lloyd showed he can stretch the field.  So, I really don't care if it's a speedy down field guy or a bigger receiver that can make plays in traffic.

This is dead on.  I think it'd help maybe secure one decent lineman too.

Hopefully we got of this mess soon and we don't have to worry about the portal.  Of course it'll always be there, but I think we are at the point where we "need" it.  It'd be nice to get away from that.