Center giving away the snap count

2 minutes ago, ZRod said:

True, but we all saw the tackles acting like swinging doors in the first half of the season. I think there was improvement in pass pro as the season went on. The Maryland game they did a good job. Run blocking was night and day from last year, and improved some through the season. I'm ok with Raiola getting another season at this point. Especially considering the next man up filled in without missing a beat when injuries happened.

I am too.

Husker fans calling for the O line coach to be fired is like Pavlov's dogs.  Something goes wrong on offense...."FIRE THE O LINE COACH".

5 hours ago, ZRod said:

3) There's really not that much advantage for the defense. Most centers will mix it up and pause for a count or two from time to time so it's not consistent play-to-play.

When both sides go on movement of the ball, the defensive players get an advantage.  When the offense goes on a verbal snap count, they anticipate the snap, and move in concert with the snap.  Why for example you see O-lineman jump when a new QB comes in because the cadence can vary slightly.  

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1
10 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

When both sides go on movement of the ball, the defensive players get an advantage.  When the offense goes on a verbal snap count, they anticipate the snap, and move in concert with the snap.  Why for example you see O-lineman jump when a new QB comes in because the cadence can vary slightly.  

The defense doesn't get an advantage. It just negates the offensive advantage, and honestly it doesn't matter. This isn't anything new. Every single team from highschool on up has used a silent count.

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Even back in 2021 when I was blaming Scott Frost for everything, Nebraska and its supposedly abysmal OL and playcalling were generating the second best offense in the Big 10.  (let's ignore the turnover and red zone issues) 

image.thumb.png.68e5adf66a445550082269c9d472761c.png

The offense was never really the problem under Frost. They were scoring much more than this offense.

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

"Poor O Line play"

vS7dOMb.png

"Fire Raiola"

:rolleyes:

Great, we're the number 1 ranked running team in the big 10.  804 of those yards come from the qb, a lot of which come on big chunk plays on broken pass plays.  Our QBs account for 42% of our rushes.  Our scoring is almost dead last, slightly above Iowa.

We rank 125th out of 130 in red zone efficency.  You know, the area where having "the top ranked running attack" in the big 10 should be a big advantage for us

But you know, these are just cherry picked stats.  Raiola is doing a phenomenal job.  

17 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Even back in 2021 when I was blaming Scott Frost for everything, Nebraska and its supposedly abysmal OL and playcalling were generating the second best offense in the Big 10.  (let's ignore the turnover and red zone issues) 

image.thumb.png.68e5adf66a445550082269c9d472761c.png

Frosty had no problem moving the ball when our o line didnt false start or hold all the time, he failed miserably translating it to 7 in the red zone

9 minutes ago, ZRod said:

The offense was never really the problem under Frost. They were scoring much more than this offense.

I’d say Frost’s offenses were indirectly the problem. Yes they scored more but it was not complimentary. Often they would go 3 and out in the matter of about 20 some seconds and then we’d have to put our gassed D right back out there.

• TBH 1
3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I’d say Frost’s offenses were indirectly the problem. Yes they scored more but it was not complimentary. Often they would go 3 and out in the matter of about 20 some seconds and then we’d have to put our gassed D right back out there.

So true on the lack of complimentary football.

Let's also not forget that we had so many games under frost where we're down by more than 1 possession in the 4th and we put some late scores up.  Yardage was never an issue for frost- penalities, 3 and outs, and a miserable redzone % was that offenses' downfall.

26 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Great, we're the number 1 ranked running team in the big 10.  804 of those yards come from the qb, a lot of which come on big chunk plays on broken pass plays.  Our QBs account for 42% of our rushes.  Our scoring is almost dead last, slightly above Iowa.

We rank 125th out of 130 in red zone efficency.  You know, the area where having "the top ranked running attack" in the big 10 should be a big advantage for us

But you know, these are just cherry picked stats.  Raiola is doing a phenomenal job.  

I get you're cherry-picking stats, which is why your argument doesn't hold up. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Not saying fire him, but look up rushing TD and sacks allowed.

There's room for improvement for sure. The line has been decimated by injuries and guys who weren't expected to get a lot of snaps are starting. 

That post isn't to say everything's fine. It's to say we have to be doing some things right, even with 60% of our starters out for the season, because the team with the third-worst passing offense in the league leads the league in rushing. They know we're going to run, they know we can't pass, they load the box, and we're still grinding it out on the ground. 

If our line was trash and the coach should be fired, we wouldn't be leading in rushing. He's doing some things right under difficult circumstances. People put almost no thought into these "fire _____" posts. 

• TBH 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I get you're cherry-picking stats, which is why your argument doesn't hold up. 

I was being sarcastic.  Given he's the most tenured position coach working with arguably the most tenured players on the team in terms of college playing experience and games played at nebraska- im not thrilled at all about what I've seen this year.  

Spell out how my argument doesnt work?  As pitiful as our offense is, it looks even worse when you take out the outliners, aka the massive qb runs we've had on broken plays by all 3 of our qbs.  I get our RB room is injured- but we havent moved the line against any one with a pulse and its gotten worse as the season has progressed.  Sure, the line play has cleaned up a bit- but by no means has our o line imposed its will on any big10 team with a pulse defensively.

Our lack of passing attack makes it tougher, for sure, but I've seen us get stuffed 1 too many times on 3rd and 4th and short.  And as I said in a previous post, we dont move anything in the redzone. 

• TBH 2
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

The defense doesn't get an advantage. It just negates the offensive advantage, and honestly it doesn't matter. This isn't anything new. Every single team from highschool on up has used a silent count.

I know it's nothing knew. I'm just pointing out that it takes away the advantage the O line has.  And....I think it lends itself to OTs jumping off sides more because they are watching everyone else...then the D moves...then they think the ball has snapped.

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Is this an answer to my question?

Well....again...back in the day, one big advantage the O line had was that they knew when the ball was going to be snapped.

Now...they don't have that advantage?  Also, many times the OT isn't looking at the ball.  So, does he go when the D starts moving?  That seems like an advantage to the D.

Not really, because the first time the D actually attempts to jump the snap in this way, you wait a half second after lifting your head next time and get 5 free yards. It's like anytime you think a defense has a bead on your cadence; you just alter it. 

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know it's nothing knew. I'm just pointing out that it takes away the advantage the O line has.  And....I think it lends itself to OTs jumping off sides more because they are watching everyone else...then the D moves...then they think the ball has snapped.

Then they need to be more disciplined. It's not that hard to not jump. I forgot the count all the time playing tackle in highschool and never jumped offside this much :lol: Granted 70k people weren't screaming at me.