All-B1G Defense

Mavric

I'm not going to waste my time doing other years, but the 2023 defense isn't even in the same conversation as the 2009 defense.

3.98 yards/play

10.4 points/game

offenses faced in yards/play: #20, #21, #36, #38, #48, #60, #63, #65, #73, #75, #79, #83, #98, #115

4.62 yards/play

18.3 points/game

offenses faced in yards/play: #33, #52, #60 #64, #65, #88, #97, #98, #120, #124, #125, #133

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

It's not near the best Husker defense, and that's ignoring relative strength of opposing offenses.

But, it's a great first year, let's not let past greatness overshadow that. To get that kind of buy in on year one is something special. As time goes on we'll get pieces that fit even better and White will get more accustomed to calling the defense to better fit this league. I'd say its pretty fair to say they exceeded expectations on that side this year despite being put into a lot of really bad spots.

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

3.98 yards/play

10.4 points/game

offenses faced in yards/play: #20, #21, #36, #38, #48, #60, #63, #65, #73, #75, #79, #83, #98, #115

4.62 yards/play

18.3 points/game

offenses faced in yards/play: #33, #52, #60 #64, #65, #88, #97, #98, #120, #124, #125, #133

Yards per game?

What about 2010?  

@runningblind said 2009 AND 2010.

Nobody cares about offenses faced unless you want to put your own personal oomph into it. Plus nobody cares. 

When you play anyone outside of the top 20, you can't be taken seriously.  Probably top 15.  If you know, you know.

And, .64 per play more is not really that impressive.  It's not that much more to be honest.  Because nobody cares.

10.4 points per game is very impressive.  I will give you that.  Good job 2009 Husker defense!  

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, brophog said:

It's not near the best Husker defense, and that's ignoring relative strength of opposing offenses.

But, it's a great first year, let's not let past greatness overshadow that. To get that kind of buy in on year one is something special. As time goes on we'll get pieces that fit even better and White will get more accustomed to calling the defense to better fit this league. I'd say its pretty fair to say they exceeded expectations on that side this year despite being put into a lot of really bad spots.

Well that's your opinion.  I have mine.  You have to go WAAAY back to 2009...... 13 years ago to bring up your bragging points or discredit the 2023 team.

Again, yall need to really understand this.  Outside of the top 15 rankings for wins and losses, and the ever changing top 20, nobody cares about "strength of opposing offenses" stats.  In fact, nobody cares about any team's worth outside the top 15.  Nobody cares if you hold down the fort against teams with stats ranked outside of.............. Including 2009.  But, the 2009 defense did their job pretty good, and so did 2023.  And neither won the conference.  

• Haha 1

I know I got some of yall fired up (which is always exciting for me!), but I don't want to come across as a snob or jerk or know-it-all. 

It's just my opinion.  I am wrong to quickly think that the 2023 defense is the best I ever saw.  Which was my opinion. 

I was told the 2023 was not the best I've seen. 

I don't remember that season being so awesome that you all are so fond of back in 2009.  If you want to reflect on that year and husk your corn over it, go have a ball.  No worries.  That was a long time ago, I'm sure there some video out there with full games and not just highlights or slow motion highlights and hip-hop music to keep you fired up.  And that's fine too.

I just don't understand the push back.  This 2023 defense did great with points per game allowed, and even yards per game and yards per play.  I shouldn't have ever said best ever on a Nebraska football message board.  Because it's like having a different opinion about the Runza, and folks will let you know how wrong you are.  

On record, neither team won a conference championship (2009 or 2023).  

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'm not going to waste my time doing other years, but the 2023 defense isn't even in the same conversation as the 2009 defense.

3.98 yards/play

10.4 points/game

4.62 yards/play

18.3 points/game

Completely disregarded that our offense was awful and our defense should have been much better than any stats could show. Also scoring is up from over a decade ago… 

• Plus1 2

2009 husker defense - all world and greatest ever 

played 8 terrible teams and went 7-1

beat Missouri in the pouring rain and won

beat 7-5 OU

played 3 teams that won 8 games and lost all 3

didn't win the conference

beat a decent Arizona team in the bowl game

Yeah, Thunderstruck.  

2 hours ago, admo said:

Let's go have wings, drinks, shoot pool and discuss it!  :woo

Seriously though, tell me what did 2009 and 2010 defenses do better?  You can talk about Peso (6-7 DB's at once!!!! That's fire!!!) and bring up Ndakamato Suh!!!!  

But hopefully, you can add more to what you are implying from those 2 old defenses that were clearly better than this year's defense. 

I don't mind listening and being proven wrong.  I am probably wrong and that's okay. But not far off though.  Maybe I'm just thinking that this is the best defense in the past 5 years.  Or 7 years.  2010 would be 13 years.  

Maybe I need a reminder instead? 

Tell me how good the 2009 & 2010 defenses did in comparison? 

With points allowed per game, yards per game, and other neat stats that was more impressive. 

I'd love to see the comparison, because I want to know if I am clearly wrong to think this was the best defense I have ever seen collectively.  

Show me those 2009 AND 2010 stats.  Then let's go shoot pool and grab wings :)

2009: #1 scoring D, that's kind of important ;), #8 rushing D, #18 passing D, #7 total D, all better than this year.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2009-team-defense.html

http://www.cfbstats.com/2009/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category10/sort01.html

2010: #10 scoring D, #5 passing D, #11 total D.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2010-team-defense.html

http://www.cfbstats.com/2010/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category10/sort01.html

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1
33 minutes ago, admo said:

2009 husker defense - all world and greatest ever 

played 8 terrible teams and went 7-1

beat Missouri in the pouring rain and won

beat 7-5 OU

played 3 teams that won 8 games and lost all 3

didn't win the conference

beat a decent Arizona team in the bowl game

Yeah, Thunderstruck.  

Yet the offenses we played this year were WAY worse than what we played in 2009 and 2010.  

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 2
14 hours ago, admo said:

Let's go have wings, drinks, shoot pool and discuss it!  :woo

Seriously though, tell me what did 2009 and 2010 defenses do better?  You can talk about Peso (6-7 DB's at once!!!! That's fire!!!) and bring up Ndakamato Suh!!!!  

But hopefully, you can add more to what you are implying from those 2 old defenses that were clearly better than this year's defense. 

I don't mind listening and being proven wrong.  I am probably wrong and that's okay. But not far off though.  Maybe I'm just thinking that this is the best defense in the past 5 years.  Or 7 years.  2010 would be 13 years.  

Maybe I need a reminder instead? 

Tell me how good the 2009 & 2010 defenses did in comparison? 

With points allowed per game, yards per game, and other neat stats that was more impressive. 

I'd love to see the comparison, because I want to know if I am clearly wrong to think this was the best defense I have ever seen collectively.  

Show me those 2009 AND 2010 stats.  Then let's go shoot pool and grab wings :)

09 had an equally inept offense and that defense not only kept the team in games, but won games and wrecked game plans on the other side. Suh def the headliner but also had crick and turner. Will Compton at linebacker and prince at Cb were nfl guys- the guys behind them were no ordinary guys either- many of them would be number 1 on the depth chart the past few years.

stats wise isn’t fair. This defense was a menace in the era when spread really took over in the big 12.

everyone remembers the Texas and Colorado games where Suh was a force, let’s not forget Missouri in the rain and the menace he was. 

the biggest thing the defense this year was missing was A DUDE who can single handily ruin the day for the other team. 09 had that plus more experience/talent at every level compared to this year

2010 was pretty similar to above but swap out Suh for lavonte. One of the biggest wishes I have ever had for husker football was to see those 2 on the field in the same year, we just missed it by a season but hot damn that would’ve been fun to watch both Suh and lavonte do their thing. You couple that with the offense we had in 2010 and I honestly think we’d be in the title hunt