QB Dylan Raiola to Sign with Nebraska!

87skers

1 hour ago, Undone said:

What I would expect with a recruit like Raiola coming to a dumpster fire program like ours is one main thing (and then an obvious second one in the new era of NIL):

1. The big draw is having the potential to play much earlier than you would somewhere else.

2. You somehow get a bigger paycheck than any other competing offers.

#2 is very plausible. But #1 is more of a head scratcher if McCord is coming in.

1) Raiola will be best served to not be a true freshmen starter and learn for a year.   I believe his family knows this.

2) He is still in position to be a redshirt freshmen starter in a P4 conference 

3) the chance of GA trying to recruit over him or continue to bring in proven QB transfers is great than at NU.  

• Plus1 4

7 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

1) Raiola will be best served to not be a true freshmen starter and learn for a year.   I believe his family knows this.

2) He is still in position to be a redshirt freshmen starter in a P4 conference 

3) the chance of GA trying to recruit over him or continue to bring in proven QB transfers is great than at NU.  

Yeah, when I wrote that post I didn't know that Georgia's #2 QB has supposedly transferred out. That negated some of what I wrote.  Yes, if coaching staffs know what they're doing then he's probably not seeing the field as a true freshman either way.

But I have little doubt that "playing earlier" factors into decision making - even if it's not happening your true freshman year.

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Absolutely.   And that’s an easier route at NU than GA 

Yep. That's why I thought back in the spring that we had a legitimate chance of landing him, given Rhule's college coaching track record.

Different train of thought: from the NIL angle, I think the amount of money any college team is offering factors into the equation less for high profile players like Dylan (who have a good chance of going to the NFL someday) over the low to mid tier players. Because if you make it to the NFL that money is going to be way more, most likely.

Dylan is one of those players. So I'd think the main criteria is who he & his family thinks can develop & showcase his abilities the best for the NFL.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

Yep. That's why I thought back in the spring that we had a legitimate chance of landing him, given Rhule's college coaching track record.

Different train of thought: from the NIL angle, I think the amount of money any college team is offering factors into the equation less for high profile players like Dylan (who have a good chance of going to the NFL someday) over the low to mid tier players. Because if you make it to the NFL that money is going to be way more, most likely.

Dylan is one of those players. So I'd think the main criteria is who he & his family thinks can develop & showcase his abilities the best for the NFL.

I have to wonder if Dylan wanted to see how Rhule and the staff coached this year and whether Rhule was truly giving Donnie a shot or simply keeping him on in hopes of signing his nephews. Maybe Georgia screwed something up in their handling of QBs/roster, but I'd like to believe it was simply Dylan seeing an opportunity here that would check more of his personal goals. The "hero" factor also probably has it's own draw as I fully agree with you that most of these highly rated, Top 10-20 recruits likely have the confidence that they will be in the NFL regardless of where they go.

2 hours ago, Gorillahawk said:

I wonder if Dylan hasn't deep down felt like Nebraska was "home" during this entire progress, but OSU and UGA were better programs so he listened to some of the people around him pushing him to go to those other places, and eventually he just had an open conversation with those important to him and told them how at heart he wanted to be a Cornhusker like his dad and uncle. 

I think he knows he’s just another number on the roster at those schools and they’ll continue to bring in 5 star QBs who will be breathing down his neck.

10 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Yeah they are going after Patrick Mahomes qb coach Jeff Christensen

I dont know how feasible that is as a get, but I'm just of the opinion that you should have a dedicated coach for what is disproportionately the most important player on the field. I think OCs wanting to be the QB coach is too often a control issue rather than one of efficacy. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

So I'd think the main criteria is who he & his family thinks can develop & showcase his abilities the best for the NFL.

I don't think that is nearly as important as it once was. You have top picks coming out of lower divisions now, entire starting offenses full of players that went to lower tier schools. Players often have their own private coaches. Games are on TV all of the time so you get exposure practically anywhere.

The NFL has shown, especially over the last decade, that they'll go where the talent is. It may affect your draft stock a little bit if you did it at an SEC or Big Ten school, but the real money is in your second contract and no one will care where you went to school once you're in the league.

I'd advise a guy to go where he'll have fun during his college years. If fun means competing for national titles, then you're going to have to pick that from that very selective group that can recruit enough aggregate talent to do that. If you just want to be the starting QB, you could go to Wyoming or Texas Tech.

7 minutes ago, brophog said:

If you just want to be the starting QB, you could go to Wyoming or Texas Tech.

Of course. But as high school seniors, Josh Allen & Patrick Mahomes were 3 star players according to 24/7. There are very few similarities between those two guys and Dylan Raiola as college recruits.

Now they're both perfect examples of how where you play doesn't necessarily matter in the long run, no arguments there. I'm just talking about the thought process that the college recruit goes through coming into his freshman year somewhere.

• Mavric changed the title to QB Dylan Raiola to Sign with Nebraska!