Huskers Hire Glenn Thomas as Co-Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Yes, but Thompson also had a better passer rating than any of the three.  With much worse talent around him.  

Yeah, when you only play three games and one of them is against Monmouth, it's pretty easy to get an inflated rating.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Thompson had a worse QBR than any of our three last year.

Might wanna double check that number for Sims. And as Archy said, Thompson was highest of the four in passer rating, and almost every other relevant stat.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Toe said:

Might wanna double check that number for Sims. And as Archy said, Thompson was highest of the four in passer rating, and almost every other relevant stat.

I must not have looked at those stats again after Sims got some more playing time against Maryland.  Before that he was higher than Thompson.

But, again, that's really only because Thompson threw for 280 yards and 5 TDs against Monmouth.  Sims was better (using that term extremely loosely) against D-1 competition, let alone P5 competition.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I must not have looked at those stats again after Sims got some more playing time against Maryland.  Before that he was higher than Thompson.

But, again, that's really only because Thompson threw for 280 yards and 5 TDs against Monmouth.  Sims was better (using that term extremely loosely) against D-1 competition, let alone P5 competition.

If you're honestly trying to convince yourself that Sims, Haarberg, and Purdy are better QBs than Thompson, you do you I guess. :dunno

• TBH 3
14 minutes ago, Toe said:

If you're honestly trying to convince yourself that Sims, Haarberg, and Purdy are better QBs than Thompson, you do you I guess. :dunno

I'm not trying to convince myself of anything.  I'm just pointing out the stats.  That would seem to be the way to determine who's doing better.

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm not trying to convince myself of anything.  I'm just pointing out the stats.  That would seem to be the way to determine who's doing better.

Maybe. It's just hard to shake the eye test impression of how Thompson played against our P5 schedule last year, and not conclude he was a better quarterback than the three guys we ran out this year.  

• TBH 4
57 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, when you only play three games and one of them is against Monmouth, it's pretty easy to get an inflated rating.

Similar to if you only play three games and one of them is on the road at Clemson with Florida Atlantic players who finished 4-8 in a crappy conference.  It can deflate a ranking.   

I think we both made the relevant point that Casey only played 2 1/2 games yet people want to use those stats to assess his ability instead of the 2021 and 2022 stats.  

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Maybe. It's just hard to shake the eye test impression of how Thompson played against our P5 schedule last year, and not conclude he was a better quarterback than the three guys we ran out this year.  

Did I miss the part where Nebraska has a WR this year that is going to be catching 50+ yard touchdown passes in NFL playoff games next year?

46 minutes ago, Mavric said:

But you're only doing it for 2023 numbers, right?

If I look at Thompson vs Sims in their entire collegiate careers prior to the 2023 season and I adjust for the competition Thompson faced, I'm taking Thompson as the better QB. I'd take him as the guy I'd want heading into game one for 2023 Nebraska.

And if I factor 2023 into the whole career, I'm still taking Thompson, personally.

• TBH 4

Just now, Undone said:

But you're only doing it for 2023 numbers, right?

If I look at Thompson vs Sims in their entire collegiate careers prior to the 2023 season and I adjust for the competition Thompson faced, I'm taking Thompson as the better QB. I'd take him as the guy I'd want heading into game one for 2023 Nebraska.

And if I factor 2023 into the whole career, I'm still taking Thompson, personally.

That's easy to say looking back.  But, heading into 2023, Thompson had shoulder surgery and was not available for Spring.  They didn't even know if he was going to be available for fall camp, if my memory is correct.  So, they went and got Sims after not being in the college game for a while and knowing anything about they players.  They took advice from someone and it didn't work out.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 4
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's easy to say looking back.  But, heading into 2023, Thompson had shoulder surgery and was not available for Spring.  They didn't even know if he was going to be available for fall camp, if my memory is correct.  So, they went and got Sims after not being in the college game for a while and knowing anything about they players.  They took advice from someone and it didn't work out.

Wasn't it just thumb surgery? And I don't recall that having a recovery time being estimated at over six months.

You're right that he wasn't able to participate in spring ball, though.

Just now, Undone said:

Wasn't it just thumb surgery? And I don't recall that having a recovery time being estimated at over six months.

You're right that he wasn't able to participate in spring ball, though.

You are correct.  I do believe it was thumb surgery.  But, I also remember questions around if he was going to be able to play in the fall.  Hadn't he already had one surgery on the thumb like a year earlier and then he reinjured it?   I thought there were questions on if he would be able to recover fully the second time.

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

and was not available for Spring.  They didn't even know if he was going to be available for fall camp, if my memory is correct. 

If memory serves correct, Casey had surgery for SLAP tear which means the training staff would have known he would be ready for fall camp.   Similar to Herbert and the Chargers who had same surgery. 

• Plus1 1