Callahan's Piss Poor Excuse for a Close Game

I am more than a little frustrated with the coaching. I have always stood behind any Husker decisions. I'm not a coach with all the pressures that go along with it. And I am not paid MILLIONS. The game plans do not bother me at least offensively. And if you are paying this much you expect the staff to be much better in some areas. These are my frustrations.

1. It seems we have played a couple games this year with the attitude to not loose or not be beaten badly. Nebraska plays to WIN! This is evedent with some of th coaches comments. Coz was affraid of the shuttle pass and has a piss poor game plan because of it. Prefent D does not work and never will.

2. Coz doesn't do well with making any adjustments. The D scheme was NOT working and he did nothing to try to remedy it. If he would have tried ANYTHING and it didn't work then I would be happier than changing nothing and letting the other team DOMINATE the line and treat Grixby like a little girl. (Which will happen more this year after that dismal performance)

3. I believe the coaching staff as a whole needs to get the team up for the games, ALL GAMES. The Huskers came out flat and were not ready to play and it got worse after throwing two bombs early. Even Corey had a couple plays where he looked like he had a fever and wanted to go to bed. I actually seen him hit the QB and fall down while the QB ran off???????? He also ran all the way around the RB and never did touch him. The team looked unbelievabley flat and unmotivated. This game especially should have had the defence ready to chew of their own arms. This in my mind is a coaching issue. You just do not know who is going to show up. The BLACKSHIRTS, which we all know can play with anyone, or the blackshirts under water and frustrated. When it comes to inconsistancy concerning motivation and effort, that is coaching!

I like Callahan and he is an offensive genious. I have to question what is going on when you see a team come out flat, play way below their talent level and the D get get smashed like a hot water balloon and nothing is done to help the D at all?????????????

Sorry man I am just a little pissed and frustrated. For the first time in my life, I was saying Kansas is going to win and deserves to, during the game. That is just dam embarrasing. They did out play, put up more effort, and execute much better than Nebraska. I couldn't even drink my beer in confedence LOL LOL

Sorry again just had to get it out and sorry if I am too offensive. Had to be said!!!! Now I can go on with my day. LOL LOL

GBR

Not to take anything away from KU, they came in to Lincoln and played hard. I do however wonder if some of the focus and emotion was lost by the Huskers after they went up early. Taylor's numbers indicate he was pretty sloppy, the D looked sloppy..............heck everything looked pretty sloppy. Maybe they didn't loose focus, maybe KU is just that good, maybe both. Tough call but the 2 point conversion and the OT could be indications that they got re-focused or just plain lucky....................I just don't know. One would have thought that the D would have moved in for the kill in the 2nd but that just didn't happen.

Near the end of the game is a perfect example. KU runs an option to the right, we string it out perfectly, Barnman does an awful job, he pitches to Cornish who proceeds to outrun Bradley, who has the angle on him, to the corner for the first down.

Bradley was not just slow, but did not play the pitch man at all. Someone has to play the pitch man, which we forgot to do.

I noticed that too. We had 2 guys playing the QB instead of 1 guy on the QB and the other taking out the rb so he isn't in the equation. Then that forces the qb to keep the ball which makes him easier to tackle because he is the only focal point. Guys can swarm to the ball.

But as far as athletes, were a ways off. Near the end of the game is a perfect example. KU runs an option to the right, we string it out perfectly, Barnman does an awful job, he pitches to Cornish who proceeds to outrun Bradley, who has the angle on him, to the corner for the first down.

I'm not so sure he had the angle. He looked like he had snuck in a bit on the inside and wasn't playing the outside like he should have on that play. Either way the result is that he got burned.

I really think there are a number of husker fans who wont be happy untill every game is 77-0.

Bad games happen. Osborne and Devaney had bad games where the team came out flat, but people dont seem to remember those. For some reason a number of fans only want to remember the '94, '95 and '97 teams. Not the '96 team that got shut out at ASU. People called for osborne's head in the past too. Commonly saying he got outcoached, and couldnt manage the big games.

I'm mixed on Cos. He did have some really good defenses up in wisconsin, the years where they won the big 10 come to mind, and some very average years. How much of that is talent effected is a good question. Also keep in mind people didnt really think McBride was a great D play caller till they got the elite talent and speed in there.

And there should be no blackshirts in practice this week. They played too poorly for them this week. Re-earn them next weekend.

• Plus1 1

"It became a dogfight," NU coach Bill Callahan said. "You'll get into those types of situations in conference competition. That's the nature of the North Division."

You screwed up, Coach - admit it. Have some cojones and take responsibility, dammit!

I am not a fan of Callahan or Cosgrove. I dont think they fit here. That's just me. The passing game (trips, spread, wco, etc) - yes we do need that here. Anyway, aside from my personal opinion of those two coaches, I do not fault them with the KU game at all. KU played more aggressive, they didnt fold or give up, and the Huskers did not execute at times. It was an inconsistent performance by the team.

Strap on the chin straps. Conference play is here!

GBR!!!

I'll blame both coach and the players. After we got up 17-0 and 24-7, coach kept throwing the ball, what happened to the run? why didn't we close out the half with 10 straight runs? Coach calling all those pass plays on 1st and 2nd downs that didnt convert allowed to clock to stop, and not run. And as many of you say, the players just didn't execute after they got up so big. If we are running the WCO offense then lets run in, if coach wants to establish the run then keep running, then do what you say damn....none of the games have really had a consistent play calling scheme.