Is our O-line still bad?

Watching bowl games has been different this year than in the past. I really seemed to hurt as i watched other teams, and started to realize where our team really is. One thing that people have mentioned is that our O-line is getting better, and I will admit that its "better" but they are nowhere near what the big time programs have. I first noticed this when i was watching other teams RB's hit holes at full speed, allowing them to break big runs, and try to make DB's miss.

I don't think i have ever seen a current NU RB hit a hole at full speed, maybe glenn when he was healthy but it was full speed into a couple defenders for an extra 4 yards. I think the root of this is our OLine, they seem almost too slow, and basically "neutralize" the D-line when they hit them, rather than push them around.

So my questions are, is our o-line really that bad, is it our schemes, our conditioning....raw talent? or am I blaming the wrong group of guys? Did we focus too much on pass blocking and not enough on run blocking?

I definately dont think we concentrated to much on pass blocking because the running game has been the emphasis the whole year. I have wondered the same thing however. If I had to pick a reason I would have to say that some of our linemen our too big. I dont think its the schemes, but Slauson is 330 and nicks is too. I am just basing this off the Broncos line. They average like 290 and they are all fast, strong and quick. Which makes sense for a zone blocking scheme if they are going to have to be quick enough to seal the defender. I am not really sure I guess, that would be my opinion though.

you could argue its a transition thing but you often see teams with players just as young as ours that seem to do a better job. But i do think it will eventually come around, I'm just curious if there are any changes that need to be made to invoke a better/quicker/smoother transition.

I think huskers1 might be on the right track with the oversized thing, i was thinking along those same lines. bigger isn't always better.

I don't think so because we were pretty much running on them at will in the first half. They made half time adjustments and we didn't adjust to their adjustments. Pretty simple.

I also agree with the above post. I think (but I am not an HC or even close) that AU pulled their LBs off the line of scrimmage at half time. This allowed their speed to out quick our linemen before the lineman could reach the LBs. If you look at the Denver Broncos, they do not go for overly large linemen at all.

I think thay are much improved since the beginning of the season, but have a ways to go. The additions of DJ Jones, Roark, and Barrett will help (good and solid depth). Who knows, Burkes and Marcel Jones might be in the mix quickly. While I don't think they will be overall dominant next year, I do think they will be more consistant, have much more solid depth, be more confident assignments, and they will still be young. I do not think they will be physically weaker or smaller than any team we play next year. I am predicting a GREAT improvement in the O next year, starting with the line.

Are they better than they were in 05? I would have to say they are a lot better. ZT didn't spend as much time getting knocked on his can every time he dropped back. This can be credited to the improved running game. I don't think they are where they need to be, but with some of the new guys coming in and that redshirted this year, i think they will be back to dominance.

you could argue its a transition thing but you often see teams with players just as young as ours that seem to do a better job. But i do think it will eventually come around, I'm just curious if there are any changes that need to be made to invoke a better/quicker/smoother transition.

I think huskers1 might be on the right track with the oversized thing, i was thinking along those same lines. bigger isn't always better.

Yah man, he may be onto something. Technique is paramount too. My transition point was thinking about the future lineman we will see coming in hear for years to come. I love the ol' cornfed guys back in the day, but the game we play has changed. Need guys stepping on campus already familiar with pass blocking that can be taught how to polish those skills. So yah, first step, quickness, and technique is what the demand is.

I believe that the O-line is improved over last season.... ZT didn't get knocked around as much this season... Remember, most of these guys are still YOUNG.... we don't lose anyone who played consistently this year...... Mann was ill and Austin was hurt and at best 80% any other time.... We have guys who will eventually be 3 year starters by the time they are done...... They will continue to improve on technique and will ultimately get stronger and a little better footwork (which will act as improved quickness)

I think we need to adjust a little bit on our blocking schemes. Like others have said, we have a lot of big body guys up front that lack quickness and speed. Since our blocking schemes tend to call for a lot of pulling guards and tackles, maybe it would be wise to adjust the blocking schemes, or get some quicker lineman in here.

So i take the general consensus is..... we aren't bad, we aren't good, and chances are in a year or two we could be "good" because we are a young group.

The way our offense operates, it seems a lot of zone blocking and quicker linemen would make more sense. Obviously we are going to work with what we got, but just seeing how other teams have holes made by the time their backs get there and are at full speed.

We never get that, we get BJax busting a tackle or two at the line and maybe springing one. or Lucky getting behind a blocker to the outside and following him 10 yards. Both effective in their own right, but I want to see Lucky hitting holes at full speed. At times we did have holes this year, even the cotton bowl but just wasn't consistent...

They always say a great line will make a bad back look good..... think about some of our talent running behind a great line.