DaveH

Published Friday

January 5, 2007

Kicker shelves career, for now

BY RICH KAIPUST

14jlcongdon.jpg

black.gif

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - The field goal Jordan Congdon didn't get to try in the Cotton Bowl took a backseat to much more serious business Thursday as the kicker withdrew from his spring-semester classes at Nebraska.

Husker kicker Jordan Congdon was named a freshman All-American last year. This season he hit 5 of 7 field goals. Congdon plans to donate part of his liver to an uncle in San Diego, a procedure that temporarily will sidetrack his football career. The sophomore intends to return to NU when his recovery allows.

"It was his choice, but he knew his uncle was sick," said Evan Arapostathis, one of his San Diego-based kicking coaches. "They went through the whole family for matches, and Jordan is the match. He knew in his mind if there were no others, he would step forward.

"He's torn right now because he wants to be there with his teammates, but he knows it's God-family-football for him, in that order."

Arapostathis said the transplant is scheduled for later this month. Congdon will attend Mesa College in San Diego during the spring semester.

His own recovery is expected to take six months to a year. That would leave Congdon's status for next season unclear.

"It tells the kind of kid Jordan is that he believes he's got to do this," said Arapostathis, also a longtime family friend.

Arapostathis said the family didn't wish to share information regarding the uncle, who is the brother of Congdon's mother, Gayla. Jordan Congdon declined an interview Thursday night.

Congdon, 20, made the decision several weeks ago. After a piece of his liver is removed, the organ is expected to rejuvenate itself but also would limit his physical activity during the healing.

Nebraska coach Bill Callahan caused a stir Monday when he chose not to attempt a 47-yard field goal with the Huskers trailing Auburn 17-14. A fourth- and-11 play then failed with 1:45 remaining.

Congdon made 5 of 7 field goals in 14 games, one season after he was 19 of 23 as a freshman All-American. He kicked a last-minute game-winner against Kansas State that clinched a bowl berth for the Huskers and gave them momentum for season-ending wins over Colorado and Michigan.

He hopes to get another with the Huskers, even though he effectively took himself off scholarship Thursday.

"Why he withdrew was he doesn't want to take up a scholarship, in case he doesn't recover and then have to have the university make a decision that jeopardizes the team," Arapostathis said. "He said, 'Let me withdraw, get my AA (at Mesa), and if they want me back that's what I'll do.' "

Congdon's backup this season was walk-on Jake Wesch. NU next month is expected to sign Adi Kunalic of Fort Worth, Texas, and Kunalic would join the Huskers as a scholarship kicker in August.

Spain leaves

Tyrell Spain has left the Nebraska football program after playing one season with the Huskers.

Spain appeared in nine games, mostly on special teams, and was credited with one tackle. The junior played receiver in spring practice before moving to cornerback before the season.

Spain did not travel with the team to the Cotton Bowl. The native of San Diego could not be reached for comment Thursday.

All-star plans

Nebraska linebacker Stewart Bradley is set to join teammates Zac Taylor and Matt Herian at the East-West Shrine Game in Houston. Former NFL head coach Dan Reeves will lead the West team for the Jan. 20 game at Reliant Stadium.

Bradley was the Huskers' leading tackler as a senior, finishing with 76. The 6-4, 250- pounder from Salt Lake City also had four fumble recoveries and three forced fumbles, including one of each in the Cotton Bowl.

NU defensive ends Adam Carriker and Jay Moore are committed to the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., on Jan. 27.

Contact the Omaha World-Herald newsroom

Copyright ©2007 Omaha World-Herald®. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, displayed or distributed for any purpose without permission from the Omaha World-Herald.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&amp...p;u_rnd=6992258

I had no idea this issue had presented itself. This kid has a huge heart. I wish nothing but the best for him and his family. I wonder if coach Callahan took this into consideration as far as putting pressure on this kid (with kicks). After all this type of surgery, or any for that matter, is all about the right frame of mind and being possitive. The healing process is so much better with the mind being in the right place. I'm sure he will be in more than a few prayers.

:thumbs