How long is too long

Link to Yahoo Article

In the above article, it points out that money to hire coaches who can win in two years is the new touchstone for successful collegiate coaches. They cite Stoops, Carrol, Tressle, Saban and now Zook as two year wonders.

I am not sure where the Husker program is headed but, perhaps naievly, I always thought that the year in and year out dominance, even without the MNCs, was due in large part to stability in the coaching staff. How long will Pederson give BC? How long can he givehim before his own head is chopped?

What does anyone think about this new: Win in Two or Leave" trend. It's gotten so bad it seems that Saban, who won it for LSU, is now jumping ship to The Tide. LSU apparently couldn't keep him for the money.

Are the days of the dynasty over? Can true dominance last, or ever even be developed again, in the current atmosphere of quick change coaching. We've witnesses that it take a few years to change stride in collegiate sports. Where do we see this trend going at UNL?

Whatever happens, my blood will always be Husker Red, but I am uneasy about a return to the dominance of old.

:bonez

I am starting to see a trend in NCAA football. More coaches are starting to following the money and salaries are spinning out of control. A sucessful program begins to wonder if they will keep their coach from year to year. Further more....the salaries. Who pays these in the end? The fans. It's getting more difficult to afford going to ANY game (COLLEGE OR PRO) these days unless you make 6 figures. I have asked myself if we will ever see a point where fans say enough, this is just too expensive. The answer...I don't think so. I think we will see the day though when going to game is for wealthy only. Yes, I got a bit off topic but it is tied into the short term coaching trends we are starting to see emerge. Alabama's win or your out and we will pay whatever it takes for the next best coach is a great example. How much is Nick making now?

Don't know if you meant that as rhetorical or not, but I believe it is 32Mil over 8 years. But you are right. It is about 'putting butts in seats now'. Goal....to win a Nat. Championship....hmmmm....maybe. But they want $$$ generated at home. How? Get a firey coach that can get players and make the games exciting and win them. That keeps a stadium sold out.

And some people make a big deal about the $$$ a team gets for a bowl game. What is it, each team gets a Mil or two at the upper tier bowls. Break down the numbers for a home stadium of say 75,000 seats.

$40/seat (this is conservatively WAY low) x 75,000 = 3,000,000

Of those 75,000 figure concessions (I'll say avearage one beverage and one hot dog per person - some eat multiple, some don't have any)

Pop & Dog $8 x 75,000 = 600,000

Programs (estimate between 5-10K per game)

$5/program x 10,000 = 50,000

So just in that you have 3,650,000. Then 5,6,7 home games per year? You are over 20 Mil. Add to that booth money, advertising revenue, shoe/clothing contracts, and of course licensed souveniers and clothing and you are looking at what...40, 50 Mil a year?.

Sustain a top program for a few years and that $32 million contract seems like a pretty good investment. If the new guys doesn't get it done. They fire him...bring in a new, young, firey coach, and the fans fill the seats again to see if THIS guy can lead them on.

Right now, Callahan isn't a hot commodity. However, I believe he still has two years left on his contract. If and I realize that's a big if at this point in time Callahan turns this thing around and has us in the top 10 within the next two years, your question should be how much are we gonna have to pay him to stay? I for one don't think NU has the capacity to pay a head coach 3 to 5 million a year. If Callahan has us near the top in the next two years, do you really think he's gonna stay for a million or less?

Consistency does breed championships. Many schools are having troubles right now with this area besides NU. Look at Oklahoma. They seem to lose a coordinator or two all the time. Look at KState when Snyder was coach. There are head coaches out there that coached under Snyder. With Blake departing, I think NU will see the same thing happen. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before Norvell (sp) takes a head coaching job elsewhere.

One of the problems with running a pro style offense is that it takes a pro style head coach. Once that coach has some success, look out because there will always be an opening for him in the NFL. I'm not sure that Pud really has to get rid of BC because if BC gets things rolling a little better in the next two years I don't know whether Pud can come up with enough money or not.

Like it or not, NU became just like the Alabama's, LSU's, etc. when they fired the 2006 MAC Coach of the year 3 years ago. Now, we're gonna have to suffer the consequences. I'm not saying BC will demand 5 million a year to stay, but it's very possible he'll want at least 3.

Coach Callahan has 3 years left of his 6 year contract. I believe year 4 is the crossroads.

Saban is the Larry Brown of football and let Wayne Huizenga smooze him out of a great situation at LSU to take the job with the Dolphins. Maybe it was a combo of ego stroking and over $4 million a year that got him to leave LSU but with two mediocre years at the Dophins at 15-17 he realized the pros weren't for him. He'll have Alabama in the title picture within a few years especially with Kevin Steele as his D Coordinator and top recruiter.

Urban Meyer was able to cherry pick between Florida and Notre Dame and went where he knew he had the better athletes. He certainly has a dynasty in the making.

I could see Callahn sticking around a few more years. He is getting older. you would think that in the later years of his caching career he would want some stability for his family. I don't know if Lincoln would be that place, but let's face it. Nebraska>Al Davis. The younger coaches like Saban, and oh yes here it comes...

Pelini are young and hungry. Those guys won't settle forever.

At some point these guy's got to think, or so I would think "I already have 200000 bizillion dollars!!"

Is it worth packing up and moving for an extra million? Of course I've never been offered that kind of money, and have no idea what that would be like. :nutz

In my opinion, coaching in college football is doomed and loyalty is dead. It left with Frank Solich and Tom Osborne and will never find it's way out because the NCAA is nothing more than what every other company in the US is, a power hungry corporation that wants nothing but money, and the coaches are their little pawns...

That is the world we live in guywithstuffforaname. Money drives everything. If you think/thought/hope that it doesn't then you must have been frozen in the '50's and just now thawed out. Right or wrong that is the name of the game. The game is capitalism and if your not playing you get left in the dust. Don't be fooled and think college is somehow special and is a sacred institution blah blah.

How long should he be given for a coach to succeed? You have to give a guy 5 years, end of story. That coach needs to have his 5th year seniors in place before you can say one way or another. If the golden domers had given Willingham his 5 years they would have saved a lot of money and still have been doing as well as ol' "front butt" is (I got that name from someone here that is hilarious).

If you fire a coach before 5 years that would be because they have operating their system who they would have picked up if they were the head coach at the time (use in the case of an assistant being promoted and he recruited a lot of the original guys).

BC has the program moving in the right direction. If you look at his first 3 years he has improved each year in the win column (I know he hasn't matched a 10-3 season but it wasn't BC's fault Frank the tank was fired. It wasn't like he came to SP and said fire this guy 'cause I can do better.).

Another sign that it is moving in the right direction is the money that is coming in. More now than in Frank the tank's day.

And remember it is all about the almighty dollar whether you like it or not.

That is the world we live in guywithstuffforaname. Money drives everything. If you think/thought/hope that it doesn't then you must have been frozen in the '50's and just now thawed out. Right or wrong that is the name of the game. The game is capitalism and if your not playing you get left in the dust. Don't be fooled and think college is somehow special and is a sacred institution blah blah.

How long should he be given for a coach to succeed? You have to give a guy 5 years, end of story. That coach needs to have his 5th year seniors in place before you can say one way or another. If the golden domers had given Willingham his 5 years they would have saved a lot of money and still have been doing as well as ol' "front butt" is (I got that name from someone here that is hilarious).

If you fire a coach before 5 years that would be because they have operating their system who they would have picked up if they were the head coach at the time (use in the case of an assistant being promoted and he recruited a lot of the original guys).

BC has the program moving in the right direction. If you look at his first 3 years he has improved each year in the win column (I know he hasn't matched a 10-3 season but it wasn't BC's fault Frank the tank was fired. It wasn't like he came to SP and said fire this guy 'cause I can do better.).

Another sign that it is moving in the right direction is the money that is coming in. More now than in Frank the tank's day.

And remember it is all about the almighty dollar whether you like it or not.

Mahoney, I agree with everything you are saying there. And even though I wasn't around in the'50s, I am well aware that it's been that way since the day (which was a wednesday, incase you didn't know). What I was simply tyring to point out is the lack of loyalty that has doomed college coaching. Gone is the day when we could have a coach, a la Osborne, come in and coach for 25 plus years, there are very few left (JoePa, Bowden....are there anymore?) I just find it rediculous that coaches sit at a press conference before they start coaching at a school and talk about how they can't wait to get their fingers dirty in this program and see what they can do and how they are so happy to be part of the rich tradition that is blah blah blah....then two years later, straight up leave because a more lucrative contract comes along. I understand that it's capitalism, I understand that it's for more money and they are looking out for the well-being of themselves and their family, but to me, the whole world of college coaching has turned fake and plastic and the only thing it's about now is whose hot at the moment, because if you're hot, you are all of a sudden able to come in and coach a team to a championship.

Now, after saying all that, I'm glad that Callahan is still here and I do see good things for the future, but I also see Callahan leaving a year after he brings us into the national spotlight just as fast as any of these other coaches, and why? Because, going back to my intial point, loyalty is dead....period.

All cited took over successful recruiting programs.

Most felt Oklahoma, Ohio State, Florida had the guns to win with. SC and LSU were different. They were built, but have tremedous recruiting draw.

Two years if the deck is loaded maybe realistic. When the deck has different cards it is a different situation.

We have our coach for another 3 years I am sure. He is getting the deck in shape.

Some for some reason expect to return to the mid 90's. IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. IF SC CAN NOT DO IT HOW DO YOU THINK NEBRASKA CAN!!!!!

SC, LSU, Florida all have many things going for them. We have history and tradition. Just in case some of you have not noticed the kids are all about the money, just like the coaches. We have a hard sell, in honesty not a single one could care less about a sea of red, most sellouts in a row, more academic all americans, bowl wins in row, best weight room or what ever we think is important. It means nothing at the time of decision.

How quick can I get to the pros and who will give me the best skill set. That is all that is important.

When we understand that, then we will see the situation BC faces on a daily basis. He has a tough job and is doing far and away better than any before him. Give him the time to do what he needs to do to succeed.