No more excuses

Time for this staff to get it done. No 5 loss seasons anymore. They have brought in 2 solid recruiting classes in a row and now its time to play some football. No more excuses saying "they are making progress" or anything like that. It will be the 4th year of Callahan, and unless we see improvement this year, then we know for sure that this current coaching staff isn't very good. They need to adjust, and don't make stupid ass calls. Also don't be so predictable. The sloppy 2nd halves are unexcusable anymore. Who agrees with me here?

I want them to win the Big 12 title, or if they don't, play in the title game, and then go on to win their bowl game. I want to see them beat a top 10 or top 15 team this year also. So I want an 11-3 season, 10-4 maybe but really they need to do better.

I agree with no more "sloppy" second halves of games.....play calling is "subjective" for the most part, depending on the philosophy and result of the plays...... yardage = good call , etc....

It is beginning to approach the time in which the program needs to keep moving forward...... all of the experts (???) seem to think that a coach and staff really need 5 years or better to recruit and to fully implement their system for anyone to get a "true" picture of how successful a program will be....

Don't give me the Urban Meyer crap, because the talent he walked into a Florida is not even comparible to NU......

For the most part, I agree with your assessments.....I don't think that it should be the "judgement" year though....progress yes....this schedule is "killer", so may not be a great year to label it a "hot-seat" year.

I think there was progress from year 1 to year 2(hard for there not to be). There was huge progress from year 2 to year 3. I think year 4 is when a lot of things will fall into place and just kind of click. I think this will be a huge season. I am going to predict it right now. 12-2, Big 12 champs and a BCS bowl game.

well, BRI, until I SEE the coaches make those adjustments, my predicts are about as realistic as you can get. playing a bunch of bowl teams from last year and a basically new front 4, plus a bunch of guys that are still learning to play as DBs? i would be thrilled to see a 12-2 year, just don't believe in unrealistic expectations at this point. do i support them and hope for the best? sure, of course i do. but realistically we have a long way to go.

All I want to see is some intensity and fire in the second half. All but 1 on our losses came from sloppy second half play. You can blame coaches all you want for play calling but their not out on the field running or passing the ball around. Our players didnt have any passion in the second half. Coaches cant create that. It's all in the players. Callahan said it best when he said our players didnt want to be champions this year.

Demand demand demand.

Now look at reality. We have had one semi decent recruiting class. Nothing comparable to the top programs period. We are not getting the play makers. We are getting what others do not want. Until we step up and get a good class and keep all of them, we are going to have problems.

The first year most likely would rank about 30 now with all that have left or will not play.

Some expect too much, demand too much or just do not understand what it takes to win in todays football. I think we have the right guy leading this program, but I do not think he nor anyone else will return Nebraska to what some of you expect/demand. Time to find another program to follow I think.

We will rise to being a top ten program, we will never see the mid 90's again. When you understand that then you may have a realistic idea of where this program is headed and what it will take to get it there. It ain't done yet.

The big problem will not be replacing the guys that graduated, the big problem will be that we are NOT replacing the guy making the personnel and game plan decisions. Look, until I see Coz do something right in terms of a defensive scheme, I won’t get my hopes up. And before anybody starts the “he didn’t have the talent” crap, just think about how many games when that bunch of “talent-less” players looked good in the first half and fell apart in the second. Or gave up big chunks of yardage and seemed helpless to do anything to stop it. How could they have the talent to play well for half a game, and then suddenly look like crap in the second half (or just before the half ran out)? I think Coz is a bad coordinator. I don’t think it matters who starts at safety, or corner, or linebacker, or d-line. I think we are screwed until we get a defensive guy who doesn’t get out-coached by everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, we play.

I thought we were done with this crap of blaming Coz for ALL of the losses we had. I'm glad he's still here. Say what you want, but the offense didn't help out the defense in the second half of ANY game. The TEAM needs to get better in the second half. More intensity and execution from both sides of the ball.

Saying Coz got out coached in EVERY game is ridiculous. Did you even watch the bowl game or Big XII championship. We out played both teams just didn't execute when we had to. The defense kept us in both games as long as possible and BC gave those kids every chance to win.

I thought we were done with this crap of blaming Coz for ALL of the losses we had. I'm glad he's still here. Say what you want, but the offense didn't help out the defense in the second half of ANY game. The TEAM needs to get better in the second half. More intensity and execution from both sides of the ball.

Saying Coz got out coached in EVERY game is ridiculous. Did you even watch the bowl game or Big XII championship. We out played both teams just didn't execute when we had to. The defense kept us in both games as long as possible and BC gave those kids every chance to win.

Yeah, I love how people want to trot out the “great” performance of the D in the game against OU and Auburn. Sure the defense looked good (well, sort of) against a team with a wide receiver at QB and a team that didn’t score on anybody. But how did it look against teams with SOME real offensive threats? You know, like USC (28 points), Kansas (32 points), Oklahoma State (41 points), Texas A&M (27 points), not to mention getting shredded by the aforementioned wide receiver/QB for a 99 yard-mostly passing drive that ended that game for us. Won some of those and lost some, but the bottom line was that the defense never really stepped it up in the second half of any of those games and that is way too many games in which our defense fell apart late.

It doesn’t matter what anybody says, the talent looks good, the recruiting has been good, but the defensive coaching has been consistently bad. And until that changes, I won’t get my hopes up for a great season. The original question was what our prospects look like for next season. Well, if we continue with recent trends here is how it will go: We win all of the games against patsies. We lose to Texas, USC, maybe even Wake and Texas A&M. If we still some way make the Big XII title game, we lose that too. Then, if we play a top 10-15 opponent in a bowl game we lose that as well. So 10-4 would be a conservatively optimistic prediction. I hate to even think that way, but noting has happened in the last three years that has given me anything better to hope for.