They say hindsight is 20/20

Was firing Frank Solich the right move or the wrong move?  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

solich was terrible, no doubt. but cally has shown (for whatever reason) a definitive weakness in his ability to playcall/coach beyond the 1st half. i still can't figure out his strategy for making adjustments, it is just frustrating to watch him struggle, he looks so lost.

This may be an example of how the most recent events colour our judgment. If I'm recalling correctly, in 2005 it was the opposite - the team routinely fell behind in the first half, made great adjustments in the second, and would come back. While that didn't happen each game, I seem to recall it happening enough that the gripe was that the scripted plays should go.

This year? The opposite - everyone is saying the scripted plays work great, but that the coaches can't make adjustments.

Given that, I tend to believe it isn't quite the picture most paint when they complain that Callahan can't play call or adjust...

Is it 2003 still? Perhaps we want to dredge up the Bush vs. Gore Florida voting debacle while you are at it. The Roe v. Wade decision is still kinda fresh, let's talk about that. How about Brown v. The Board of Education. THESE ARE ALL CURRENT EVENTS, RIGHT???? This crap is pathetic.

solich was terrible, no doubt. but cally has shown (for whatever reason) a definitive weakness in his ability to playcall/coach beyond the 1st half. i still can't figure out his strategy for making adjustments, it is just frustrating to watch him struggle, he looks so lost.

This may be an example of how the most recent events colour our judgment. If I'm recalling correctly, in 2005 it was the opposite - the team routinely fell behind in the first half, made great adjustments in the second, and would come back. While that didn't happen each game, I seem to recall it happening enough that the gripe was that the scripted plays should go.

This year? The opposite - everyone is saying the scripted plays work great, but that the coaches can't make adjustments.

Given that, I tend to believe it isn't quite the picture most paint when they complain that Callahan can't play call or adjust...

You are correct about 2005. We had tremendous comebacks against OU and TT, but came up short. This year we came flying out of the gate most games and then coasted sometimes getting beat. To me its not a matter of BC's scripting of plays or his adjustments. It is his consistency. Punt returns are another example. In 04 we were horrendous, 05 we were pretty damn good, I would guess top 20 in the country, this year, we were bad again. Games like TT in 04 where he just insisted on throwing the ball despite being down by 30, 40, and 50 points and then games like USC where he insisted on running the ball, even though we were averaging around 2 ypc make me question his consistency. Even a game like OSU this year where Bjax had around 150 yards at half and we had a lead, then he comes out the second half slinging the ball around resulting in few yards being gained, prolonging the game due to clock stoppages and tiring out the D w/ the O's lack of TOP. Sometimes he shows signs of brillance (Michigan) and sometimes he shows foolishness (Auburn).

Is it 2003 still? Perhaps we want to dredge up the Bush vs. Gore Florida voting debacle while you are at it. The Roe v. Wade decision is still kinda fresh, let's talk about that. How about Brown v. The Board of Education. THESE ARE ALL CURRENT EVENTS, RIGHT???? This crap is pathetic.

Roe v. Wade is still kinda fresh because some states are trying to overturn it and make it illegal. And isn't it a coincidence that Florida had mysterious voting problems w/ their machines. Doesn't GW have a brother there who is governor? Coincidence????????????

are we still bitter about the outcome of the Bush/Gore race of 2000. That happened just yesterday also, didnt it?

Was it a bad thing that Solick was fired? who gives a f#*k? it is over with, he is gone. get over it.

With Solush, we could be staring at the assend of a 5 game loosing streak to the likes of sCUm, KSUcks, and the GAYhawks.

With Gore I am sure that there would be a 25 cent charge placed on each email, pm, message board post since he was the one that invented the internet.

Was firing Frank Solich the right move or the wrong move?

Firing Solich was the right move

Firing Solich was the wrong move

Am I the only one that is tired of this debate?

We should have a different poll that answers this question: "Are you tired of debating whether the Frank Solich firing was a good decision?"

Let's move on - for Pete's sake! These are the type of threads that permeate this board when there is no football. Aaaaaargh! Please speed up the calendar so that we have more interesting topics.

dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarse

:yeah

I feel like I am in the twilight zone!!! He was a horrible coach who just couldn't get it figured out...IMO. I am happy with BC....I just hope he can get the second half jitters out and play a complete game.

It is an old topic but it's still seems to be in the back of a lot of Husker fans minds. Probably should be left there. This will be the last time for me on this topic.

I liked Solich when he played, was an asst coach and head coach. I still like him today. I, like every other Husker fan wanted him to succeed as head coach. Watching him coach a game it looked like he was some times unsure of himself. During the Colorado game was when we were headed to the Rose Bowl is when I think the thought came to me that he might be in over his head. They hit us with the same plays over and over and he didn't step up and get in Boles face and make him change up the defense. That game not the Miami game started his demise as coach. His personal problems only added to it. He never looked confident again on the side lines to me and that pass play on the punt against [Miss St or so Miss I forget] in the bowl game showed me that he had lost control of the team when he was running down the side lines yelling who called that play. He will always be a Husker and I will always be grateful for all he gave to the program. As hard as it is to say it was time for him to go. I just wish it could have been handled differently. That was a sad day in Husker land for me.

GBR!!!

My head hurts...of course he should have been fired. We would be bottom three in the big 12 if we still ran the option!!!

Option wasn't the problem. Not enough horses in the stable and the guy calling the plays needed to be a little more inventive.

Am I the only one that is tired of this debate?

No.

Maybe we should run every topic by you to make sure it measures up in your interest meter?

I saw the phrase "offensive genious" thrown around here when referring to Callahan. I hope that that "genious" can some how figure out how to put up more that a couple of touchdowns a game against good teams otherwise he will never beat a ranked team.

I regards to Solich v. Callahan you have to look at what each one was able to do. FS took a team to the championship game in his 4th season as HC, most of the players being his recruits. He took a team that had been to 1 bowl game in it's history and won 6 games combined in the 4 years prior to him at Ohio, and he led them to 9 wins and a bowl in his second season. He has won about 70% of his games. There should be 3 more of his NU recruits from this year's NU team playing in the NFL.

Callahan has won about 50% of his games, led NU to its first losing season in 40 years and has only finished in the top 25 once in 3 years. His offense in his 3rd year finally looked good against bad teams and below-average against decent/good teams. His adjustments are Solich-like. He is supposedly a good recruiter but his 2005 class is falling apart. He seems to be a poor evaluator of talent, as he struck out on the easiest position to evalute in PK Congdon. He still has alot to prove.

If you look at coaching resumes, Solich has by far the better resume. If Callahan were that great of a coach the NFL would have come calling in the past couple of years.

That being said, Frank didn't get the job done and Bill has yet to either. Time will tell.