Witt responds well!!

Article is mostly about the Blackshirts, but there is a nice little blurb about Witt.......

NU's defensive changes, if any, won’t be on display

BY BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, Mar 27, 2007 - 12:30:44 am CDT

Nebraska defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove said Monday he’s looking at some defensive changes this spring.

But don’t expect to see anything drastic come the April 14 Spring Game.

The annual intrasquad game isn’t exactly a time to reveal secrets. Neither is a post-practice session with reporters.

Asked if he’d like to expound on potential changes, Cosgrove smiled and said, “No, not really.”

Of course, spring is a time to tweak and experiment. Exactly how much tweaking and experimenting Nebraska is doing on defense is unclear.

“You never want to stay the same,” Cosgrove said. “You always try to improve yourself, improve your schemes. Anything we can add to the scheme we have right now, if we have the ability mentally to pick up all that stuff, we’re going to try to do it.”

Cosgrove, noting improved depth in the secondary, did allude to some different coverages.

Article is mostly about the Blackshirts, but there is a nice blurb about Witt.......

http://journalstar.com/articles/2007/03/27...06923034885.txt

“Just some changeups to help our back end a little bit,” he said. “I like what I see so far on our back end.”

Linebacker Corey McKeon said coaches are “trying to mix it up” so the defense isn’t as predictable.

“Different personnel groupings, different guys on the field playing different spots, stuff like that,” McKeon said. “Try to confuse them a little bit. Same old stuff, just different guys doing different things, trying to keep people off-balance.”

--WITT RESPONDS: Quarterback talk this spring has centered mostly on Sam Keller. But offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Shawn Watson said Monday that Patrick Witt, an incoming freshman who’s here this spring, has also responded well to coaches’ challenges. “We weren’t friendly to Pat,” Watson said. “We said, ‘Pat, let’s see what you can pick up.’ We pushed him and that learning curve. We threw everything at him, and I tell you what, he’s rock-solid. He is going to be a really good football player before it’s all said and done.”

-- PRACTICE REPORT: Nebraska practiced indoors Monday for the fourth time this spring. Watson said coaches installed red-zone plays. “We threw everything at the offense, hoping to push the learning curve,” Watson said. “We wanted to see what the players were able to retain. It creates a mental competitiveness for every position.”

-- ETC.: Elite 11 Quarterback Camp coach Bob Johnson attended Monday’s practice. ... Watson said Nebraska has had no injuries ... Nebraska did not scrimmage Monday but could have a controlled scrimmage Wednesday.

I think he bypasses Ganz, so I do not see a redshirt for him. If he is as good as told, he will not be here through graduation anyway. We need solid back up for Keller, and I think he is it. We have been very fortunate with Zac not being injured. This year the competition will be tougher, more chances for injury.

Ummm, I dont even know what to say to that. I hope that was a joke, a freshman comes in here and does a good job at knowing the playbook, for an incoming freshman, and all the sudden he is beating out a guy that is supposedly pushing Keller for the starting job? I think Shawn Sullivan is going to beat out Andre Jones for the top backup spot behind Bowman.

I just do not think he will redshirt.

I don't think Keller will be here though the year.

I have yet to see Ganz push anyone, other than coach speak.

I think he is the real deal, and talent will win out.

I would like to think we have the talent to redshirt him, but for now I don't.

I just do not think he will redshirt.

I don't think Keller will be here though the year.

I have yet to see Ganz push anyone, other than coach speak.

I think he is the real deal, and talent will win out.

I would like to think we have the talent to redshirt him, but for now I don't.

we have three good qbs above Witt- Keller, Lee, and Ganz. Though I think he doesn't need it he will red shirt because of depth

I think he bypasses Ganz, so I do not see a redshirt for him. If he is as good as told, he will not be here through graduation anyway. We need solid back up for Keller, and I think he is it. We have been very fortunate with Zac not being injured. This year the competition will be tougher, more chances for injury.

Way to early to say if he will be better than Ganz. I think Ganz is a better QB than most give him credit for. Do, I have something to back that opinion up?.....nope.

The truth is Ganz is the only QB on the roster who has taken a snap with this offense. Ganz had some mop up duty in a few games last year, and apeared to play rather well, 3 TDs no INTs.

That said, as long as Keller gets the offense down he is the starter, he has more tools than Ganz, and I see him as our guy this year. Of course this assumes no injuries, in which case all bets are off, though in the case of keller out hurt, Ganz is proble the go-to guy.

Lee isnt particing at full speed yet from his knee injury at the end of last season, and I dont see a true frosh ever being the man at QB here as long as Callahan is the coach. For the best intrests of the program, I hope Keller matches the hype, Ganz is a solid backup and Lee and Witt redshirt this year and battle next year to the guy of the futrue.