Recruiting an how it translates to the field

That is why BC is so important. He has coached in the Super Bowl, he is a fantastic recruiter, the kids seem to like him. I really do not think we could have gotten a better recruiting coach than BC. I really had no idea of how dedicated he was to it. But it was what Peterson was looking, a full time recuiter.

But like Hunter says, we need to be in the top ten every single year to be able to play even with the big boys now. So much has changed in the past ten years, most of these kids only see college as a way to the big bucks, few are there for the education. State loyalty was one of the things TO lived off of. Walk ons lining up to build mass for the trenches and playing their final year on the pipeline. Now those same kids are going to smaller places on scholarship for the opportunity to play right away.

I think BC will turn this sucker around, because he understands how important recruiting is. He still has things to learn about the college game no question and I think he still has things to learn about Nebraska fans, but if he gets it right, he will be a god among coaches just like Carrol at SC. I think he can do it, and I hope all are pulling for him to do it.

That is why BC is so important. He has coached in the Super Bowl, he is a fantastic recruiter, the kids seem to like him. I really do not think we could have gotten a better recruiting coach than BC. I really had no idea of how dedicated he was to it. But it was what Peterson was looking, a full time recuiter.

But like Hunter says, we need to be in the top ten every single year to be able to play even with the big boys now. So much has changed in the past ten years, most of these kids only see college as a way to the big bucks, few are there for the education. State loyalty was one of the things TO lived off of. Walk ons lining up to build mass for the trenches and playing their final year on the pipeline. Now those same kids are going to smaller places on scholarship for the opportunity to play right away.

I think BC will turn this sucker around, because he understands how important recruiting is. He still has things to learn about the college game no question and I think he still has things to learn about Nebraska fans, but if he gets it right, he will be a god among coaches just like Carrol at SC. I think he can do it, and I hope all are pulling for him to do it.

great post, and i couldnt agree with you more.

BTW are you going to make it to lincoln for any of the games this year? i would like to buy you a beer someday even though you are a Marine

I don't know if the average fan at Nebraska is into doing well. Most seem to only remember the mid 90's as Nebraska football.

To do what TO did in his final years, will require recruiting like SC, Texas, Florida and few others. I seriously doubt we will be able to do that. The question then becomes can we coach what we get up to the level they need to be. We will not know that for a few years of real good recruiting, more like this years is what we need. We do not have the talent base to do it currently. I think a major win is needed to get us to that level, we are depending on BC to do that this year. A win over SC or Texas at home and the recruiting doors will open, not flood gates but an improvement over what we have seen.

I think that is going to happen this year.

I couldnt agree more! With the new facilities in place that put us back among the national elite, a head coach who has charisma for recruiting, and an offense that is ahead of the curve, all we need is a signature win to re-establish ourselves in the forefront of college football and the kids will come. All we need now is patience and it will be buisness as usual!

HuskerRob,

Unfortunately not this year. I took 10 days vacation for the kids wedding two weeks ago and I leave for Ouray, Colorado on the 10th of July, for a off roading convention. Then on to Crested Butte for some serious mountain biking, will end up being out of the office for about 30 days.

Upon return I go in for a major knee surgery. If that heals like it should, I will be at the Missouri game. My son bought season tickets just for that game. He works for the University of Missouri as an xray, CT, MRI department manager.

I would be happy to drink a beer with you, even though I don't drink that stuff. You have earned my respect for the great job you na Huskernumerouno have done. Even though you guys are in one my sister services, :rollin, just teasing guys!!!!!

If we don't make it this year the bowl game for sure!!!

And you could always pedal your ass down the mountain and watch a game here skers :lol:

GBR

It definitely is frustrating trying to build up the talent level quickly. In that regards quality depth is still the gremlin that could bite the team this year also.

Not the X's & O's But the jimmy's & Joes is still true today. The cupboards are starting to fill up with quality kids, creating some depth and anyone paying any attention to the offensive line especially can see that the kids are being coached up! Great days are ahead! :hellloooo

It is a crap shoot with some recruits. every school gets a kid they believe will be better than sliced bread and for one reason or another really never pans out. You also will get the kid that was over looked and not highly touted that has that extra intangible, work ethic and ability to learn. Yes we need the studs but we also need to get kids willing and able to learn that not only have a great work ethic but motivates those that do not.

If you get a decent class year in year out and have natural leaders in the mix and teach them the system and get them to believe in the system you have a recipie for success on the field year in year out and every once in a while everything falls into place and you play for a title.

A bad break here and there can derail a season as quick as inferior talent.

Lets get the horses, teach them and do our very best whether it is at practice or game day and the results will be there.

Every team that wins on a consistant basis does these things, we did in the past and we are getting there.

GBR

Obviously recruiting well is going to help your team and that's obvious. The problem is that we put so much weight into the ranking systems of these kids out of high school that we tend to get surprised when they don't pan out sometimes. Either they just aren't as good as we and the experts thought or they can't make grades or get into trouble. I think our classes are getting better and better and that is translating onto the field every season.

It is a crap shoot with some recruits. every school gets a kid they believe will be better than sliced bread and for one reason or another really never pans out. You also will get the kid that was over looked and not highly touted that has that extra intangible, work ethic and ability to learn. Yes we need the studs but we also need to get kids willing and able to learn that not only have a great work ethic but motivates those that do not.

If you get a decent class year in year out and have natural leaders in the mix and teach them the system and get them to believe in the system you have a recipie for success on the field year in year out and every once in a while everything falls into place and you play for a title.

A bad break here and there can derail a season as quick as inferior talent.

Lets get the horses, teach them and do our very best whether it is at practice or game day and the results will be there.

Every team that wins on a consistant basis does these things, we did in the past and we are getting there.

GBR

Amen. GBR

It's very hard to get a scientific correlation as we are only using one year, but here's the very unscientific correlation: 5 of the top 10 teams weren't in the top 25 in recruiting classes. From this very unscientific data, one could easily assume that there's a very low correlation between recruiting class rank and end of season rank. Success in college football is made up of many pieces to one big puzzle. Obviously, recruiting is one piece of the puzzle. However, great recruiting does not necessarily translate into winning many games. Player devlopment is a piece, consistency in the coaching staff is a piece, cohesiveness of the team is a piece. You can't just point at one piece and say that's what we need to be successful.

Unfortunately, we have not done a great job on other pieces of the puzzle. So far, we have lost more than our fair share of coaches. Each time we have a Beck leave or a Purify screw up, it affects the cohesiveness of the team. Player development, well the jury is still out on that one. The answers to all of these questions should be answered in the next 2 years. If we're still losing 5 games per season in 07 and 08, then I think you have to admit that recruiting has really not helped the Huskers. IMO, we will not have great success until we have a veteran QB that has been in the system for at least 2 years. Look at Texas in 06'. Yes, they had a pretty decent season. However, a freshman QB makes mistakes and is typically inconsistent. I look for Texas to be significantly better this year than last year just due to the development of their QB. In all the years NU was dominant, we had a seasoned veteran running the show. IMO, we're probably really going to have to wait until 09' to see what these coaches and team have really done.

It's very hard to get a scientific correlation as we are only using one year,

Year to year it is a low correlation, but a correlation none the less. I have the spreadsheet somewhere and there is a thread about this from the fall, but I could not find it just now. I did come across this interesting post from ETR last year:

I've heard so much this week about how much of a crapshoot the NFL Draft is. Yet all of us, including me, make a big deal about recruiting high school kids. If the NFL draft is a huge gamble, what would we call high school recruiting??

Of the first 32 players selected in the 2006 NFL draft, only 8 were considered to be top 5 at their positions coming out of high school.

Of the first 32 players selected in the 2006 NFL draft, 14 were not rated at all coming out of high school!!! -- That means NO STARS

Recruiting matters; just not enough for me to pay to read about it.