College Football's Best "New" Rivalries

College Football's Best "New" Rivalries

Ohio State-Michigan. Texas-Oklahoma. USC-Notre Dame.

These are the rivalries fans have come to expect greatness from each year through their decades of prominence. Even if neither team is in the hunt for the national championship (although both usually are), college football savants can still expect an exciting game fueled by intense emotion on both sides.

While these rivalries continue to captivate the nation every autumn, new ones also emerge from time to time. The reconfigurations of conferences like the Big East have spawned fresh rivalries like West Virginia-Louisville, new coaches like Steve Spurrier at South Carolina have breathed new life into traditional conference matchups like South Carolina-Florida, and others have become must-see college football events because of consistently tight and exciting games each year.

Rivals.com's Steve Megargee ranked his top five "new grudge matches" as follows:

Louisville vs. West Virginia

Auburn vs. LSU

Texas A&M vs. Texas Tech

Florida vs. South Carolina

Kansas State vs. Nebraska

These aren't the only hot new rivalries, however. What are your favorite "new" college football rivalries? What non-traditional rivalries are you most looking forward to in the fall?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/...-rivalries.html

Unfortunately we've been far from invincible in the North. Let's consistently sweep the board for a few more years and then we can establish ourselves.

That's what I'm saying. I hope we leave them in the dust, then if they can catch us from behind let them make it into a rivalry. None of this sinking into a rivalry between mediocre teams stuff. I'd rather just watch the Tour de France.

holy sh#t batman! KSU as a rival? are you shittin me?? that's a stretch!

Yes. KSU and NU is a strecth. More like KU and NU. The last 3 games have been heated!! :woo

OK, neither one is really a rivalry. Have I mentioned how much I dislike KSU??

holy sh#t batman! KSU as a rival? are you shittin me?? that's a stretch!

Yes. KSU and NU is a strecth. More like KU and NU. The last 3 games have been heated!! :woo

OK, neither one is really a rivalry. Have I mentioned how much I dislike KSU??

However this is what feeds into the 'rivalry' status. Look how many people's sigs are 'KSUcks' or 'Freeman Sucks', etc. If it wasn't a rivalry.....people wouldn't be so ademant about saying that. For instance Baylor...we know they suck...however nobody makes a point to tell how much they hate Baylor or want to beat the crap out of them...because they aren't a rival.

Analysts, magazines wouldn't consider it a rivalry if BOTH sides were so intent on voicing their dislike for the other one.....therefore, rivalry status.

We really don't have a rival anymore for various reasons. Colorado was once a rival, but too much Nudeheisel and Barnett have decimated CU and the rivalry. KSU was the worst team in D1 before Snyder. There really wasn't a rivalry there until the late 90's or less than a decade ago, so is this really a rivalry? OU used to be a rivalry until their probation and then the formation of the Big 12. I've always thought a rivalry was a game that even people outside the conference would watch if their team wasn't playing. I know I like to watch the Ohio State-Michigan game and USC-Notre Dame game. I even catch myself watching in state rivalries like Michigan-Michigan State and Iowa-Iowa State when Iowa State is decent. I don't think the NU-KSU game really catches much of a national audience like the CU-NU game used to. If NU could schedule a game like OU or even Texas every year, I think a we could renew an old rivalry or form a new one. Even the Big 12 Championship game has lost its luster the last few seasons.