What will it take?

HANC

I think we have to win the North for the season not to be considered a disappointment. Anything less is a step backwards. I'm not saying we have to win the Big 12 CCG, just make it to it. I can live with losses to better teams, but if we fall to (like some others have already said) Okie State or a Kansas then we have taken a step backwards

Have any of you guys actually line up the players and checked out the talent level according to Rivals.

I have not. But Texas and SC have consistently placed in the top 5 for quite a few years. Or at least averaged top 5. Low marks when they were full and could only take a few.

We have one good class, and a lot of it left for what ever reason. 18year olds do not think quite like adults at all times.

We just do not have the horses to compete with the top programs. Could we win against SC and Texas? Of course, anything can happen. But if we play respectable, don't get blown out and play to the best of our abilities, leave it all on the field, I can live with it.

It takes more than one good class to compete.

Look back again at the last 6 or 7 NC. Every single one is a recruiting power and have been for quite awhile. This is where college football is headed. Pete Carrol made the statement on the news the other nite that recruiting is a full time job, the most important job his coaches have. It is the priority for SC, the foundation for everything they do. The future.

I think BC, given the time to build this program up to being accepted by top athletes, will give us great games and NC's. But this was a major job. Do you remember how the talking heads had us going down right after Frank took over. Antiquated offense, blah blah blah. But now all are making comments that we are getting back in the hunt. They see light at the end of the tunnel. For some reason some of us can not see that, maybe youth, too impatient. WE are all Nebraska fans and love this program. Take another look at it, not just the coaching, but where the talent really is, and if you truly feel the depth to compete with top programs is really there.

Have any of you guys actually line up the players and checked out the talent level according to Rivals.

I have not. But Texas and SC have consistently placed in the top 5 for quite a few years. Or at least averaged top 5. Low marks when they were full and could only take a few.

We have one good class, and a lot of it left for what ever reason. 18year olds do not think quite like adults at all times.

We just do not have the horses to compete with the top programs. Could we win against SC and Texas? Of course, anything can happen. But if we play respectable, don't get blown out and play to the best of our abilities, leave it all on the field, I can live with it.

Look back again at the last 6 or 7 NC. Every single one is a recruiting power and have been for quite awhile. This is where college football is headed. Pete Carrol made the statement on the news the other nite that recruiting is a full time job, the most important job his coaches have. It is the priority for SC, the foundation for everything they do. The future.

I think BC, given the time to build this program up to being accepted by top athletes, will give us great games and NC's. But this was a major job. Do you remember how the talking heads had us going down right after Frank took over. Antiquated offense, blah blah blah. But now all are making comments that we are getting back in the hunt. They see light at the end of the tunnel. For some reason some of us can not see that, maybe youth, too impatient. WE are all Nebraska fans and love this program. Take another look at it, not just the coaching, but where the talent really is, and if you truly feel the depth to compete with top programs is really there.

nice post skersfan

I say:

1.Win the Big 12 North

2.Do not lose to anyone that we shouldn't lose to (CU, KU, ISU, KSU, MU, aTm, OSU, WF, BS, Nev)

3. Win a game that we are not favored to win (USC, Texas, Big 12 championship)

I would agree with that. Add a bowl win, too.

But if we don't win the big 12 I'll be disappointed, to me it won't mean this season was a bad one.

If all that is done is to continue to give excuses and reason why Nebraska cannot win a game aginst these programs all you are doing is perpetuating the myth that Nebraska can not play with the big boys. And the attitude that "The 90's are gone and are never coming back" make me want to go break something. The late 90's were excellence plain and simple. Go read the mission statement for most D-1 programs, and I bet that the word excellence is in there somehwere. They are supposed to strive for excellence, its ok for people to expect it.

SO, cards on the table? If "we" (I meant the Nebraska football team by the way) leave it all on the field but still lose 4 to 5 games, then I'm sorry but I think that really sucks. I will then write a letter to Steve Pederson and tell him that my annual donation will stop until the program represents something I can be proud of. I have memories of Nebraska shelling their opponents, winning conference and national championships, winning cleanly AND leaving it on the field. Further, my best crowd exp. at Memorial Stadium didn;t involve a home team loss, like has been said by members on this board. Again, if Callahan is such an incredible coach (and I do have faith in him by the way) then he can make this year a success. Once again, it is OK to expect a lot from people every now and again. Blind loyalty towards mediocity and underachieving is not what a good fan makes, its what spawns the lovable loser persona that I frankly want no part of.

I say:

1.Win the Big 12 North

2.Do not lose to anyone that we shouldn't lose to (CU, KU, ISU, KSU, MU, aTm, OSU, WF, BS, Nev)

i agree with this. no more meltdowns. beat the CRAP out of teams we should. :box

I say:

1.Win the Big 12 North

i agree with this. no more meltdowns. beat the CRAP out of teams we should. :box

No need for a three page dictation.........this says it all. :yeah

^ I agree with those. In fact not only are those all achievable goals, IMO those are the goals that are probably nessesary to achieve in order to keep up the pace in recruiting we are at as well as quiet the national, and most importantly the local media heading into what looks to be somewhat of a rebuilding year in '08.

If all that is done is to continue to give excuses and reason why Nebraska cannot win a game aginst these programs all you are doing is perpetuating the myth that Nebraska can not play with the big boys. And the attitude that "The 90's are gone and are never coming back" make me want to go break something. The late 90's were excellence plain and simple. Go read the mission statement for most D-1 programs, and I bet that the word excellence is in there somehwere. They are supposed to strive for excellence, its ok for people to expect it.

SO, cards on the table? If "we" (I meant the Nebraska football team by the way) leave it all on the field but still lose 4 to 5 games, then I'm sorry but I think that really sucks. I will then write a letter to Steve Pederson and tell him that my annual donation will stop until the program represents something I can be proud of. I have memories of Nebraska shelling their opponents, winning conference and national championships, winning cleanly AND leaving it on the field. Further, my best crowd exp. at Memorial Stadium didn;t involve a home team loss, like has been said by members on this board. Again, if Callahan is such an incredible coach (and I do have faith in him by the way) then he can make this year a success. Once again, it is OK to expect a lot from people every now and again. Blind loyalty towards mediocity and underachieving is not what a good fan makes, its what spawns the lovable loser persona that I frankly want no part of.

I agree. We can't make excuses of almost being there and whatnot. There can't be losing to OSU, or Mizzou anymore. There is no reason too. We have too much talent now, that our only problem should be the top teams. Any more that 2 losses in our regular 12 games would be disappointing to me. I don't care if we are playing in Columbia, and it will most likely be a night game. We should kick the sh!t out of them. Our offense is too good to be messing around and not scoring in the 2nd half. We NEED to step up this year. No more messing around.

The point is he has 3 years period. Not 4. until the end of this year.

He has dealt with a totally lost program. The direction of the program had to be turned completely around. Not only the downward spiral, but the type of athlete we recruit.

The program was 10-3 the year prior to him being hired and it finished in the top 15. I don't consider that lost.

As far as recruiting. You have never heard me say we are recruiting with the top programs, we still are not. But we are doing better than we did the last 6 years, there is no question. WE have a long ways to go to have the talent/depth that the top programs have.

So this whole "Callahan is a great recruiter" is pretty much BS? If I look at this years upcoming class, there are alot of 2 and 3 star, and alot of unrated prospects, like this DT that just committed. He is beating out the likes of Kansas and Mizzou for kids, but top schools like USC, Florida, and Texas won't even consider most of the recruits NU has. When you are running similar schemes and philosophies, you can't get away with lesser players. In the past when we were unique, we could fit some lesser thought of kids into the system and win. Seems like we are kind of ordinary.

He is beating out the likes of Kansas and Mizzou for kids, but top schools like USC, Florida, and Texas won't even consider most of the recruits NU has.

Why should they when they have hundreds of the best players in their back yard? How many top level kids come out of those states period? To any school?

We now have kids on the offensive side of the ball coming to NU that wouldn't have dreamed of coming under the previous staff. Kids like Marlon Lucky, Maurice Purify and Zac Lee. Now, you could argue that it's because the schemes in play now are different than in past years but that's really the point. The most athletic kids these days don't see a run based offense as helping them go to the next level. Back in the day, it seems there were more of these kids or Tom and Co. were just better at finding them than Frank ever was.

Nebraska has never had a bunch of "lesser" kids. For some reason, people want to think that we won national championships with a bunch of kids that grew up on farms or weren't sought after by anyone. It might make a good movie, but really it's just not true. I mean, look at all the guys in the NFL from those teams and tell me they were "lesser". There's no such thing as "lesser" in the NFL. You're either good enough, or you aren't.

That being said, that kind of thing does exist in college I think. Given the size of the roster in Franks later years, its obvious there were kids on the team that really had no chance of ever seeing the field ever and that's just a waste of resources. Now, NU still takes a lot of walk-ons that aren't superstars in high school. Chances are one or two will develop into great players, but they all have to add something to the team of they should really get cut.

With any staff, I think recruiting is a success is getting the players you really want and need. Screw the :star ratings and all that nonsense. I don't think that was happening under the previous staff, especially later. Sure, you miss out on the big guys here and there like everyone but your class doesn't hinge on one or two players. The key is in the breadth of the class. You get breadth by offering A TON of kids, like this staff does.

As far as the 10-3 season, well, I have to say that I think it was probably the most hollow 10-3 I've ever seen at NU. Every time the team stepped out on the field I cringed. I had no confidence in the team that they would soundly beat anyone. After the first few home games I attended (had season tickets last year), I felt some of that confidence returning. I am sure that has something to do with having some continuity finally.

Just thought I would chime back in since starting the topic....... great posts and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but a few are throwing me for a loop.......

I still have a hard time believing that people are still not giving BC the props he deserves......Man, I am the world's biggest TO fan....I even invited him to my wedding, I have a "shrine" to him, and my son is named after him...... but to people like Pooh Bear..... I will tell you that BC has only had 3 yrs., not 4...... being named HC with little or no recruiting time is not even close to being "fair" when considering his time-table..... Please do your homework..... TO is completely and will always be the man in my world and this State, but don't kid yourself, if you give BC or any other coach the talent that that the 93-94-95 teams had on them, they would be winning championships....just count the number of NFL "studs" who played during that era....

Yes, I agree that being "unique" with the option offense helped tremendously, but you must have "athletes" to be successful...... remember, TO ran the same offense during all the years leading up to his 1st NC and people said he couldn't win the big one..... one day, he realized he must recruit speed and better athletes.....

RECRUITING is the key to WINNING.... and BC is getting the job done, unlike Solich.....no questions.....

As I stated in the topic starter, as soon as BC get "quality" depth as USC, TX, etc..... he will be winning many, many games.....you don't build depth in 3 (oops) I mean 4 recruiting years.....depth will only come with time......time will only come with patience.......I wonder how many of the people on this board actually had to endure "patience" with TO.... I am assuming by some of this BS rationale, that many of the posters can only remember the early to late 90's and either didn't follow NU or weren't born prior to the NC's.....

We now have kids on the offensive side of the ball coming to NU that wouldn't have dreamed of coming under the previous staff. Kids like Marlon Lucky, Maurice Purify and Zac Lee.

I will agree with you on that. However, if you are running a pro-style offense and cannot get the top players, you will never compete with the elite. That's why what Osborne did was so special. If Callahan could get the top players we might have a shot.

Nebraska has never had a bunch of "lesser" kids. For some reason, people want to think that we won national championships with a bunch of kids that grew up on farms or weren't sought after by anyone.

If you look back at those recruiting classes of Osborne, he almost never had the top guys. He might get 1-2 of the top 100, but most were not highly thought of. He fit them into his system and had the staff to make those kids the best they could be. Currently we don't have that luxury.

I mean, look at all the guys in the NFL from those teams and tell me they were "lesser". There's no such thing as "lesser" in the NFL. You're either good enough, or you aren't.

I agree, but look at how many All-pro players came from Miami, FSU, or Michigan in contrast to how many came from NU. Even though there was a lot of NFL talent, it wasn't even close to some of those schools. Yet we were more successful than those schools.

With any staff, I think recruiting is a success is getting the players you really want and need. Screw the :star ratings and all that nonsense.... You get breadth by offering A TON of kids, like this staff does.

These statements contradict each other. If you offer 300 kids, how do you know who you "really want." Sure they offer alot of kids, but that is why we are seeing alot of obsure, unknowns commit who nobody else is offering.

As far as the 10-3 season, well, I have to say that I think it was probably the most hollow 10-3 I've ever seen at NU. Every time the team stepped out on the field I cringed. I had no confidence in the team that they would soundly beat anyone. After the first few home games I attended (had season tickets last year), I felt some of that confidence returning.

I would much rather have a "hollow" 10-3 then a "solid" 5-6, or 9-5. I can understand not having much confidence in Frank's teams after the debacle in Boulder, but need I remind you that under Callahan, KU not only beat us for the first time in over 40 years, but they killed us. The other 2 years we played, they came damn close to beating us in our house. A 1AA team gave us all we could handle in Lincoln 2 years ago. OSU kicked our butts. I don't even need to mention 70-10, do I? Callahan still hasn't beat a team that has finished in the top 25. I have no more confidence in this team than I did in 2002 and if you do you are dreaming.

As I stated in the topic starter, as soon as BC get "quality" depth as USC, TX, etc..... he will be winning many, many games.....you don't build depth in 3 (oops) I mean 4 recruiting years.....depth will only come with time......time will only come with patience.......I wonder how many of the people on this board actually had to endure "patience" with TO.... I am assuming by some of this BS rationale, that many of the posters can only remember the early to late 90's and either didn't follow NU or weren't born prior to the NC's.....

How much time? Stoops didn't take long to win. Neither did Weiss. I will guarantee that both Ron Prince and Dan Hawkins turn around there programs much more quickly than Callahan has stagnated ours. Sure we may be getting "better recruits" but it hasn't made a difference in wins and lossed. I was patient with Tom, but there is a huge difference. He won conference championships and played in New Years Bowls almost every year. He never got beat by 60 and never went 5-6. Apple to oranges.

There is so much talk about recruiting, but you have to do something with the talent you have. Look at Stoops and Urban Meyer. These teams had talent, but struggled to win udner their former coaches. Your coaches have to know what to do with them.