Would the Huskers get more respect??

godd2

i was wondering if the Huskers would get more respect nationally if we were to join the Big ten as a 12th team.....it seems like many teams in that conference (as well at the sec) get respect just for being in that conference. It makes me wonder where we would be projected if we were in that conference. I mean right now many people are picking Missouri to win the big 12 north, i just dont see that happening and consider it a slap in the face of the huskers. what do you all think?

Interesting question. I think the way to get respect is playing tough, winning big games during the season, going to BCS bowls consistently... or at least a few years in a row as you head into a new season. Also, the "what have you done lately" plays into it. Not sure if that makes sense?

We would instantly be behind, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin as far as predictions for this year. Way too much travel, and I think we would be the most hated of the group. Every single one would make it their season game. I think it would be a very tough conference for us. Fans would not travel to all the games like they do now.

Win the games in front of us and we will get all the respect we deserve. We do not deserve anything more than we are getting. We have to play at Missouri, not too much luck their recently.

Play the games, then worry about respect.

In the last three years were 22-15, and 3 of those wins are against 1AA schools and 11 of those losses are from within the conference and were 1-2 in bowls.

You get respect when you earn it

I totally agree. We have done nothing to earn respect. Until we win the big games, the media will not give it to us.

For some reason, though, Michigan and Notre Dame seem to be exceptions. They could have God-awful years, and the media will love them anyway.

I really think that if the Huskers DON'T win the Big 12 title or a BCS game, the media will still regard them as "up and coming"

We'll get some respect back soon enough, but it isn't going to be easy. People just hate us from the 90's and you know I don't really care if they like us or not. I don't measure the success of my team based on what other team's fans think I measure it on how we do on the field. Let them have no respect for us because it sounds like our boys are taking it seriously and using it as motivation!!!!

if we were to join the Big ten as a 12th team.....

No, I do not think it would. Plus, I think Kirk Herbstreit's head would explode (not necessarily a bad thing, but it is awful big). I do not think it matters what conference Nebraska is in. Only winning big games (USC,Texas,OU) will get us more respect. IMHO.

In the last three years were 22-15, and 3 of those wins are against 1AA schools and 11 of those losses are from within the conference and were 1-2 in bowls.

You get respect when you earn it

aren't we 1-1 in bowls?

That's what I was thinking to.

Yep your right, maybe I meant 1 for 2.

i was wondering if the Huskers would get more respect nationally if we were to join the Big ten as a 12th team.....it seems like many teams in that conference (as well at the sec) get respect just for being in that conference. It makes me wonder where we would be projected if we were in that conference. I mean right now many people are picking Missouri to win the big 12 north, i just dont see that happening and consider it a slap in the face of the huskers. what do you all think?

Actually, I think we need to take a stroll down memory lane to understand why NU doesn't get respect. First of all, under TO we consistently won almost every game because we scheduled patsies for the nonconference schedule and the Big 8 was usually only a 2 team conference. Then, we'd go to a bowl game against a Florida school and get our asses handed to us. I think we went like 8 years in a row losing our bowl game. TO decided we needed more team speed and instantly we were competive to the point we had one of the best runs in college football history. However, we still didn't get the respect because we ran what was thought of as an archaic offense and we had a lot of criminals on the team.

Next victim, Frank Solich. His first two years we didn't get much respect mostly because we had a young team. Then when it looked as though dominance were reappearing in Huskerland, we get shellshocked by CU. We lost some respect after the CU game, but most of the respect lost that year fell upon us because even after that drumming we were invited to the NC game.

Final victim, BC. He's 22-15 overall. He's 6-9 on the road. We haven't beaten really anyone. Our bowl streak was ended. 2004 was the cellar. We're going to have to claw our way back to not only the top but also to gain respect.

It doesn't matter what conference we're in because lets face it NU isn't the only team this has happened to. If we want respect, we have to win some games against top 10 competition. If we want respect, we have to do more than win the nonrespectable north in the Big 12. We have to actually be competitive in the Big 12 Championship game.