Question for the Huskers

First a comment, I have been following your opinions and commentary for a few weeks now and certainly can understand some of the panic and disbelief of many. As one outside of the program and not a fan of Nebraska, it seems to me the feeling that the program is falling out of control may be a bit pre-mature. It seems the Callahan needs to recruit some speed on the defensive side of the ball and Nebraska will be just fine.

My question is; When the Huskers hired Callahan who else was in the mix? I am having a hard time remembering. Secondly, why in the world did the Husker's let Pellini leave? He seemed to be a great fit to carry on the Nebraska tradition.

Good luck Saturday to the Huskers.

Unfortunately there really wasn't anyone else in the mix. Callahan was our only option because, our AD didnt think his firing of solich through. He didn't have anyone lined up to take the position so we spent 4 months trying to find a coach. Note to Pud: When firing a coach, you should always have someone lined up already to take his place. As far as I know Pud didn't offer the job to Pelini so he left, which is the dumbest thing ever. I still don't understand why Pud didn't offer him the job. The guy was a defensive guru, and last i checked defense wins championships. You can always bring in someone to run the offense, but defense is what gets it done.

And now this thread will turn into Solich v Callahan and how much we hate Pud. I think this is the 3,393,678,498,801,001 thread on this.

Unfortunately there really wasn't anyone else in the mix. Callahan was our only option because, our AD didnt think his firing of solich through. He didn't have anyone lined up to take the position so we spent 4 months trying to find a coach. Note to Pud: When firing a coach, you should always have someone lined up already to take his place. As far as I know Pud didn't offer the job to Pelini so he left, which is the dumbest thing ever. I still don't understand why Pud didn't offer him the job. The guy was a defensive guru, and last i checked defense wins championships. You can always bring in someone to run the offense, but defense is what gets it done.

And now this thread will turn into Solich v Callahan and how much we hate Pud. I think this is the 3,393,678,498,801,001 thread on this.

Whoa...um...there were quite a few folks in the mix. Houston Nutt, Sean Peyton, Bo Pelini, Turner Gill--all of them were either approached and/or interviewed for the job.

Honestly, I was hoping that they would have hired Turner Gill, but I was happy with the Callahan hire. I didn't see why they would have went after Nutt, and considering Bo's past (never stayed more than two years w/a team, if I recall correctly), I was more than hesitant to give the reigns to Bo (though I would had liked him to stay on as DC...especially now.)

He had Wandstadt lined up but Miami kept him another year. I am not sure that would have been any better either way.

There are very few coaches out there that want the Nebraska job that are truly qualified. No matter how wonderful we think it is the coaching world knows it is a major nightmare to coach at Nebraska.

If BC is fired we will struggle to find anyone that would even consider taking the job.

Pelini was a hot head. He showed his true colors after departing. He worked for two years to destroy this program. He is the lowest piece of $hit on the planet as far as I am concerned.

Enough with the bogasms.

Whoa...um...there were quite a few folks in the mix. Houston Nutt, Sean Peyton, Bo Pelini, Turner Gill--all of them were either approached and/or interviewed for the job.

Honestly, I was hoping that they would have hired Turner Gill, but I was happy with the Callahan hire. I didn't see why they would have went after Nutt, and considering Bo's past (never stayed more than two years w/a team, if I recall correctly), I was more than hesitant to give the reigns to Bo (though I would had liked him to stay on as DC...especially now.)

What i meant by "Unfortunately there really wasn't anyone else in the mix" is we didnt have another coach lined up. We had guys we thought would like the job, but it turns out they didn't want to touch it with a ten foot pole. We didn't have 3 guys who all wanted it and we were able to chose from that pool of coaches. We got screwed becuase Pud fired a guy without approaching others behind the scene about their interest in the job. Had Pud approached other coaches before he got fire happy this deal would have ended differently I'm sure. But instead we fired a guy, didn't have anyone lined up, then scrambled for a few months because no one wanted the position and finaly got someone last second.

That being said I think we ended up pretty well. I am by no means unhappy with Callahan. I think he has done a decent job considering the sh*t storm he walked into that was only created by non-other than our fabulous(sp) AD.

I agree with most of your post, but you must remember that Notre Dame did have someone in mind and tried to lure him aggressively (Urban Meyers). Florida was also trying to lure him there. In the end, he turned down his supposed dream job at Notre Dame for Florida. It made Notre Dame look foolish for a while. Just because we may have had someone in mind, doesn't mean they would take the job considering the circumstances. The biggest reason we didn't have many/any people interested in the job were because of the circumstances under which Solich was fired. If you're a big name coach out there, why would you want to come into a program that just fired a coach with a 75% winning percentage that finished the year ranked #17? He was Big 12 coach of the year 3 times. Nobody in their right mind wants to jump into that kind of fire.

Wanstedt would have been remarkably worse than BC. I really don't think there is any debating this. Look at what stellar job he's done at Pitt. He's ruined every team he's ever been a head coach at. It took the Bears a lot of years to recover from Wanstedt. Before him, they made a BCS bowl. Now, they don't make bowls. Houston Nutt is a horrible coach but good recruiter. Sound familiar? He simply used the NU job as a bartering chip with Arkansas. If Arkansas had any balls at all they'd can his ass because he's a horrible coach.

If BC is fired at the end of this year, I don't think we'll have many/any coaches beating down the door for the job. However after 5 or 6 years and we're still struggling to crack the top 25, yeah I think we could get a big name coach to come in here. It's going to cost probably 2.5 million or better, but we could easily pluck a great one to come here.

If BC is fired, I just hope Pud has the decency and intelligence to find our next coach. I hope he used some restraint and has learned something from his last dibacle. If he hires Norv Turner, I'll sh#t myself!

I agree with most of your post, but you must remember that Notre Dame did have someone in mind and tried to lure him aggressively (Urban Meyers). Florida was also trying to lure him there. In the end, he turned down his supposed dream job at Notre Dame for Florida. It made Notre Dame look foolish for a while. Just because we may have had someone in mind, doesn't mean they would take the job considering the circumstances. The biggest reason we didn't have many/any people interested in the job were because of the circumstances under which Solich was fired. If you're a big name coach out there, why would you want to come into a program that just fired a coach with a 75% winning percentage that finished the year ranked #17? He was Big 12 coach of the year 3 times. Nobody in their right mind wants to jump into that kind of fire.

Wanstedt would have been remarkably worse than BC. I really don't think there is any debating this. Look at what stellar job he's done at Pitt. He's ruined every team he's ever been a head coach at. It took the Bears a lot of years to recover from Wanstedt. Before him, they made a BCS bowl. Now, they don't make bowls. Houston Nutt is a horrible coach but good recruiter. Sound familiar? He simply used the NU job as a bartering chip with Arkansas. If Arkansas had any balls at all they'd can his ass because he's a horrible coach.

If BC is fired at the end of this year, I don't think we'll have many/any coaches beating down the door for the job. However after 5 or 6 years and we're still struggling to crack the top 25, yeah I think we could get a big name coach to come in here. It's going to cost probably 2.5 million or better, but we could easily pluck a great one to come here.

If BC is fired, I just hope Pud has the decency and intelligence to find our next coach. I hope he used some restraint and has learned something from his last dibacle. If he hires Norv Turner, I'll sh#t myself!

I dont think we have to worry about BC being fired at the end of this year, as a matter of fact i hope we dont have to worry about that. Cally doesn't deserve to be canned yet, however there has to be something done about the DC. Usually HC heads dont roll untill the coordinators have been changed and there is still no improvement.

Welcome to the board.

Pellini wasnt a hot commodity at the time. Like someone mentioned he jumped ship a lot prior to coming to Nebraska & then after one year he expected to be the head coach. He cried and complained in the media when the job wasnt being given to him. Boo hoo. What did he do up until then? No head coaching experience. As for his defense, they gave up 41 to Missouri that year, and 31 to Texas.

Thanks for the input. Speed always helps on D. Good luck to Mizzou as well.

First a comment, I have been following your opinions and commentary for a few weeks now and certainly can understand some of the panic and disbelief of many. As one outside of the program and not a fan of Nebraska, it seems to me the feeling that the program is falling out of control may be a bit pre-mature. It seems the Callahan needs to recruit some speed on the defensive side of the ball and Nebraska will be just fine.

My question is; When the Huskers hired Callahan who else was in the mix? I am having a hard time remembering. Secondly, why in the world did the Husker's let Pellini leave? He seemed to be a great fit to carry on the Nebraska tradition.

Good luck Saturday to the Huskers.

because of the way the solich situation was handled, we really didnt have a lot of GOOD options(I'll put it this way... we got turned down by houston nutt!!). cally was clearly the best. that is why many are mad at our AD..... and for some reason people lump cally in there as well.

I don't remember Sean Peyton being mentioned. I think he would have done well at NU.

I also think Sean Payton would have done well at NU, but I don't think he would have stuck around long considering his age. I agree that speed is what you need on defense. Look at the SEC's defenses and try and tell me it doesn't make a difference. ;) Welcome to the board Tiger in SC gives us your opinion on the Huskers. It's always nice to have an outsiders opinion.

I also think Sean Payton would have done well at NU, but I don't think he would have stuck around long considering his age. I agree that speed is what you need on defense. Look at the SEC's defenses and try and tell me it doesn't make a difference. ;) Welcome to the board Tiger in SC gives us your opinion on the Huskers. It's always nice to have an outsiders opinion.

Totally agree, speed beats size anyday on defense. We need to go for a speed based defense, downsize our linebackers and DE's and bring in speed. I think we would see a dramatic improvement