Head Coach Wish List

rkhufu7

Jim Leavitt of South Florida. The Bulls haven't even been D-1 for ten years and now look at where they're at.

it's been stated and shot down (at least in this forum). reasons for leavitt not coming to nebraska include a] he's got a good thing going on down there, b] he's in a recruiting hotbed and c] why leave florida for the midwest?

right now, south florida may be the strongest program in that state. just *ponder* that mind-boggling statement and then consider that central florida is shaping-up quite nicely too.

and god help florida, fsu and miami if florida international and fau get their stuff together. it's be as bad as texas or california.

man, has this been a messed-up season or what?

I'm not saying Pelini has to be the next HC, but I really don't see why some people are so opposed to the idea. The only negative things I've heard from the anti-Pelini crowd have been purely speculative. "He's not HC material", "he can't run an entire program", "he's nothing but a 'fiery guy', and he can't lead a whole team". No one knows if any of these things are true or not.

However, there are some very real and measureable reasons to consider him for the position. If I remember correctly, he re-established Nebraska's recruiting presence in Florida. Players want to play for a successful coach. In fact, most of the players he recruited appreciated that he was a straight shooter and wasn't going to blow sunshine up their a**. The defenses that he's coached have consistently been among the best in the country and he's on most people's short list of coordinators soon to be HCs. He hasn't been run off from any school but Nebraska and there's never been any indication of misconduct.

So honestly, why not consider Pelini with everyone else?

Pelini is the man, plain and simple. He took a very average defense from 2002 and turned it into a fiery, aggressive, turnover-creating unit in 2003. He put up with Stevie P's crap for 45 days and still held it together for the bowl game. He has seen some of the best football in the nation since his NU departure, and I'm sure has created recruiting contacts during that timespan. Bo has been at the very top of college football since 2003 and will be able to share that knowledge with his players on what it takes to get there. People criticize him for his Bill Snyder rant in 2003, but I loved it. He stands up for his kids, gets them to play hard, and has a top-notch defensive mind. After the last four years, I'm so ready for that. Plus, with T.O. at the helm, Bo can be mentored on the "polished" side of being a D-1 head coach. BRING HIM ON.

Ok we dont need simply a defensive coach or an offensive coach we need a coach that emphasizes all three phases of the game, Defense, Offense, and Special Teams. I think we can see that with the coach we have right now, all Bill Callahan thinks about is offense, he even brought in a DC that thinks offense, jsut look at what he is doing for opposing offenses. Personally i think Pelini would be a great hire because i beleive he has been around enough great programs to know that you need to perform in all three phases to win.

Didn't going the NFL Coach route get us in this situation in the first place?

I don't think you can just brand every NFL coach like that. Pete Carroll ring a bell? Many at USC thought he was just another washed up NFL coach when he was hired and now look. People can't stop swinging from his junk.

Didn't going the NFL Coach route get us in this situation in the first place?

I don't think you can just brand every NFL coach like that. Pete Carroll ring a bell? Many at USC thought he was just another washed up NFL coach when he was hired and now look. People can't stop swinging from his junk.

Hey Dave, can we start an entirely new message board dedicated to the Pros and Cons of Pellini becoming our next Head Coach? There certainly are enough messages to warrant it!

You should have taken McCarney when he was available. He had a good run as HC with ISU with a miserable lack of talented personnel. Think what he could do if he actually had real football players to work with...as he seems to have in Florida. Still, he would probably be better suited as a DC.

Mark Farley? Good succesful coach who has proven himself in I-AA. Beats Big 10 and Big 12 schools pretty consistently. Seems to recruit well and has Big 12 experience under Terry Allen when he was at Kansas. Maybe a good darkhorse candidate?

Not all Sooner fans believe Venables is a bad DC. It was not the defense that lost the game in Boulder. They were on the field the whole second half. Of the 24 points we scored, 14 were set up by the defense. With the offenses used today, it is next to impossible to have 3 and outs all the time, especially if a decent quarterback is throwing the ball. Ball control offenses play a very large part in a defense's success during Longhorn(steer) :) cutting time. I am not saying you should consider BV. We would miss him, contrary to some ignorant Sooner fans belief.

A good defensive minded guy who knows how to hire the right OC seems to do well.

I'm pretty confident "the next coach" whenever that is will be someone the AD thinks can manage the team, the staff, the game.. someone who also coaches, teaches, motivates, handles media well, gets along with the alumni, the boosters, the fans, and treats the program with genuine respect. He is going to bridge the gap and bring unity among Husker Nation. A leader for the Sea of Red. I will be confident in whoever the AD picks.

Offensive minded, defensive minded, makes no difference. He'll have his OC and DC do their jobs.