Jammal Lord Slam

Blackshirt

2:06 and 2:51 - ha ha ha - that's the way I remember Lord. The problem with him, though, was that he couldn't hardly go through any kind of progression. If his first read was covered, and he felt any kind of pressure (which was about every play with our porous pass blocking), he would take off. I remember being at that wretched '02 Penn State game, and if he just would've seen the open receivers downfield, we would've made a game out of it. As most of you know, it's easier to see the receivers finding openings in person than on TV.

And while he did make a good throw every now and then (like the bomb to Herian vs. ut in '02), they were few and far between. He made a lot of BAD throws, some straight to defenders.

All that said, he gave it all every play, often sacrificing his body to pick up a first down. Looking back, I'm proud of the way he played, and I'm glad he's a Husker.

I think JL was unfairly criticized when he was here, and his parting comments confirmed that. I hope he has learned to forgive and put in perspective some of the vitriol that was directed at him.

Having said all that.......

JL did more damage to fields with the bullets he zinged into them than any other QB I have seen at NU. As a passer, he was no passer.

On the flip side of THAT, go look at that clip. JL had more opponents in his backfield than teammates. I have forgotten just how badly our talent had slipped. JL made a lot of plays that other QBs would not have made. His favorite receiver, though, was the turf.

2:06 and 2:51 - ha ha ha - that's the way I remember Lord. The problem with him, though, was that he couldn't hardly go through any kind of progression. If his first read was covered, and he felt any kind of pressure (which was about every play with our porous pass blocking), he would take off. I remember being at that wretched '02 Penn State game, and if he just would've seen the open receivers downfield, we would've made a game out of it. As most of you know, it's easier to see the receivers finding openings in person than on TV.

And while he did make a good throw every now and then (like the bomb to Herian vs. ut in '02), they were few and far between. He made a lot of BAD throws, some straight to defenders.

All that said, he gave it all every play, often sacrificing his body to pick up a first down. Looking back, I'm proud of the way he played, and I'm glad he's a Husker.

The difference between Jammal Lord and Eric Crouch was that Crouch had Tracy Wistrom, Bobby Newcombe, and Matt Davison, Correl Buckhalter, Dan Alexander, and Dahrran Diedrick. Jammal Lord had Josh Davis, David Horne, Ross Pilkington and Matt Herian (who was never the same after his injury). Crouch also had better offensive lines.

Jammal Lord highlight reel:

Those uniforms were horrendous that year. Big ugly stripe, weird piping on the jerseys, not to mention those all-white ensembles

And yet I've seen fellow Husker fans who play NCAA customize the uniform to either look like it or something even more horrendous. Just leave the uniform the way it is.

Like this person who changed the uniform for the Huskers into something that gives me nightmares.

Jammal Lord had Josh Davis, David Horne, Ross Pilkington and Matt Herian (who was never the same after his injury). Crouch also had better offensive lines.

This. Horne, had million dollar talent, but a ten cent brain. Had the one game against A&M to toy with everyone's emotions and then nada, almost like Nebrasketball and baseball.

Herian for the record was all that J-Rock had, he broke his leg in Crapahan's first year, so Lord had him at his finest

Saw this quote on ESPN. Pretty interesting. Maybe even some truth to it..

"Jammal Lord has the potential to be a terrific safety, maybe a good linebacker or even a decent running back. He also has the potential, as a quarterback, to get his coach fired."

- Al Carter, The Dallas Morning News

Is this guy Mel Kiper Jr., oh wait he liked JaMarcus Russell at #1.

Saw this quote on ESPN. Pretty interesting. Maybe even some truth to it..

"Jammal Lord has the potential to be a terrific safety, maybe a good linebacker or even a decent running back. He also has the potential, as a quarterback, to get his coach fired."

- Al Carter, The Dallas Morning News

Is this guy Mel Kiper Jr., oh wait he liked JaMarcus Russell at #1.

Ha ha! JaMarcus Russell. Another "special" draft pick by Al Davis.