I'm man enough to admit it!

HuskerT

I'm one of the many members of this board who thought Joe Ganz wasn't good enough to be our starting QB and I thought choosing Keller over him was a no brainer. I'm happy to admit that I was wrong. He's a perfect example of how you can't measure a man's heart and determination. Not only am I happy to have him as our starting QB, but I'm excited about next year.

A LOT of people were wrong about Joe. I was at the Spring Game and sat right on top of Sam and Joe as they warmed up in the northwest corner. I watched all their throws, I had pretty good seats for most of the plays, and especially Ganz' TD scramble. I came away seeing Keller throwing at receivers before they made their cuts, while Joe threw as they made them or after. Knowing how crucial timing is to all the passes in the WCO, I was not impressed with Joe's timing. Further, and this is still true right now, Keller's arm is far stronger than Joe's. Was then, is today. Finally, on that TD scramble Joe ran in that everyone was so ga-ga about, not one but two defenders had clean shots at Joe but pulled up because of his green jersey. So overall at that game I was not terribly impressed with Joe. He was certainly not bad, but he wasn't in my mind better than Keller. So I was cool with Keller as our QB.

Now, fast-forward to the last three games, and there is NO denying Joe's ability to get the most out of his offense. We just seem different with him at the helm. The team responded OK to Sam, but it looks like they'll follow Joe through a brick wall. That's the main difference I can see. Well, that and Joe's ability to scramble, which extends plays. That makes coverage downfield so tough, and he's got good vision and can get the ball to the receivers when they get open. That's so tough to defend.

I was not against Joe as our QB, but with all the circumstances surrounding Keller and with what I saw at the Spring Game, it seemed inevitable that Keller would get the job. I understood it, and I was cool with it.

But I'm glad that we get to see these two play. I wish it was under different circumstances, though.

I don't think anybody in Husker Nation could have predicted what Mr. ganz has done.

It just would have been nice to see him get a chance before the 4th qtr of the TexASS game.

He appears to be similar to ZT, less talent then others but makes up for it with the in-measurables.

A LOT of people were wrong about Joe. I was at the Spring Game and sat right on top of Sam and Joe as they warmed up in the northwest corner. I watched all their throws, I had pretty good seats for most of the plays, and especially Ganz' TD scramble. I came away seeing Keller throwing at receivers before they made their cuts, while Joe threw as they made them or after. Knowing how crucial timing is to all the passes in the WCO, I was not impressed with Joe's timing. Further, and this is still true right now, Keller's arm is far stronger than Joe's. Was then, is today. Finally, on that TD scramble Joe ran in that everyone was so ga-ga about, not one but two defenders had clean shots at Joe but pulled up because of his green jersey. So overall at that game I was not terribly impressed with Joe. He was certainly not bad, but he wasn't in my mind better than Keller. So I was cool with Keller as our QB.

Now, fast-forward to the last three games, and there is NO denying Joe's ability to get the most out of his offense. We just seem different with him at the helm. The team responded OK to Sam, but it looks like they'll follow Joe through a brick wall. That's the main difference I can see. Well, that and Joe's ability to scramble, which extends plays. That makes coverage downfield so tough, and he's got good vision and can get the ball to the receivers when they get open. That's so tough to defend.

I was not against Joe as our QB, but with all the circumstances surrounding Keller and with what I saw at the Spring Game, it seemed inevitable that Keller would get the job. I understood it, and I was cool with it.

But I'm glad that we get to see these two play. I wish it was under different circumstances, though.

I'd agree with you there. Keller appeared to be a better fit to lead the team based upon what I saw. Keller did an ok job this season, a little turnover-prone, but he played his butt off. Ganz seems to add another dynamic to the team that the whole offense feeds off of it. I didn't think there would be any way that Ganz would start(barring an injury situation like what happened), but since he has gotten in there and played the way he has, I don't think there is any way that he can't have the inside track on the job for next year.

Agree! The offense and the team just seem to respond so much better to Joe, I'm not sure if it's because Watson is contributing to the play calling now or just because Joe has a better understanding of it, but the offense just seems to be so much more wide open with Joe running it. I really hope Watson stays as OC, I'd hate for Joe to have to learn a new system, although I'm sure he would be able to do anything he puts his mind to.

When I watched the spring game I thought they were very close. But what impressed me about Ganz was his willingness to take a risk.

On that TD scramble, there may have been guys close enough to tackle him, but Ganz dove for the endzone. My point is he gave up the body to try to make a play.In my mind, Keller may have been a better quarterback..But Joey G was the better football player.

Glad to have him at the helm now.

Keller is a better NFL type QB, he has a better arm, taller, little better accuracy. Ganz on the other hand is probably a better college QB, he is probably smarter but still willing to take risk, tougher, more athletic. Callahan is an NFL guy and he is willing to admit this, so it is no wonder Callahan went with the NFL type QB.

The same thing happened a few years ago at Texas with Major Applewhite and Chris Simms. According to NFL standars Simms was a far better prospect, but Applewhite just knew how to win and was a better QB in college. Mack Brown went witht he NFL kid in that situation also.

Having said that, it is truly amazing what Ganz is doing with the offense right now.

I always kind of wondered if Cally was enamored with Keller bc/ he was an NFL type QB with NFL type skills. I also wondered if Cally had made some kind of promise to Keller and his parents to get him here.

I will also admit that I thought Ganz was never meant for anything more than a back up. I remember reading posts about how Witt or Lee would stat next year over Ganz as well. There was always a voice in the back of my head saying that if Ganz really was that close to Keller in camp then he should start as a senior. That is how Husker tradition works- work hard, wait your tunr, earn the right to start.

I'm blown away by this kid.

Maybe this makes sense- Keller is more of a talent and an NFL prospect, Ganz is a Husker!!

I don't mean that as Keller isn't a Hisker, but there is something about the way Ganz plays that has this team, and the fans excited again.

Count me on the "Ganz should be our starter next year" bandwagon!!

I always kind of wondered if Cally was enamored with Keller bc/ he was an NFL type QB with NFL type skills. I also wondered if Cally had made some kind of promise to Keller and his parents to get him here.

I will also admit that I thought Ganz was never meant for anything more than a back up. I remember reading posts about how Witt or Lee would stat next year over Ganz as well. There was always a voice in the back of my head saying that if Ganz really was that close to Keller in camp then he should start as a senior. That is how Husker tradition works- work hard, wait your tunr, earn the right to start.

I'm blown away by this kid.

Maybe this makes sense- Keller is more of a talent and an NFL prospect, Ganz is a Husker!!

I don't mean that as Keller isn't a Hisker, but there is something about the way Ganz plays that has this team, and the fans excited again.

Count me on the "Ganz should be our starter next year" bandwagon!!

Exactly what I was thinking! I figured that BC and Keller's dad made a deal that Keller would start every game barring injury and considering the circumstances at the time it was probably a good deal and nothing against Keller because he's been a class act since he got here, but I'm glad that Joe finally got a chance to prove us wrong. I'm also officially on the "Ganz should be our starter next year" bandwagon!! GBR

Man enough? To admit that you didn't think Joe was good?

Yeah, it takes a REAL man to say that he underestimated someone who played well in a game.

What? ....

We all underestimated Joe. Almost NO ONE here gave him a real shot to win the starting QB job at the beginning of the year. I sure didn't. But all of a sudden here come all these folks out of the woodworks, saying "Can Callahan for not starting Joe all year!" :dunno