NU Fans Bad?

moe

CU veterans instill magnitude of Nebraska rivalry

By Kyle Ringo (Contact)

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Colorado linebacker Jordon Dizon had heard a lot of talk about the intensity and passion behind the Colorado-Nebraska rivalry during his true freshman season in 2004, but it didn't resonate with him until he encountered two little old ladies in Memorial Stadium.

Walking out of the locker room and onto the field that day, Dizon said he saw the two women yelling at CU players and "chucking tomatoes" at the Buffs.

"Once I saw that I knew this was a real rivalry, from then on I knew it was a great rivalry," Dizon said Monday.

If this is true, KUDOS to those women heaving the tomatoes. I don't, personally, believe it...yet, I'm wrong a lot.

If not...nice try, Dizon.

Does anyone have any recollection of women throwing tomatoes at CU players in 2004?

If so, I'll silence myself. :hmmph

http://www.buffzone.com/news/2007/nov/20/c...l-magnitude-of/

Ha, nice try, Dizon indeed.

I was at that game and I don't recall seeing, or hearing one word about two women throwing tomatoes. Especially inside the stadium as players are walking to the field.

If it had been outside in the parking lot somewhere than MAYBE I could POSSIBLY give this some credit but inside the stadium tunnel area? I think not.

I hate to spoil a good story, but I was in the tunnel when the CU players came on the field. Our seats are right above that tunnel. This did not happen.

That "tunnel" is just a walking path under the stadium (at least it was - it's changed since that game), it's not a true "tunnel." It's lined with fans who want to see the opponent, and there are cops standing inside the ropes. If "two little old ladies" had started throwing tomatoes I would have seen them, and for sure the security would have seen them. It's not a large area and it's not an area you can do something covertly in.

What a stupid story, and one that is so easy to verify as this just makes the story that much more stupid.

I hate to spoil a good story, but I was in the tunnel when the CU players came on the field. Our seats are right above that tunnel. This did not happen.

That "tunnel" is just a walking path under the stadium (at least it was - it's changed since that game), it's not a true "tunnel." It's lined with fans who want to see the opponent, and there are cops standing inside the ropes. If "two little old ladies" had started throwing tomatoes I would have seen them, and for sure the security would have seen them. It's not a large area and it's not an area you can do something covertly in.

What a stupid story, and one that is so easy to verify as this just makes the story that much more stupid.

Thanks for setting this straight. :thumbs

I don't know about the tomato thing, but I do remember back in the mid 90's when we played CU. It was a night, so the college crowd was nice and drunk. They were pi$$ing in hefty trash bags and throwing it down on the CU crowd. I've been bouth to Boulder for games and Lincoln for games. I don't recommend either.

Can you explain that a little better? The visitor's section is not below the student section now, nor was it in the 90s when you say this happened. There could have been CU fans sitting somewhere other than their section, but I have to believe I would have heard about this incident before this.

I have several friends who were students in the 90s, and I've never heard one of them describe anything like this. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I'd like more info before I fully believe it.

The last CU game I was at was the 2004 game. We sit in the North Stadium but there were several CU fans in the vicinity of us. Even though we played an awful game and they beat us, not one time did I see any CU fan suffer so much as a dirty look sent their way.

I was at the 1992 game, where it was sleeting and absolutely awful weather, and we won 52-7. That was a night game, and the last one I remember at night against CU in the 90s (which is not to say there weren't more, I just don't remember right now).

I live in Denver and anytime college football comes up CU fan feels this enormous pressure inflate and legitimize that program. They get hostile, start making up stats, talk about their glory days (which was really a glory minute). Even at their best CU lives in NU's shadow. I imagine this carries on through the whole football program and the coaches and team as well. It makes people say absurd things.

Remember, the worst day as a buff (losing to Montana State, there could be others) is better than the best day as a husker (3 Nat Champs in 4 years).

Regardless of the tomato story Dizon is a stud LB.