Predictions for Next Year

Call me crazy, but there is talent on this team to make a run for the NC, as soon as NEXT YEAR. I'll stack our talent up against anybody. But put a clown out there as coach and you've got a losing season. The big games next year will be at Tech and at OU.

You can't be serious?!!! At a minimum there are 20 teams out there with more talent than NU --- and at least 3 of them are in our conference. Perhaps as many as 30 teams can exceed or match our talent --- and 5 are in our conference. MNC --- not even a remote chance. B12 conference champion --- really, really unlikely. B12 North champion next year --- possible, but a long shot.

Better next year. Sure. Competitive --- I'd think so. But you asked --- so, yes I call you crazy. But I applaud you at the same time. Enthusiasm is a great thing and we may as well dream big. But don't be bummed if our beloved Huskers fall short of your hopes for next year.

Lets just hope for great heart, great effort, a never say die attitude and a violent team that fights 4 quarters of every game.

The sad part is that this was supposed to be our year, we lose a fair amount of starters after this.

But at-least we've discovered Ganz and he can not-only run the WCO but can do the spread-option elements that have been talked about.

Our receiving-corps loses a ton. We could use Ron Brown's experience here if he is really coming.

The D gets nailed majorly at LB and corner. Even if Bo wasn't a zone guy we'd need to be in '08. Marvin will have his work cut out for him.

A retun to physical practices will definitely help our tackling and intensity.

Hopefully Kennedy was just following orders when it comes to S&C and wasn't doing what he wanted, otherwise we gotta get Bailey back.

With injuries we had to play a fair amount of young o-linemne at the end and we were moving the ball, that bodes well.

It is hard to say how good our D will be. In O2 we were average, a big jump made us quality. This year we were horrid, we need a big jump just to get to average again. Don't expect our '03, I'd expect more of an '02.

I'll predict 8-4, what we would have been this year if we had an actual defense, Ganz got his shot when our O slumped, and the team was a little better managed(physical practices that teach fundamenta, hardnosed football and better motivation).

The sched will be about the same overall. The top teams will be better but we do get Baylor back and no Wake.

I will be happy with 7 or 8 wins after how dismal this defense was this year. It can't be completely turned around overnight. One thing that needs to be there, and I believe it will, is the belief that we can win every game.

We also won't have a talking Chihuahua running the damn defense, either.

4otpyc2.jpg

I thought the 2007 team was capable of 10-12 wins. 2008 will have an easier schedule(IMO), so I wouldn't rule out a big turn around. Talent is not lacking, it is attitude. It will be interesting if any players jump ship and if recruits stay committed.

I'm sure your prediction was before the season started? I mean who would have thought in August that both KU and Mizzou would have an opportunity to play in the NC game? Who would have thought KU would make a BCS game? Who would have though 2 Big 12 North teams would be in the top 10?

Next year hinges on several things: 1) Was Mizzou and KU one hit wonders? They both have several key players coming back. 2) The Defense. We lose nearly every LB. I realize Dillard and some younger guys saw a lot more playing time going into the end of the season, but we lose nearly everyone at LB. The secondary will lose a lot of starters as well. I think the D Line will be better, but we do have to address the LB position as well as the secondary position. 3) Is CU next? Is CU the next KU and Mizzou of this year? They started or played significantly 42 freshmen this year (both redshirt freshmen and true freshmen). We potentially could see 3 or 4 top 25 teams next year in the Big 12 North alone. IMO, the Big 12 will be the strongest conference next year. Week in and week out nearly every Big 12 game will be a nailbiter.

We will be bowl eligible next year, but I'm not willing to go out and say we win 9+ games next year. We have the maturity on offense to be really good and score a lot of points. I am concerned about all the people we lose on defense. Look at the years of experience we lose with guys like Grixby, Ruud, Tierre G., etc. We're gonna be pretty young on the D side of the ball.

Honestly i would be happy with 6 and 6 for a starting head coach as long as we didnt get blown out on any of the 6 losses i would be happy with that.

Ben

:yeah

Baby steps, people. Baby steps.

If we win more than six games I'll be pleasantly surprised, but six wins and a bowl game would be fine with me.

Honestly i would be happy with 6 and 6 for a starting head coach as long as we didnt get blown out on any of the 6 losses i would be happy with that.

Ben

:yeah

Baby steps, people. Baby steps.

If we win more than six games I'll be pleasantly surprised, but six wins and a bowl game would be fine with me.

:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah

I'm thinking 9 wins maximum but there are a couple of toss-ups in there.

San Jose, NM State, W Michigan, Texas Tech, ISU, Baylor, Kansas, KSU and CU

I'm putting the TT and Kansas games in as toss-ups as you can never tell what might happen against Tech and, though I'm thinking Kansas is a one season fluke (as opposed to Mizzou who looks like they might be tough for a few years regardless of having Pinkel as a coach), I may be wrong about that one.

Of course, there's always that chance for an ISU upset.... <_<

OU, pre-season #1, KU and MU will be top 10 teams, since they have much players back also.

i would be very happy with 8 wins next year...i would consider that a major accomplishment...bit in reality,,,, the huskers might be struggling to have a winning season...hopefully not one like this year.

Call me crazy, but there is talent on this team to make a run for the NC, as soon as NEXT YEAR. I'll stack our talent up against anybody. But put a clown out there as coach and you've got a losing season. The big games next year will be at Tech and at OU.

I'm thinking 9 wins maximum but there are a couple of toss-ups in there.

San Jose, NM State, W Michigan, Texas Tech, ISU, Baylor, Kansas, KSU and CU

I'm putting the TT and Kansas games in as toss-ups as you can never tell what might happen against Tech and, though I'm thinking Kansas is a one season fluke (as opposed to Mizzou who looks like they might be tough for a few years regardless of having Pinkel as a coach), I may be wrong about that one.

Of course, there's always that chance for an ISU upset.... <_<

Dont forget that VA TECH comes to lincoln, and they also will be replacing the majority of their starters.. they will not be as good of a team next year as they are this year.. will they be over rated? more than likely.. but that doesn't mean they'll be as good.. i look for that 'upset' as a possibility..

Maybe I am being really optimistic here, but I would like to add the fact that our head coach coached a Defense this year that completely shut down a VTech team. He also coached under Bob Stoops so he knows how BS thinks/plans/ and developes his strategies. I know our D does have the talent LSU does this year, but I can't help but think that this has to help us going into these 2 games next year. Arguably our 2 toughest opponents next year.