Glenn stands out at linebacker

Cody Glenn’s position switch is permanent.

“I’m 100 percent sure,” Glenn said, “I won’t be a running back again here.”

In fact, all signs indicate Glenn, a senior, is Nebraska’s starting WILL linebacker.

rest here http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2008/0...27017929528.txt

Go get 'em Cody! :)

I love how he was unselfish enough to go where the team really needed him. I hope he does well in this position and gets a chance to play in the NFL.

I think you're being just a little too praising. It wasn't a completely unselfish act, half of it was that he was at the bottom of the RB depth chart and the guy obviously wanted to play, badly.

Why do people make excuses against Glenn?? "he knows the offense" "our LB core must not be strong".....what if Cody is just a stud at LB, just never played it before???

Give him some credit, making a risky move and happens to have a little success, that looks to have surprised a lot of people. I'd like to see the people on this board go play D1 running back for 3 years then make a move to D and after 2 weeks, earn a starting spot. (i know thats not "offical" though).

Go get em Cody and wreak HAVOC wherever YOU GO!!! CHOO!!

Why do people make excuses against Glenn?? "he knows the offense" "our LB core must not be strong".....what if Cody is just a stud at LB, just never played it before???

Give him some credit, making a risky move and happens to have a little success, that looks to have surprised a lot of people. I'd like to see the people on this board go play D1 running back for 3 years then make a move to D and after 2 weeks, earn a starting spot. (i know thats not "offical" though).

Relax, I don't think anyone here thinks he is bad....and are looking for excuses why that is. After last season....and the what seemed liked 8 year reign of Coach "I have done a good job in all aspects" the fans are skeptical. And rightfully so. Are we supportive? I would say more now than any time over the last 5 years.

There are more reasons for us to be skeptical than to be convinced he is the best LB in the big 12.

Glenn's move, and supposed dominance is just so out of the ordinary that it is going to be an "I have to see it to believe it" type of things.

Some guys are just natural football players, and I think Glenn must be one of those, his prowess makes up for the lessons on technique... he will be fine. and barring injury, will see a lot of PT next year. If not because he is one of the best LB's we have, but because we can count the # of LB's we have on one hand it seems.

didn't texas recruit him as a linebacker out of highschool?

Um, because this isn't HS football?

I don't care if you had Dick Butkus like talent, you should not stop playing a position for 3+ years then suddenly begin starting at a position like LB in the matter of a week. Moreover, it should not happen at a major D1 university that should have talent for days to even prevent something like this from happening.

For one reason beyond anything else going against Cody, he does not know the scheme and coverage practices. Do you think he stepped in and learned these faster than other kids who have studied this for months?

It is beyond bad looking on our LBs to have a guy become a LB and in a matter of a week take someones job.

That is no knock on Cody, but a knock on the overall depth we have at LB.

where the hell does the name BUCK come from? WILL is weakside, MIKE is middle...these names make sense. SAM is strongside...makes sense. What the hell is BUCK? Broadside?

I don't honestly care what the terminology is, but have it make some f*ckin sense.

sorry for the off topic question.

I remember Glenn bringing the pain against ISU and A&M two years ago, but where's he been since. The fact that he can go from basically fourth-string RB to first-string LB shows that he can play ball.

I don't care if you had Dick Butkus like talent, you should not stop playing a position for 3+ years then suddenly begin starting at a position like LB in the matter of a week. Moreover, it should not happen at a major D1 university that should have talent for days to even prevent something like this from happening.

For one reason beyond anything else going against Cody, he does not know the scheme and coverage practices. Do you think he stepped in and learned these faster than other kids who have studied this for months?

It is beyond bad looking on our LBs to have a guy become a LB and in a matter of a week take someones job.

Then by all means..

We shouldn't let Cody start..What would ESPN say?

The other conference schools will laugh at us.

Haha... I know right? I mean Glenn's success has nothing to do with the fact that he is probably the fastest LB, quickest LB, highest vertical LB, strongest squat about for the WHOLE team, between 3.0 and 4.0 GPA, work ethic, character...etc. IMO it is not showing lack of talent at LB for us, but just that this is where Cody has needed to play his whole collegiate career. Football is football... you hit and tackle every play. I guarantee you if Dick Butkus switched to LB after 3 years, he would have still started there. There is alot of thinking at every position, but some people think too much and that is where mistakes are made. It is not brain surgery at LB... if the OL comes up to pass block, you are a cover LB, if they come out hard at the DL, then it is most likely a run... 98% of the time those 2 reads are correct. The other 2% is where long TD's happen...

Then by all means..

We shouldn't let Cody start..What would ESPN say?

The other conference schools will laugh at us.

If that made any sense, I may know how to respond accordingly.

But I'll just use this to make you laugh ..

:moreinteresting

Haha... I know right? I mean Glenn's success has nothing to do with the fact that he is probably the fastest LB, quickest LB, highest vertical LB, strongest squat about for the WHOLE team, between 3.0 and 4.0 GPA, work ethic, character...etc. IMO it is not showing lack of talent at LB for us, but just that this is where Cody has needed to play his whole collegiate career. Football is football... you hit and tackle every play. I guarantee you if Dick Butkus switched to LB after 3 years, he would have still started there. There is alot of thinking at every position, but some people think too much and that is where mistakes are made. It is not brain surgery at LB... if the OL comes up to pass block, you are a cover LB, if they come out hard at the DL, then it is most likely a run... 98% of the time those 2 reads are correct. The other 2% is where long TD's happen...

And when you tell me where any of the things you mentioned correlate into actual football talent, I may be able to respond to you correctly as well. I'm glad GPA factors in to a player as well. Maybe some of those 5th string walk-ons we had with 4.0's should be studs!

In any case, if you think LB is as easy to play on the college level as you say, then God help you.

BigWillie

If you are so dumb to not realize that speed, strength, quickness, work ethic, and being smart are compatible with being a good football player, then with all due respect.. God help "you". Anybody with common sense knows this. Glenn has all of the above factors, and that "IS" the reason that he is doing well right now... not because "you" think that our LB group is not. I agree with you, our LB's are not by any means great... but at the same time just because 1 person does well gives you no reason to assume that all of the other LB's stink. Yes LB seems to be a weaker link for us, but me assuming that they are pretty good and Glenn is doing well is no different than you thinking that they all suck and Glenn sucks a little less... either way anyone looks at it, Glenn is still outperforming... even if it is a "Cinderella" story. And I never said playing LB is easy, I'm simply saying that it is harder to get passed blockers, get into pass coverage quickly, and make tackles than it is to understand what to do on a play. Knowing what to do is much easier than actually doing.