SIGNED: LB Eric Martin

Martin is a man and very well put together. Physically, he could have suited up yesterday for us. Kid is a monster in that regard.

However, he still has alot of work to do in pass coverage. I know he is dying to get on the field, but I hope he really thinks about his future and realizes a RS year would do him a world of good.

Kid is scary and will be a good one before it is all said and done though.

With the young depth that Bo and Carl seem to have now at LB, maybe letting him play on Special Teams is not a bad thing? If he Redshirts, he would only have one more year than Compton. Williams will RS for sure. Not that it is a bad thing, I just see a logjam at LB.

I don't mind this problem one bit (especially after last season) :)

One of the biggest draws for this kid was the opportunity to play early. With that in mind, he won't redshirt next year. I bet if he can learn the system he will get some clock at LB as well.

Scout makes it look like he has some work to do to qualify...anyone know more on this?

I agree, this kid has already put on a lot of muscle mass since we first started recruiting him. If he wants to play as a freshman, l say we let him.

Martin is a man and very well put together. Physically, he could have suited up yesterday for us. Kid is a monster in that regard.

However, he still has alot of work to do in pass coverage. I know he is dying to get on the field, but I hope he really thinks about his future and realizes a RS year would do him a world of good.

physically how does he compare to compton and williams?

OWH's take:

California linebacker commits to Cornhuskers

BY JON NYATAWA

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN – The Nebraska football program picked up an oral commitment from a California linebacker Sunday night, a pledge that increases the Huskers’ 2009 recruiting class to 21 known members now just two days before the national signing period begins.

Eric Martin, from Moreno Valley, Calif., becomes the latest and maybe final addition to a group of prospective Huskers who’ll have their first opportunity on Wednesday to sign letters of intent to play football at Nebraska.

Martin’s the fifth Californian to join the class, but now just the second linebacker after the Huskers and Pennsylvania linebacker Shawn Bodtmann parted ways in January. Chris Williams, a Parade All-American linebacker from Abilene, Texas, gave Nebraska an oral commitment in October.

Martin may not be as heralded as Williams, but maybe his best attribute is one that’s difficult to evaluate by statistics alone, according to his Rancho Valley High School coach, Pete Duffy.

Martin’s willing to embrace the game’s most physical elements, an on-the-field trait that helped the 6-foot-2, 220-pound player start at linebacker for three straight years under Duffy.

"He’s big, fast and strong, and he runs into people," Duffy said. "He runs around blocks when he has to, but he’s not going to shy away from contact. He plays at a high energy level all the time."

That hard-working mentality may have been one of the reasons why Martin connected with the NU staff on his recent visit to Nebraska’s campus.

He got along great with linebackers coach Mike Ekeler and both Bo and Carl Pelini, Duffy said. Plus, Martin was enamored by the Husker football team’s significance to the state and its followers.

"He liked the feel of Nebraska football, the importance of it, when he was there," Duffy said. "He talked about it, how it was obvious that it was the big (thing) in town."

Martin chose Nebraska over Arizona State and other Pac-10 suitors.

Fitting in is something that Martin says he had no problem doing at Nebraska, where he visited on Jan. 24, despite their distance from California. “I’m not too worried about the distance,” he said. “I think the transition would be hard, especially considering going from the sun to 40 degree cold, but I think I’d get used to it. I’m going to college to play football, not for the weather.”

Did anyone tell him that was the temp in October? Nevermind the temps in December and January!

Welcome to Nebraska Eric, you'll be so jacked up for games you won't even realize it's cold out! :)

Daily Nebraskan

California linebacker Eric Martin commits to Nebraska

Coach: California linebacker Eric Martin commits to Nebraska

By Max Olson

DAILY NEBRASKAN

Published: Monday, February 2, 2009

Nebraska’s recruiting drought is over.

After going over 40 days without securing any new prospects, the Cornhusker coaching staff picked up a commitment this weekend with only a few days to go until signing day.

On Sunday night, linebacker Eric Martin decided he wants to be a Husker, picking the school over Arizona and Arizona State.

The 6-foot-3, 230-pound linebacker hails from Rancho Verde High School in Moreno Valley, Calif. He is rated a three-star prospect on the recruiting Web site Rivals.com. He is also ranked the 26th-best linebacker in the nation on Rivals.com.

Martin visited Lincoln on Jan. 23 and took one final trip to Arizona State this weekend before coming to his decision. Rancho Verde coach Pete Duffy said it was a close race and a difficult decision for his linebacker.

“All three staffs did such a great job recruiting him, and Eric is a kid that hates to say no to anybody, especially a coach,” Duffy said.

Duffy said coaches were in and out of Martin’s house over the past week and that all three schools worked hard in the final week to make their case.

“It was really hard, because there was really no wrong answer and he knew that. All three are great places, so it was difficult,” Duffy said.

Martin is Nebraska’s second incoming player at the linebacker position, joining Chris Williams of Abilene, Texas. The Husker coaching staff recently withdrew its scholarship offer to Shawn Bodtmann, a linebacker commit from Scranton, Pa., who is now looking at Maine and Western Carolina.

Though the Huskers will return a number of linebackers that saw starting playing time in 2008, including Phillip Dillard, Blake Lawrence, Colton Koehler and Matt Holt, Duffy believes Martin will get a chance at immediate playing time.

“It seems like he’ll have an opportunity to come in and prove himself,” Duffy said. “I don’t think they’re looking for him to redshirt or be on the back-burner. I think he’s a guy they’ll throw in and see what he can do.”

With the young depth that Bo and Carl seem to have now at LB, maybe letting him play on Special Teams is not a bad thing? If he Redshirts, he would only have one more year than Compton. Williams will RS for sure. Not that it is a bad thing, I just see a logjam at LB.

I know that's what Eric wants. But I doubt Bo is silly enough to waste a player with the talent of Martin on ST coverage. He will either play snaps on defense or he won't play at all. No reason to waste talent on coverage duties.

physically how does he compare to compton and williams?

Chris and Eric are eerily similar. Both about the same size (although Eric is more defined) and have the same abilities. Both play with reckless abandon and are great blitzers. Both are probably better suited for WILL than any other position. However, both are pretty bad dropping into coverage right now.

Compton was a good size LB but not as well put together as either of these guys coming out of HS. He also does not play the game with the reckless abandon like those guys did. He was however very more cerebral to the game and understands the game quite a bit better than either of those guys did. Compton is also better at getting off blocks, using his hands and dropping into coverage which is why he could have played this year if not for the shoulder problems.