CB Joshua Brown

This guy has wanted to commit for a LONG time. If he doesn't commit in the near future, it will not be because he did not want to.

Package with Golston? Any chance on getting Golston to visit the same weekend or is Nebraska cooling on him too?

I wouldn't say Nebraska has cooled on Brown. I would actually put him pretty high on our CB board. I was more talking about his potential grade issues. If it wasn't for that, we would have already closed this kid.

And on Golston -- I think we will only take 1 and MAYBE 2 more LB's if a highly rated kid decides he wants to jump in. If someone like a Jacquain Williams who the coaches supposedly love, suddenly changed his mind then we would likely take 2 LBs. If we take Golston, I would guess we struck out with some other guys like an Eric Martin.

OCTOBER 29, 2008. PREP STAR

JOSHUA BROWN, CB, 6-0, 175, 4.4, LANCASTER, TEXAS (HUSKER JOURNAL)

“I’m going to commit to Coach Beck (Nebraska) tomorrow. He usually calls me about 7 to 7:30 PM when I get back from practice. I like the tradition and atmosphere at Nebraska. The whole state supports the team.” Brown said

“I’ve been to Nebraska’s summer camp it was good. I learned a lot of techniques at camp. I like Bo, he’s a cool guy. He doesn’t beat around the bushes. Nebraska coaches said I have a chance to play early next year, it’s up to me how I do.” Brown said

“I’m cleared by the Clearing House. I was cleared before the season.” Brown added

“Nebraska likes me in the bump and run, and I’m a physical player.” Brown said

“Minnesota and Utah are still recruiting me hard. They read on the Internet that my leaning towards Nebraska.” Brown said

“I’m excited about being a Husker.” Brown said

I'm pretty sure we will make room for Gabe Lynn! I like Brown though, we need physical CBs to be able to compete with all the talent at WR in the Big XII...

Remember too that Brown actually plays safety in HS and so too does Lynn. Both project as either safeties or as CB's. Byrd is a pure CB. So, because of the safety/cb versatility of both Brown and Lynn the notion of "filling up at CB" is a misnomer. Any of these guys willing will be accepted --- after the fact where they distribute between S and CB will be figured out. So.... my point is that two more DB's -- in addition to Brown --- if they are the right guys will be accepted.

Of course, Brown might call up Beck today and be told to hold off for now. :dunno

My guess is they told all of the DB offers (other than Lynn) that slots are filling up, only 1 or 2 more DBs will be taken, and first to commit gets the scholly. I'd imagine a spot would be held for Lynn possibly overlapping with other positions. May also go over by a few spots expecting natural attrition.

Of course, Brown might call up Beck today and be told to hold off for now. :dunno

My guess is they told all of the DB offers (other than Lynn) that slots are filling up, only 1 or 2 more DBs will be taken, and first to commit gets the scholly. I'd imagine a spot would be held for Lynn possibly overlapping with other positions. May also go over by a few spots expecting natural attrition.

With the attrition they had from last year's class and Cody Green coming in this January, could his scholly count against last year's total leaving room for one more?

• 1 month later...

Latest from Husker Journal:

DECEMBER 22, 2008. PREP STAR

JOSH BROWN, CB, 5-11, 175, 4.45, LANCASTER, TEXAS

“I’m in Florida right now visiting my Mom. I’m going to Utah (offer) when I get back in January.” Brown said

“Utah plays in a good conference (Mountain West), a lot of good schools play in that conference. At Utah I have a chance to play early, that was a goal of mine. The Utah coaches were at my school not too long ago. They (Utah) have a pretty good coaching staff they plan on being there for a long time.” Brown added

Big 12 Schools Courting Brown

“The schools that I’m really looking at going to are Baylor and Kansas State, they been at my school asking about me a week ago. They haven’t offered yet but when I get there they will.” Brown said

“Baylor and Kansas State didn’t see me when they were at the school last spring it was baseball season. Once I get the offers from them I will commit between the two.” Brown said

Suspended and Confusion

“Middle of the season I got mad when we were losing a game. At the end of the game, instead of shaking hands I took off for the locker room and I got suspended for two games. Coach Beck (Nebraska) didn’t think I was still on the team, he thought I was kicked off the team for real. My coach said all I had to do is call Coach Beck and tell him. I decided just to leave it alone.” Brown said

Brown didn’t have much to say about Kansas State and Baylor until he gets more familiar with the coaches and takes some visits there.