LSU after Bo.

... so, is Bo missed at LSU?

here's a hint...

“We lost a great coordinator in Bo Pelini,” Peveto said, “one of the best I’ve been around.”

So good that Peveto said he and Mallory still occasionally call Lincoln to pick Pelini’s brain about this formation or that coverage. So good that the defensive system Pelini left has remained essentially intact since the Tigers smothered Ohio State 38-24 in January’s BCS national championship game. A defense that finished third nationally last season in yards per game allowed.

“It’s a great system,” Peveto said, “especially when you look at where that system comes from. Bo’s got a pro background. He’s been around Monte Kiffin and Pete Carroll and the Stoops brothers.

“Why fix something that ain’t broke? The game changes, there are wrinkles year in and year out. That’s why we visit with Bo and make sure we’re staying on the cutting edge.”

plus a little be of commentary from an LSU booster...

A lot of people complained last year (myself included) that we played too much zone, played too passively, and generally didn't use our speed enough. But then the season ended and the NFL scouting combines occurred. Lo and behond, we really didn't have all that much speed. Both Jonathan Zenon and Chevis Jackson were slower than we thought, and Ali Highsmith was MUCH slower than we thought.

Given that the overall athleticism was not as high as we thought it was, Pelini's reliance on zone and less frequent blitzing was perfectly understandable.

i'm gonna throw this out to you in the peanut gallery: do the prospective blackshirts we have right now have the speed to do all the things that bo wants to do? could it be possible that Nebraska have an even better defense this season than LSU had last season?

i yield the floor to you.

here's a hint...

“We lost a great coordinator in Bo Pelini,” Peveto said, “one of the best I’ve been around.”

So good that Peveto said he and Mallory still occasionally call Lincoln to pick Pelini’s brain about this formation or that coverage. So good that the defensive system Pelini left has remained essentially intact since the Tigers smothered Ohio State 38-24 in January’s BCS national championship game. A defense that finished third nationally last season in yards per game allowed.

“It’s a great system,” Peveto said, “especially when you look at where that system comes from. Bo’s got a pro background. He’s been around Monte Kiffin and Pete Carroll and the Stoops brothers.

“Why fix something that ain’t broke? The game changes, there are wrinkles year in and year out. That’s why we visit with Bo and make sure we’re staying on the cutting edge.”

A lot of people complained last year (myself included) that we played too much zone, played too passively, and generally didn't use our speed enough. But then the season ended and the NFL scouting combines occurred. Lo and behond, we really didn't have all that much speed. Both Jonathan Zenon and Chevis Jackson were slower than we thought, and Ali Highsmith was MUCH slower than we thought.

Given that the overall athleticism was not as high as we thought it was, Pelini's reliance on zone and less frequent blitzing was perfectly understandable.

i'm gonna throw this out to you in the peanut gallery: do the prospective blackshirts we have right now have the speed to do all the things that bo wants to do? could it be possible that Nebraska have an even better defense this season than LSU had last season?

These comments really validate the notion that Bo knows defense. He seems to have his players play within their limits and maximizes what they are able to get done. As to your two questions --- do the Blackshirts have speed? Tough to tell. Seems that the speed in the secondary is at least good and maybe very good. At LB the speed is really, really not there. The OLB's Blake Lawrence and Wortman and Glenn are very limited. In the middle, a slimed down Dillard may be average in speed. But, the overall speed at LB (and skill) is very limited. Maybe the freshman Compton can help, who knows. But help is needed. As to can the NU defense rival the LSU defense --- well,..... no, no, and no definitely not, not close, and not even within the realm of comparison. I do not know where the LSU defense ranked last year --- #6 or so?. Anyway, NU was what, lower than #105. If the NU defense improves to say # 50 that would be a monumental improvement (while LSU will be a top 20). Remember NU loses Grixby (a three year contributor), Green, Jones, Ruud, Octavian, McKeon --- six starters (yes you can argue that they were not that good --- but do not discount that group, they were the best we had at the time). To expect that the # 105 defense would improve at all losing, arguably, 6 of its top 9 defenders is really being optimistic. But with Bo in charge I think we can improve a great deal --- to #50, maybe --- but to LSU stuff...... no.

As big of a Homer as I am for Nebraska football, the personnel that we currently have is not as good as LSU had last year. LSU's players had a better understanding of the system than our players have. I don't think we have any more speed than they had, and without looking at rosters to compare, I dare say that we don't have the size. We also don't have a Dorsey at this point...

This is going to be a progression, and it may be painful the first year, especially on defense. If we do anything, the offense will have to step up to the plate and play like they did last year, with maybe a little more improvement, that is something that is a real possibility with this team. But we also need to take the opportunities that come along during the season and get some of the younger players some time on the field. This team will not be a championship team in 2008...but the younger kids have a great opportunity here if they will step up and take the challenge.

I think the speed and strength of the defense this season is going to depend on the changes to the strength and conditioning program. The talent was inside these kids, but Callahan and Co. destroyed it! We are not even close to the athletic level that LSU has/had, but I think Bo can get these kids to play in schemes that will help where they are lacking in ability.

I think it is unrealistic and unfair to compare this years Husker defense with last years LSU defense. Like a previous poster mentioned they had time in the system on their side and better overall talent.

Will we get there? I would say yes we will. Just not this year. We will improve and gain confidence and improve more the next year and eventually we will have players that know the system and will play with more instinct and be able to fly to the ball better.

I am optimistic that we will be a good defense this year but we will get exposed at times and I hope the kids have enough intestinal fortitude to with stand the low times.

We have to give Bo time to work his magic and not get frustrated if it comes slower then our expectations.

GBR

My reasons for optimism are a product of a couple of factors. Bo's style of defense isn't so much a prevention of yards as it is a high, high, high emphasis on turnovers. And Lo and Behold, guess who was number one in turnovers last season?

The LSU Tigers: 13 fumbles gained and 21 interceptions. 34 total. That, folks, is a heapin' helpin' of turnovers.

Even in the NCAA football video game the zone coverage can be diced apart on short routes, but after enough time passes there's too many guys covering one little bubble and an interception happens. Mix that with a Glenn Dorsey applying pressure up the middle (perhaps a Suh?) and intelligent play from the linebackers, we could see a fantastic improvement in the defense.

Will we be better than LSU was last year? No, probably not. Anything is possible, I suppose, but let's not get carried away until after the VT game. If we pitch a shutout against the Hokies it'll be another story, but until that happens I'm just hoping that Coach Sanders can get the secondary looking for the ball and picking passes all day long. Keep the D off the field as much as possible, wear out their defense with our stacked backfield and massive line.

Whatever happens, I really want to see a few of these this year...

:bonez:bonez:bonez

look what Bo did in the one year that he was the DC here at NU....50 some turn overs?

everyone says that the talent level was down because of FS, and that NU now has more talented players, just hadnt been coached very well lately (COZ) (BC)

Will NU be #3 Defense, NO but they will be a lot better than they were last year, reguardless of who is not returning.

I don't think they make it to LSU status, but I think we will see across the board improvement(hard not to). I think a top 40-50 defense is not out of the question, but a top 10 defense may be a reach. Maybe in a year or 2.

look what Bo did in the one year that he was the DC here at NU....50 some turn overs?

everyone says that the talent level was down because of FS, and that NU now has more talented players, just hadnt been coached very well lately (COZ) (BC)

Will NU be #3 Defense, NO but they will be a lot better than they were last year, reguardless of who is not returning.

Well, I am not one of the everyone then. I'd clearly say that NU had more talent left over upon FS's exit than now upon the exit of Callahan. There have been many posts on this and a good subset of the posters agree that the NU talent post-Solich was better than the NU talent post-Callahan. Granted most seem to go the other way and many others still are unsure. But there are plenty here who do not see NU now as having anywhere near the talent that they had the 1st year after Solich left.

This is why a #50 defense --- one that is OK, would be a monster improvement over last year.

here's a hint...

no, not even remotely close. we are shy a bunch of athletes and experience! a bunch!!

Will the 2008 Nebraska team have as good as a defense as the 2007 LSU team? No.

Will the 2008 Nebraska team have an average defense? Yes. They will have their problems, and there will be games where alot of yardage (and points) is given up, but I feel this defense may come through in some crucial times during some big games leading to some unexpected W's. However, I think the Huskers may be a couple years from a solid LSU defense.

I have seen crazier things happen though, but it's unlikely.

It is too bad my Husker glasses fell off my head last year at the SC game. I just do not see things as red as some of you guys.

There is not a snow balls chance in well you know where, that we will be even remotely close to the level of LSU's defense. I could not drink that much Kool Aid in ten years to even fathom how someone could consider it a possiblity. Ocean front property in Nebraska is more likely.

And I want to remind you that most of the turnovers that Bo's Nebraska team had were against the low lifes on the schedule. When we played the top teams we did not dominate the turnover margin When we played teams with a pulse we got hammered. And with a lot more talent on the field than he now has to work with.

Williams, Bulloch twins and a few more.

I am afraind we are going to see this team play well for the first few series and then the wheels come off just like last year. The talent is not there for Bo to do what he has every where else. Talent loaded situations. Motor determins some of LSU's defense, and we have lacked that primary ingredient for the last two years.

Be ready for 7-5, and in honesty that is a great improvement.

No, we won't be as good. I agree with skers fan on a few things. This team will get thumped on a little this year. We as fans need to be realistic, we are starting to rebuild. This first season will expose and teach us a lot. But, when this team is down they need to keep fighting and giving 110%. They need to re-discover that heart that is Nebraska Football, and to be a Blackshirt. Show the younger guys that you keep working harder than you have ever worked before week in and week out. I don't care about how many games we win. I just want to see effort and heart, if this teams sets a standard for the nexts teams to come and instills that level of effort in the younger guys then in time the wins will take care of itself.

For this defense to be anything better than a top 50 defense would be greatly over achieving. I like the guys we have, but this is their first year in a new system coming off a year of huge disapointment. It will be hard to keep the execution consistent especially when their confidence takes a hit. Can they stay in it mentally will be a big hump to get over.

I dont think Bo will put up with losing, or anything less than a 100% effort. And if the effort is there, but still underperforming players, I bet he will get someone else in there to get it done. He's got the schemes, he knows what he wants, & he knows who he needs. Simple stuff.

I think it really will be a week-to-week challenge; no looking ahead. Preparing his team to get the most out of them. Challenging them, pushing them.

If you cant even get to the battlefield, how you gonna win the war?

Expectations, predictions = fun stuff for fans & media outlets. The only expectation needed at this time is coming straight from Pelini to his team.

I really hope everything works out. I'm anxious, but I'm only looking foward to the first game of the season. One at a time.