DE Craig Roh

Player: Craig Roh

Hometown: Scottsdale, AZ

Position: DE

Height: 6'5"

Weight: 225 lbs.

40 time: 4.75

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Arizona, Arizona State, Miami (FL), Michigan, Oklahoma, Stanford, USC

Schools of Interest:

Favorites:

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: stargold.gifstargold.gifstargold.gifstargold.gif

(#8 DE)

Craig Roh on Rivals.com

Bid Red Report: stargold.gifstargold.gifstargold.gifstargold.gif

(#8 DE)

Craig Roh on Scout.com

Assessing the talent:

Recorded 99 tackles and 15.5 sacks as a junior. Was also named 1st team all region, all city, all area and all state.

Roh: "My strengths are my ability to read an offense. My biggest asset is my mind. I study a lot of film. My speed is also a strength. Getting off the edge is important for a defensive end.”

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 5%. Everyone is after this guy.

552789.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Article on Nebraska's Scout.com page saying Roh has narrowed it down to five.

http://nebraska.scout.com/a.z?s=204&p=...d2%26c%3d775086

I don't have experience with how Scout works, but that looks to me like a pretty good indication that we just made this dude's top 5. If so, SWEET! Because he sounds like a BEAST.

Yes, Nebraska is in nice company: UCLA, Arizona State, Michigan, USC. Interesting Arizona didn't make the cut. FYI his father grew up in Michigan.

Apparently Cal, LSU and Stanford are not entirely out of the picture yet.

Here is info from an Arizona news blog:

Highly recuited Chaparral DE narrows football ist

Chaparral defensive end Craig Roh has his top five for college football (in no particular order). Here they are with a few words from the 6-foot-5, 235-pound sack machine on each:

Arizona State: :"Great opportunity to play and it's home."

Southern California: "Great tradition. I love their philosophies."

UCLA: "Good academics and I like the direction of their new coaching staff."

Nebraska: "Again, great tradition."

Michigan: "Lots of tradition. Great football school."

He also has three others he's considering:

Louisiana State: "They're crazy about football there."

California: "Great academics and good, young coaching staff."

Stanford: "Great academic situation and a chance to play right away."

The only schools Roh has not made unofficial visits to are Nebraska, LSU and Cal.

"We wanted to get it down to a manageable level so he can concentrate on the football season," said Fred Roh, Craig's father. "As you can tell, those top five are great schools with great programs. Probably in the next two weeks, he'll decide on his official visits (he can take five)."

Roh hadn't really thought much about Nebraska and LSU until the past month when those two schools began pushing hard for the honor student.

"LSU is graduating six or seven linemen (after this season), and they're trying to reload," Fred said.

Chaparral coach Charlie Ragle said that the three schools Craig hasn't seen, "says a lot about those schools.

"He can take his time in deciding on the eight schools," Ragle said.

Says Craig: "There's no bad choices in those. I'll try to make official visits (during the season) as long as it doesn't interfere with my season. I'm planning on five visits, but if I really like a place I'll commit then and no prolong it. I want to put my focus on my season."

Chaparral leaves Monday for camp in Payson.

You can probably count one of Roh's visits during the late September weekend that ASU plays host to top-ranked Georgia.

Heh heh. His coach must be getting sick of all the calls from colleges (from 7/15):

Scottsdale Chaparral coach Charlie Ragle said he talked to defensive end Craig Roh's father, Fred, Monday night to let him know that it's time for Craig to narrow it to five.

Ragle said he expects Roh to get it narrowed down in the next week to 10 days. Ragle said he believes Michigan, ASU and USC all to be in the mix. The Rohs took an unofficial visit to Michigan this summer. Fred Roh grew up in Michigan, so having family there is a strong selling point.

NICE.

I like that considering Michigan only has 4 gimme wins and has a legitimate shot at losing the rest of them. Opening with Utah is serious business and rolling that around into a Notre Dame/Wisconsin/Illinois back to back with only a weeks breather is going to be rough for Rich Rod to handle with a new program. At Purdue is no easy victory and they are scheduled against all 4 of the top Big Ten teams.

NICE.

I like that considering Michigan only has 4 gimme wins and has a legitimate shot at losing the rest of them. Opening with Utah is serious business and rolling that around into a Notre Dame/Wisconsin/Illinois back to back with only a weeks breather is going to be rough for Rich Rod to handle with a new program. At Purdue is no easy victory and they are scheduled against all 4 of the top Big Ten teams.

Don't forget Northwestern either. They upset a top-ranked Big Ten team once a year (see OSU, Wisconsin, etc.), and their squad is solid this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like hes visiting Michigan first....

Per ESPN:

Under Armour defensive end Craig Roh sets visit No. 1

ESPNU 150 member Craig Rob, the nation's No. 5-rated defensive end, will to travel to Ann Arbor, Mich. to attend the Wolverines season opener against the Utah Utes, ESPN's Craig Habuert reports.

Looks like hes visiting Michigan first....

Per ESPN:

Under Armour defensive end Craig Roh sets visit No. 1

ESPNU 150 member Craig Rob, the nation's No. 5-rated defensive end, will to travel to Ann Arbor, Mich. to attend the Wolverines season opener against the Utah Utes, ESPN's Craig Habuert reports.

Ah good. He'll get to see how RichRod handles a loss. Word on the street is not too well.