Dobson's conditioning program yielding results

LJS

The scale isn’t the only thing that tells Matt Slauson he’s lost weight.

So does his back. And knees, too.

“I feel great,” Slauson said. “It’s a whole new game for me. I’m able to fly around. After practices, I feel better. My recovery is good, just because of the drop in weight.”

From?

“A lot more,” Slauson said, smiling.

Football strength coach James Dobson confirmed Slauson topped 350 pounds when a new coaching staff arrived last winter. Cruz Barrett, another offensive lineman, also weighed 350. He’s now 315. Lineman Keith Williams dropped from 330 to 303.

Lean is in, and it might have as much to do with a potential turnaround this fall as the happier attitudes in Husker camp.

“I’m a lot leaner than I was last year,” said senior defensive end Zach Potter, who went from 295 pounds to 280. “I feel a lot more comfortable.”

Several players share similar stories. Fullback Thomas Lawson dropped from 270 to 247, lineman Jaivario Burkes from 345 to 315, running back Quentin Castille from 255 to 233 and linebacker Phillip Dillard from 260 to 237.

“Phil, it’s a whole new game for him, too,” Slauson said. “He’s flying around faster than I’ve ever seen.”

Slauson said he’s still on the diet he began in January. He’s focused simply on eating smarter and including the proper foods, as well as monitoring his sleeping habits.

Dillard said no late-night eating was key for him. That, and cutting cupcakes and ice cream.

“Rocky Road,” he said. “That’s my enemy.”

The football field will see more than just slimmer bodies, though. Quicker ones, too.

It started in winter conditioning and continued through spring and summer with Dobson’s workout program. Flexibility, speed development and explosion are emphasized.

“Everything is quick, quick-twitch, short movement, really short agility stuff,” Slauson said. “For our conditioning, we would do like 50-yard runs. That’s it. That was the longest we’d have to go.

“It’s a change from two 100-yard sprints and three 50s and two miles.”

Potter said the longest drills were 13-second bursts, followed by 14 seconds of rest — drills that were designed to simulate game plays. Routines were also different each day.

“Our body had to keep guessing,” Potter said. “Our body couldn’t get in a routine.”

Redshirted freshman Marcel Jones, who’s now 6-foot-7, 310 pounds, is also a bit slimmer. Not only is Jones faster, he’s also stronger, he said.

“Beforehand, we were quick, but we were more power-schemed,” Jones said. “Coach Dobson came in and he added the athleticism to that. So now we’re strong and we’re a little bit quicker.”

Castille has noticed a change. He said he’s able to block better and find holes easier.

“Everything’s moving faster. I can say that,” Castille said. “A couple of linemen lost weight over the break this year, and man, everybody’s moving so fast.

“I like that, because the holes break open easier, and it makes your assignments way easier to read.”

Not everybody’s smaller. Tight end Mike McNeill weighs 243 pounds, up from 229 last season. Center Jacob Hickman is up 10 pounds, to around 290. Prince Amukamara said he’s gained nearly 20 pounds, at one time surpassing 200.

“I know everybody gets caught up in the body weights, but it’s really about body composition — how much lean body mass you have compared to how much fat mass you have,” said Dobson, in his first year at Nebraska.

“Sometimes their body weight stays similar within three to five pounds, but yet when you do a body composition analysis, their lean mass has gone up, and their fat mass has gone down.”

Reach Brian Rosenthal at 473-7436 or brosenthal@journalstar.com.

Jaivario Burkes from 345 to 315

Lost weight and now suffering from high blood pressure? I'm no doctor, but those two things don't go together usually. I am concerned for the young man.

It could easily just be unfortunate genetics.

Yes. His family has a history of high blood pressure. At least I'm pretty sure I read that in the paper...

The past few years there was NO work ethic, no reason to condition because the coaching staff was not following through by coaching anyone so they knew they needed it. Everyone was sitting back partying and getting fat and drunk. It is about time someone makes the players accountable for being in the best possible shape they can be in. Welcome back, Huskers....been a long time. Conditioning is what Nebraska was all about during the glory years...that is the start of the revival we all are looking forward to.

Not to be the negative one, but I seen and heard the same reports on how tough the conditioning was on BC's first team.

When I see the O-line re-establishing the LOS 5 yards down the field then I'll believe it.

Amen! Conditioning gets alot of hype in the off season. But until we prove our superior conditioning with the game on the line in the 4th Qt. Then I'll get excited about the W&C program.

Jaivario Burkes from 345 to 315

Lost weight and now suffering from high blood pressure? I'm no doctor, but those two things don't go together usually. I am concerned for the young man.

It could easily just be unfortunate genetics.

Yes. His family has a history of high blood pressure. At least I'm pretty sure I read that in the paper...

Perhaps bad diet is causing his problem. He watches his diet, maybe he can get off medication.

Not to be the negative one, but I seen and heard the same reports on how tough the conditioning was on BC's first team.

When I see the O-line re-establishing the LOS 5 yards down the field then I'll believe it.

I couldn't agree with you more. There's been alot of talk going on since Bo got here, he has my full support but I'm tired of the talk. It's time to show up and walk the walk. Aug. 30th can't get here soon enought.