What if?

God forbid we lose, suicide will run rampant in the streets.

This team has the ability to beat us. Not likely but it is there. We all need to quit drinking so much kool aid and look at things how they are not how they appear to be through the rose colored glasses.

If any other team had what we have as far as proven talent, depth and experience and coaching we would be saying not a chance.

Some here are knocking on Michigan, pretty much the same story as we have.

We need to get through this season, and then we will have an idea of what we have. And what we need.

It's a valid question. I feel a lot better about the direction so far. I wasnt one of the big Pelini fanatics. But over time I am liking what's been happening so far. We will find out more as we go week to week. Not sure if there is fool proof formula to rebuild a program into a successful one, but I'm sure coaching, talent, hard work, and a solid defense is a great start. I also think you need to throw the ball. When the defense is giving up points & your offense isnt moving the ball on the ground, you gotta be able to score quickly. Sometimes just to stay in a game or generate a comeback. With that said, I like the offense too. Balance attack.

But to honestly answer your question, "what if"? Say three to four years down the road and it's 7 or 8 wins a season, finishing 2nd & 3rd place in the division, I'd go crazy. I wouldnt deal with it well. I really wouldnt.

I like to have high expectations with that N on that helmet. Every time they win it makes me feel good, and losing sucks. Painful even. Let's hope it doesnt get to that.

How can we not have recovered? That was seven years ago. None of the same players at this point. I just have a problem with pointing to that one game and thinking that that game was the end of something or whatever. I think we have to worry about recovering from last year, not one game that while we ended up giving alot of points wasn't quite the drubbing it got made out to be, nothing like many of those games last year.

When was the last time we matter on a national level? That year and that game basically was the beginning of the end of us in the National picture. The next game only exposed us even more. I'm sorry but when teh #2 team in the country gives up over 500 yards and 62 points to the #14 team that is a drubbing. There is no other way to look at it. That game is kind of like when Roy Jones Jr got beat the first time people started taking notice that maybe this rough and tough dude wasn't what he was made out to be. Look what has happened since he has been beaten a few more times and has beaten NOBODY of substance. Sounds like us after getting smacked in the face by CU.

I'm sorry but 7-7, 10-3, 5-6, 8-4, 9-5, 5-7 doesn't equal being back. Being ranked in the final rankings twice in that same span doesn't equal recovering from getting smacked in the face.

No, no no. What I am really trying (and not doing a good job) to get at is that ONE game is not the CAUSE of years of not being top 10. That just isn't the way it works unless you believe in mystical bullcrap. You are simplifying the problem. This isn't a boxing match. I'm not saying that that loss didn't have a larger negative effect than most losses do, but if you look at that game our offense was doing just fine, a couple calls go our way and that game is even closer, I said I don't think of it as a drubbing because until some sh**ty calls late in the game it was still in reach and they weren't stopping us any more than we were them. The reason i say we recovered isn't because we were top ten the next year, but our defense was solid once again- losing our entire offense (crouch) from the previous year is what led to the 3 big losses to the 3 quality teams. But basically you can't take a program involving hundreds of coaches and players, millions of fans and whatnot and think of it in this manner like you are, I'm glad you brought up boxing because that is exactly the mentality with which you are looking at it as and you just can't do that IMHO.

I don't think it's paranoid or premature to wonder if the era of Husker dominance might be over for good. The things the program can control appear to be heading in the right direction. The thing they can't control is the expansion of parity in college football. All the legacy programs - the Notre Dames, Penn States, Alabamas, Michigans, Miamis - are going to be fighting to get back into the mix. But now your Central Florida, Rutgers, Wake Forest and Kansas have established expectations that never used to exist. And no one can afford to overlook an Appalachian State (or Western Michigan) again. I don't think you rattle off 30 some years of 9 and 10 wins anymore.

On the plus side, Nebraska fans should finally get to enjoy something other college fans have enjoyed for years: pulling off an upset.

I think some very valid points have been made in this thread. Just like the boxing comparison, there are several teams that have lost their invincible status like USC, OU, etc. Teams aren't afraid of the big boys anymore especially when they see a team like Stanford beat USC. One of the reasons I believe we are seeing all of this is due to coaching tenures. I'm not talking about the HC, rather I'm talking about the assistants. USC hasn't won a NC since Muschamp was there. Now, he's at UCLA with Rick the Prick Nudeheisel. Stoops at OU hasn't been the same since brother Mike left for Arizona. For us to get back to the top, we need to get back to what got us there in the first place. We need to keep a consistant staff without having a turnover of coaches every year or two. This is one of my biggest fears with Watson. I don't think we'll be down forever, but in the end none of us know how long it will take to get back to the top.

I won't start subscribing to chicken little scenarios until I see them play a few games.

Who said anything about the sky falling? I said I didn't see us being down forever.

On the flipside of the "chicken little" scenarios there are plenty of people in the Husker Nation that have already placed Pelini next to the Bobfather and TO and he hasn't coached a game. So what do we call those people?

Wide eyed innocents. They're like Precious Moments figurines. They may look evil but they're not hurting anyone.

I won't start subscribing to chicken little scenarios until I see them play a few games.

Who said anything about the sky falling? I said I didn't see us being down forever.

On the flipside of the "chicken little" scenarios there are plenty of people in the Husker Nation that have already placed Pelini next to the Bobfather and TO and he hasn't coached a game. So what do we call those people?

Wide eyed innocents. They're like Precious Moments figurines. They may look evil but they're not hurting anyone.

That is awesome. :clap I thought that I was the only person that was freaked out by Precious Moments figurines.

I think some very valid points have been made in this thread. Just like the boxing comparison, there are several teams that have lost their invincible status like USC, OU, etc. Teams aren't afraid of the big boys anymore especially when they see a team like Stanford beat USC. One of the reasons I believe we are seeing all of this is due to coaching tenures. I'm not talking about the HC, rather I'm talking about the assistants. USC hasn't won a NC since Muschamp was there. Now, he's at UCLA with Rick the Prick Nudeheisel. Stoops at OU hasn't been the same since brother Mike left for Arizona. For us to get back to the top, we need to get back to what got us there in the first place. We need to keep a consistant staff without having a turnover of coaches every year or two. This is one of my biggest fears with Watson. I don't think we'll be down forever, but in the end none of us know how long it will take to get back to the top.

Chow?