Husker_Power

Player: Latu Heimuli

Hometown: Salt Lake City, UT

Position: DT

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 296 lbs.

40 time:

Visit Date: 10/24/08

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon State, Utah, Washington, Washington State, BYU

Favorites: Nebraska, BYU

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: :star:star:star:star #26 DT

Bid Red Report: :star:star:star:star #10 DT

Assessing the talent: Earned first-team all-state honors by both the SLC Tribune and Deseret News as a junior.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 50%

I wonder if this is where a guy like Ron Brown on the staff helps out.

whys that?

he lives in salt lake city, and has byu as a favorite...

If Ron Brown is as straight with recruits about his faith as he is elsewhere, it might be less than helpful. The Mormon faith is not exactly viewed positively by orthodox Christianity, at least generally speaking.

Why are you guys making religion as the biggest factor in this kid's decision?? I'm sure just because Ron Brown is a very open christian man doesn't mean he's going to try and force his faith upon Latu, and even if he does say something, maybe Latu doesn't care about that. Perhaps he's looking at Nebraska for other reasons.

I wonder if this is where a guy like Ron Brown on the staff helps out.

whys that?

he lives in salt lake city, and has byu as a favorite...

If Ron Brown is as straight with recruits about his faith as he is elsewhere, it might be less than helpful. The Mormon faith is not exactly viewed positively by orthodox Christianity, at least generally speaking.

That wasn't the case in my church - maybe it these things differ from place to place.

Having a guy with strong christian faith would seem to be more plus than minus vs. having nobody. Imo anyways.

Why are you guys making religion as the biggest factor in this kid's decision?? I'm sure just because Ron Brown is a very open christian man doesn't mean he's going to try and force his faith upon Latu, and even if he does say something, maybe Latu doesn't care about that. Perhaps he's looking at Nebraska for other reasons.

I'm not saying he's going to force it upon the kid, I never said that. I don't even think his faith is the main reason he is looking at Nebraska. I was just responding to what another poster said.

For the record, I wasn't saying that those in "orthodox" Christianity hate Mormons or anything, but most view them as a "fringe," pseudo-Christian groups. Every Mormon I've met has been a great person, I just don't agree with their theology at all.

All of that aside, I really want to get this kid, seems like a real player.